Looking For Child Friendly Cruiseline. Need Suggestions!

The Canuks

My wife and I have cruised prior to having children. We tried a number of different lines, so that we can experience as much as possible. We have sailed on Princess twice, RCL once, and our last cruise was with NCL. Our personal preference has been with Princess.

Now that we are planning on cruising again, with 2DDs, one is 3, and the other 1, (they will be 4 and 2 by the time we cruise), I am looking for some advice from those who have cruised with young children to get an idea as to which line they found to be not only kid friendly, but allows parents to relax.

We are as well considering to bring my inlaws for backup, and would like a ship that has adjoining rooms. I know many have mentioned that the balconys are usually adjoining, however I dont feel comfortable allowing my young ones to pass through rooms in the night via this method. I am looking for actually adjoining rooms.

All help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

The Canuks

I enjoy Carnival. They have very good children's programs, though I don't know if they start at 2 or 3.

There are many adjoining rooms available.

They have a children's menu in the dining room, with Mac & cheese, and chicken fingers, among other things.

Celebrity and RCCL seem to have quite a few connecting rooms. BTW, make sure you are getting rooms that are actually connecting and not just adjoining. To a TA or CSR, adjoining means just side by side.

You could also do a Princess mini-suite for you and the kids.

I think most cruise lines' kids programs start when kids are 3 and potty trained. Celebrity and RCCL have private in-cabin babysitting available (for a fee) but Princess does not permit that.

The rooms (on RCI) that are connecting via an interior door are clearly marked on the deck plans. I would NEVER book cabins without having the deck plans right in front of me.

Any of the "mass-market" lines will be more than "kid-friendly"!

When it came to the kids being really young (2 y/o), I actually prefered the larger RCI ships. The ones with the Royal Promenade inside was really convenient for us when the toddlers were antsy. It's like being in a shopping mall. You could go to the cafe and people watch, or just roll them around in the stroller until they passed out from a days worth of activities.

Being in a centrum on a ship somewhere doesn't compare. The Royal Promenade is just... I dunno... super nice.

Although Royal Caribbean's youth program starts at 3, Oasis and Allure have nurseries accepting kids as young as 6 months (there's a 6-18 month group and an 18-36 month group). Freedom and Liberty are scheduled to get the nurseries early this year. I believe that all RCCL ships, but certainly these, also have in-cabin babysitting during the day and late night by a team of two sitters, for a fee, but availability can be pretty limited.

For us, our plan to cruise with a toddler requires an available pool for kids who are not fully potty-trained. Only Disney and RCCL ships Oasis, Allure, Freedom, Liberty, and Independence have kiddie pools and "splash zones" that expressly allow kids in swim diapers.

Thanks, everyone for the great feedback!!!

By the looks of it RCI, seems to be the favourite.

For those of you that have sailed already with small children; is there a particular itinerary that you as well felt was child friendly?

We have been to most of the islands, as we have done Western, Eastern and Southern.

I would be looking at destinations that are stroller friendly, and where we can take busses and shuttles as I am trying to avoid as much as possible taking the car seat. (Safety is first priority, so of course I can as well see myself carrying the car seats!)

Thanks

The Canuks

In terms of itinerary, I would definitely pick a cruise that has a stop at a private island - an easy beach day with no carseats to lug or excursions to plan, and many of them have a play area for the little ones. When we cruised for the first time with our two girls (then ages 5 and 11 months), we stopped at Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk (another great port for kids as there's a beach and terrific pool (at Margaritaville) right at the port, San Juan (which was easily walkable with a stroller), and St. Thomas (the one and only time we had to lug the carseat, to get to Magen's Bay for another beach day). This year, we're doing the classic eastern (St. Maarten - again, easily walkable, St. Thomas - we'll probably stay on the ship this time, and Castaway Cay - another private island).

Thanks Marie73!

I have RCI in mind now, after reading some of the comments. There is an intinerary in mind, consisting of Nassau, St. Martin, and St. Thomas.

All of these ports I have previously visited, however I am comfortable, with it enough that we can just stroll around, or hit the beach.

I am not expecting to be able to do what we have done on previous cruises, eg. snorkel, or go on 6 hour excursions. This cruise will be a trial to see how the kids like it, and to hopefully create new family memories!

The Canuks

Archived