Customer service is making me nervous

Whew! I'm glad this worked out for you! I can validate that I've had experiences where you do get different answers from different people at RCI, and conflicting ones at that. This can be very frustrating, but I'm glad that you got that make a difference employee who helped you sort this all out.

Now that it's sorted out - I'd be out for blood with that TA. Well, maybe not blood, but you know what I mean!

Yes, I bought a non-refundable ticket and I understand what RCCI is telling me regarding changing the name and having to pay for a new ticket. I guess what i don't understand is that if delta/tsa says that he can get on the plane with the incorrect name, then why can't he get on the ship with the incorrect name? Luckily, I spoke with someone from RCCI right after I wrote this that is checking into "flagging" the ticket for port security just like I did with delta. and would always just drive to the port QUOTE]

Your husband cn not get on the plane unless the name has been changed in advace. The name on the ticket must match his government issued photo ID such as drivers license, military ID etc.

Hope you get it all sorted out, but do not go to the airport without having the name changed on the airline ticket.

Yes, I asked for this specifically after she gave me the news. She sent me an email right away.

You know her email won't mean jack to Immigration and Customs...right?

As for what Delta did...they changed his name on the ticket. They do it all the time. I promise when he gets his boarding pass, it will have his correct name on it. Otherwise TSA will NOT let him through security. But that doesn't help you with the cruise. And that email is not going to get you onboard the ship. Sorry, this isn't over yet.

You know her email won't mean jack to Immigration and Customs...right?

As for what Delta did...they changed his name on the ticket. They do it all the time. I promise when he gets his boarding pass, it will have his correct name on it. Otherwise TSA will NOT let him through security. But that doesn't help you with the cruise. And that email is not going to get you onboard the ship. Sorry, this isn't over yet.

You are incorrect. Delta did not change his name on the ticket. I spoke with three people from TSA (one of them being a supervisor) and they said otherwise regarding letting him through security with a ticket that does not match his passport ID. I have written confirmation of that. Again, written confirmation from San Juan port authority said otherwise as well regarding letting him on the ship. I appreciate you wanting me to be prepared, but may I ask how you know more about conversations I've had than I do?

You are incorrect. Delta did not change his name on the ticket. I spoke with three people from TSA (one of them being a supervisor) and they said otherwise regarding letting him through security with a ticket that does not match his passport ID. I have written confirmation of that. Again, written confirmation from San Juan port authority said otherwise as well regarding letting him on the ship. I appreciate you wanting me to be prepared, but may I ask how you know more about conversations I've had than I do?

If the name on boarding pass does not match his ID .. GOOD LUCK .. have over 2 million frequent flyer miles and have seen many not make it through security. I don't care who promised you it was ok .. or is there to vouch for you .. you better make sure those names match. There is an exception for just married females if they have their marriage certificate.

have you considered a finacial hammer? Go to your credit card company, if you paid with one and dispute the charges now becuase of the TA's error. It is a round about way to do it but sometimes money talks louder than anything else. Hope it all works out for you. We are on the same trip

Just to clarify, RCI is not charging you the "fees." You bought nonrefundable air and because the air is associated with the cruise ticket, if you change the name, the air is cancelled (or a fee is charged, airline policy) and fees are assessed by the airline. RCI wont get to keep any of that money.

In fact, expect some changes to ChoiceAir because RCI is losing money on this program.

Lesson from this: NEVER book the cruise and air at the same time. Always get written confirmation of the names before purchasing any air. That is just common sense when booking nonrefundable air.

Airline can do exchange with 24h at no charge if they want too from tkt issue. Sounds like there must be more to this story.

I am very skeptical that this is going to work out for you as well. It is going to be up to the actual TSA agent working the security line and the actual rep at the Delta counter that checks you in to decide if you will board or not. Showing either of them an "email" that could be generated by anyone is not going to make them bend the rules for you.

The same for the actual employee checking you in for the ship. I doubt that they would accept any letter that could be easily forged.

Just don't want you to be disappointed once you get to the airport and find that you can't even get on the plane. I would never risk it. I would make sure the names were correct on both reservations. I don't think you have a shot that this plan will work.

I hate to be a Monday morning quarterback, but after the first day of not getting things completely straightened out, you should have cancelled everything completely. Then contacted your credit card company and told them to not pay. The most it would have cost you is $50 each cancellation fee for the airline tickets. Of the three agencies you have to deal with, Delta should be the easiest to get things straightened out. They are in the process of trying to win a JD Power award, and are doing whatever they can to make people happy.

Now back to your original question

I too have serious doubts about RCCLs Customer Service department. I have some RCCL certificates that I got through a points card other than the RCCL Bank of America card. We (my wife and I) were part of a large group booking, but had to re-book directly through RCCL to use the certificates. I could not get any two people at RCCL that could give me the same answer as to how the certificates get applied, or how to efficiently make the switch. After many phone calls, we finally got it done.

The next challenge was trying to link our minor daughter, who is still part of the group booking, to our account so we could start the required online pre-booking process. Once again, nothing but short "can't help you" and "it can't be done online" answers. It was like all they wanted to do was get me off the phone as quickly as possible. Finally I read word for word from the RCCL website saying it could be done, then the agent looked at the two reservations and immediately told me step by step what to do. It was like I was forcing her to do her job! I swear the only time I have received worse service is when dealing with a Government employee.

If not for the fact this is a family reunion cruise, I would have cancelled the trip and booked with another cruise line.

One thing I did find out. The people who answer the phones at RCCL are in house travel agents, and get paid commission the same as any other travel agent. Even if you call the number for servicing an existing reservation. Talk about a recipe for failure!

I hate to say this but I agree with others who say he may not get past security with different names on his ID/passport and boarding pass. All ID and boarding passes are throughly examined by TSA before you can even line up to go through the security check points.

He may not even get a boarding pass because you have to show your ID/passport at check in if you are traveling out of the country and the names must match.

I know what TSA told you, but in my experience of many domestic and international flights, it really doesn't work that way. Security may not take as proof an e-mail that could have been written or faked by anyone.

I do however hope that you do get off on your trip ok.

One thing I did find out. The people who answer the phones at RCCL are in house travel agents, and get paid commission the same as any other travel agent. Even if you call the number for servicing an existing reservation. Talk about a recipe for failure!

Just a clarification: less than 20% of RCCL employees are "in house travel agents" and they make darn little compared to what independent travel agents make. In fact, the vast majority of RCCL employees make no commission on anything they do.

Archived