Undercover Boss Tonight - NCL CEO

negc

Did anyone watch tonight's Undercover Boss featuring Kevin Sheehan of NCL?

I was struck by the fact that while RCI refers to its passengers as "guests", Mr. Sheehan views them simply as "customers". A subtle difference perhaps but I think that most people treat "guests" a bit better than they do "customers" and when the CEO uses the term "customer" rather than "guest", the employees are less inclined to give the passengers the special treatment that they would give a guest.

Also, I guess the "skating rink" was not the popular feature that NCL had hoped for and its days are clearly limited, if it has not already been discarded. Of course there was never any real comparison to the ice rinks that RCI offers on its biggest ships, but it was amusing to see them assembling this tacky thing that went totally unused.

Also, I guess the "skating rink" was not the popular feature that NCL had hoped for and its days are clearly limited, if it has not already been discarded. Of course there was never any real comparison to the ice rinks that RCI offers on its biggest ships, but it was amusing to see them assembling this tacky thing that went totally unused.

It seems like they want to be able to compete with RCL and the activities that their ships offer. So if they can offer a skating rink, no matter how tacky, it looks good when researching ships. If I had wanted to skate and saw their "skating rink", I would have been VERY disappointed.

Laughing at it right now...especially the fake ice rink, and lame rock wall that they use for downward motion claiming it as an industry first. Heck everyone who climbed up RCCL walls rappeled back down as well.

Makes me glad I haven't sailed the Epic...

I do want to do Hawaii so I don't have a lot of choice I guess...

I watched the show tonight and recognized Michael from the cruise director's staff as an ex-RCCL employee. He was part of the cruise director's staff on the Brilliance of the Seas when we did our Panama Canal cruise in Dec. 2006. We really got to know him well on the 11 day cruise. He was very funny and personable. I'm glad to see that they made him Assistant Cruise Director on the NCL Epic.

Another viewer here. I found it interesting, and agree with the "guests versus customers" mentality. Also laughed at the ice rink; although, skating with a view does have potential. :). All in all, fun to watch and reconfirms my desire to cruise on Allure this March.

Laughing at it right now...especially the fake ice rink, and lame rock wall that they use for downward motion claiming it as an industry first. Heck everyone who climbed up RCCL walls rappeled back down as well.

Makes me glad I haven't sailed the Epic...

I do want to do Hawaii so I don't have a lot of choice I guess...

You can do Hawaii on other lines if you have the time to sail from California. I have been on the Epic and thought it was so over-hyped, it was almost a crime. Very little to do other than the featured activities and shows. The shows take care of, at best, 4 nights. Not great shows either -- at least not for the majority.

You can do Hawaii on other lines if you have the time to sail from California. I have been on the Epic and thought it was so over-hyped, it was almost a crime. Very little to do other than the featured activities and shows. The shows take care of, at best, 4 nights. Not great shows either -- at least not for the majority.

Wish I had enough time to do Princess from West Coast to HI, but such is not the case...

What struck me and my wife was the general absence of guests (or customers) on the shots around the ship. I loved how the waitress knew him because she never forgets someone she has waited on and that's why her comment card ratings were always the highest!

The ice rink thing was incredibly lame. That would have been a real downer if I'd been booked on that ship and looking for the rink. At least he had the good sense to see the lameness and chop that thing on the spot.

On the upside, you did get a decent look into the way they're running. Not too bad, even if you consider it as a longer than average NCL commercial.

DH and I cruised on Epic two months before our cruise on Oasis. I absolutely loved Epic (I am an NCL fan). Epic's entertainment was the best I had seen at sea in 29 cruises. You can't go wrong with Blue Man Group and Legends in Concert. Both shows are great productions with trade mark professional companies. The Legends Unplugged show was fantastic too, featuring the singers and dancers in a rousing Motown tribute with a teaser from the impersonators.

The Cirque Dreams show was great entertainment in a small intimate venue. The athletes and acrobats performed some amazing feats. On a moving ship, it is so difficult to imagine how they do it.

The smaller venues offered great entertainment also. Howl at the Moon is a dueling pianos show and there is non stop entertainment in that venue from 9pm to 1am. There are always two pianists performing with one person to relieve them for their breaks.

