Sandfleas, gnats and mosquito's....OH MY

i2ukus

I am sailing on the Legend in a couple weeks and was wondering if these bugs are a problem at all. #1 I have heard in the shade on the beaches they are horrible, is it the same in the sun? and has anyone had experience with this? #2 I heard gnats are a problem on balconys....anyone have any feed back on this? and lastly do you know of a good bug spray that works that is natural and doesn't have all the horrible chmeicals in it (As I have a 18 month old who will be traveling with us) TIA!!

To address your last question, Avon's Skin-So-Soft works as a good insect repellent. Also, I've had occassional success with fabric softener dryer sheets.

I think Off makes a clip-on repellent, but from the reviews, the range isn't that great.

Otherwise, you can get the "traditional" repellents in cloth wipe form so you can control exactly where the repellent is applied.

I have never heard of sandfleas being an issue either until I started reading on here (nor had I experienced them on my previous cruises)....someone said at Mahogony Bay in Roatan they were bad in the shade...hmmmm

At the Marriott on the beach at San Juan we found a card in our room advising hotel guests to use insect repellent at the beach, especially at dawn and dusk. They even provided free insect repellent at the front desk upon request.

The only stop we have ever experienced sand fleas on was St. Thomas. It was a cloudy day - can't remember where we were. Our driver dropped us off at a resort on Megan's Bay. Drove me nuts!

I have never been bothered in either cabin, on deck, or on our balcony.

I am not sure this is the appropriate forum to ask this question, but here goes: On Dominica we are going to take the Indian River Rowboat excursion. I was wondering if anyone has taken this excursion and can advise whether or not you need bug repellent? I have found a few videos of this excursion on You Tube and no one seems to be swatting or slapping at any bugs.

By the way, I have found that Avon's Skin So Soft is an excellent repellent and would not be harmful to a child.

Several people in my family had sand flea problems in Roatan. It was wierd because we were all at the same beach, and some were getting bitten like crazy, while others had no bites on us at all.

That is so funny cuz when we were in Roaton on the beach the only person getting bit was our daughter. She had bites all over her legs & thighs but she never felt them bite. She discovered the bites after we went back to the ship and showered. :eek:

In Roatan there were black bugs everywhere in the shade but not in the sun.

In Belize we were eaten alive by Noseeums. We kept calling them the Belize Jungle Bugs lol. When they bite it burns like a match is being put to your skin. 5 days later I am still scratching and finding bites. They were awful. I am just covered as well as my husband, brother and sister-in-law. I personally find them worse than mosquitos. Now on another note we were on a jungle excursion so it may not be an issue at the port.

I think the sand flea thing is seasonal - remember hearing about sand fleas in cozume (nachi) during a fall cruise - we were there in January and not a bug in sight!

Now when in the jungle of Belize visiting Lamanai you can bet we used insect repellent (and in spite of that the mosquitoes had a feast!) - so I think it depends on when and where!

Same on the ship I have never ever seen a bug or gnat on a ship!

The only time bugs were a problem on the balcony was during the Panamal Canal transit....keep your balcony door closed! We've never had a problem in any other Caribbean port, and especially while at sea....the wind tends to keep anything from lingering!

I am looking into the skin so soft and wanted to know if it is the normal oil spray or the actually skin so soft repellent??

it has been a while since I have used the product but it is good and I will be getting some, thanks for the reminder. From my recollection it is a body lotion, not actually originally intended to be a bug repellent but it works!

I am looking into the skin so soft and wanted to know if it is the normal oil spray or the actualy skin so soft repellent??

Anytime we have used the skin-so-soft it has been in a kinda cloudy color bottle with green letters on it.....could have been changed though.......but I do remember it was the oil...almost like baby oil.

Sand fleas are also known as sand flies and noseeums. They are voracious when they find someone tasty and are not typically kept down by the sun so much as the wind. Two places (in addition to when I lived in Panama as a child) I have experienced them were The Bahamas...Blackbeard's Beach Break with Stingray Swim (obviously not while in the water, but upon egress) and Utila, Honduras (a neighboring island to Roatan), while staying at a resort...but only on calm days. Some people are largely unaffected, others are feasted upon mercilessly. I don't know what causes the feasting...if I did, I would put corrective actions into place, as I am tired of being lunch for these creatures.

The folks on Utila highly recommended baby oil...because effectively the bugs are drown in the oil when they land on you. I suppose Skin-So-Soft works on a similar principle; however, I can't stand the smell of the stuff, so I stick to DEET-based repellants, typically Deep Woods OFF wipes.

That being said, I've never had any problem with gnats or mosquitoes on or off the cruise ship, and typically, if someone is going to be bitten by mosquitoes, it is me! :D

Happy Cruising!

have been on the Legend 3 times and have never had a problem with any insects nor have I heard of anyone on the ship mentioning them.

At Mahogany Bay in Roatan the sand fleas were horrendous....we came back to the ship with numerous bites. Never had that problem anywhere else we'd gone to

Skin so soft oil seems to work for many...I don't really know as I am one of those people that have no problem with them

I did have a mosquito land on the table last time I was on the Legend so be careful as it may mean that the boat was over run by them...LOL

Archived