Jeff Hobson, the comedian/magician is getting rave reviews from folks who have seen his show. He was on vacation when we were on Epic but I was curious enough to check him out on the internet. He looks like a hoot and had me laughing out loud just watching his videos.

Having said how much I enjoyed the entertainment on Epic, I must admit I did not think Oasis could top the entertainment Epic has to offer. I was wrong..."Hairspray" takes the prize for the best show at sea. I haven't been on Allure yet so "Chicago" may also be another show stopper. I've always enjoyed the ice shows on RCCL's larger ships and Oasis did not disappoint. The sand artist guest performer was the hit of that show.

Back to Epic...I feel bad that she is getting a bad rap on this thread and I would imagine most folks that have negative things to say have not sailed on Epic. One plus for Epic over Oasis is Epic has the largest water park at sea. This 61 year old was like a kid again and I had a ball on the slides on Epic. I wouldn't dare try the flow rider on any RCCL ships as I'm afraid wiping out would wipe me out.

I enjoyed both ships immensely and I'm glad both lines offer a product that makes a cruise vacation one of the best vacations available to many people.

Just finishing watching the show. Hubby didn't and asked what I thought. I simply stated that I will stick with RCI. We cruised NCL years ago and loved it. But, I am not a fan of free style cruising. The Hot White party took me over the edge. I guess I am old fashion. I like RCI's service and smaller ships (Radiance and Vision class).

Thanks for the comments coffeebean - it's good to hear a balanced comparison.

You're welcome, Big_M. I'm the first to defend Epic as I truly love NCL's Freestyle dining and Epic's restaurants did not disappoint. Actually, I prefer Epics restaurants, as a whole, to the restaurants on Oasis.

One example where NCL may outshine RCCL...I've been reading not so good reviews of the Brazilian restaurant on Allure but my experience in Epic's Brazilian restaurant was superb. The food quality was excellent, not to mention the attentive service and the amazing sides, appetizers, salad bar and deserts. The restaurant was very busy, yet we never had to wait for the servers to bring around the meats as there were several servers making the rounds. From what I've been reading, Rita's Cantina on Allure needs to iron out some kinks and the meats are not getting good reviews either. I have no doubt RCCL will work on that. If NCL can do it...so can RCCL.

Did I hijack this thread??? Oops...sorry about that. Back to Kevin Sheehan... I have the show Tivo'd but I'm waiting to watch it when my husband can watch it with me. I'm looking forward to it.

Yeah, I watched it.

I can't imagine for 2 seconds Adam Goldstein undercover on any RCCL ship without being recognized no matter how good the hair dye is.

I chuckled at Sheehan's comment "Several of the industry's firsts" when referring to Epic's Ice Rink and Repel Wall.

I found it odd that Michael, from the cruise directors staff, someone that by nature remembers people from earlier cruises, didn't even recognize the CEO of NCL.

Carol

Nothing odd if he hadn't met him prior. Kinda reaching.

I can't remember the entire conversation that the CEO was having with the Sports Deck woman but she made one comment that "This is why people don't want to come back to the Epic". I am not sure if she was referring to crew or passengers. Does anyone else recall that comment and what the gist of the conversation was?

Great, unbiased comparisons between the 2 ships, coffeebean! My husband and I are very satisfied Platinum Royal Caribbean cruisers and had been hesitant to explore any of the competitor's ships. We did go on a Caribbean Princess cruise, and although the service and shows couldn't compare to what we've experienced on RCCL, it was a nice experience- different; and we DID have fun! We are thinking of trying NCL this spring out of New York to eliminate having to fly to Florida and having to pay for a hotel. I also saw the Undercover Boss show last night- so I won't plan on doing any ice skating if I do cruise on NCL!!!

I can't remember the entire conversation that the CEO was having with the Sports Deck woman but she made one comment that "This is why people don't want to come back to the Epic". I am not sure if she was referring to crew or passengers. Does anyone else recall that comment and what the gist of the conversation was?

I took it to mean the crew. She said it when they were about to set up that ridiculous ice rink.

Did any of you notice the room he was staying in? I don't believe that was an average crew room, as was stated. It had a king bed and plenty of room to move around in. I really wished it was an average crew room.

Agreed! Average crew room? I don't think so!

Archived