Beware ! Cashless Toll Roads in Florida

Arnold Don

Hello Everyone,

I was listening to our local radio station this morning and the topic was tolling, they are building a new bridge Port Mann and going to toll it. A few years ago they made a new bridge golden ears and toll'd it too. The contraversy was why are people on one side of the river being tolled and not the other side going up the sea to sky highway as this cost millions of dollars to British Columbian Tax payers and someone metioned Florida's system on how fair it was. Anyway that me thinking about it and it's so fuuny that a thread came out few hours later.

We are renting a car from FLL and staying in FLL for 1 day from Avis and driving around FLL and hitting the sawgrass mall are there any tolls on that route that we need to know?

Thanks alot.

Vicky

I just want to be sure I understand this whole toll stuff. We will be driving down next week from Atlanta, stopping for the night in Orlando. When I checked on the sunpass website I determined it was cheaper to just pay the tolls roundtrip. I have no idea what route we are taking from Orlando, just following the GPS! I do know we were on the turnpike on our last trip to Orlando which is tolls.

So....what is the quickest route and how much should I expect in tolls? Thanks!

Take the Turnpike and expect to pay some tolls coming down through Orlando and getting onto 528 East, the airport barrier toll, and the toll after passing the 417. After that it should be free till you get to the port. If you totally want to avoid tolls, take I-10 East towards Jacksonville to I-95 south. It may take a little bit longer (10 minutes according to google) but it will be free.

We are renting a car from FLL and staying in FLL for 1 day from Avis and driving around FLL and hitting the sawgrass mall are there any tolls on that route that we need to know?

Thanks alot.

Vicky

------------------------------------------------------------

This is the best I can find.

http://www.flaswim.com/pdf/meets/ftlauderdalemap.pdf

http://www.floridasturnpike.com/maps/UpdatedMaps2011/Sawgrass_Expressway.pdf

http://www.quickr.org/Map_of_Books_A_Million_Sawgrass_Mills_Mall_Fort_Lauderdale_FL_33301

Ohhh I just noticed where you're from.

I know the area.

Are you coming down I-77?

Hi Seamonkey..

No we are not driving this time (too far with a couple of teenagers in the car). We are flying to MCO and have rental reserved with Thrifty, then off to Cocoa Beach for a couple of days, then down to Miami for a 4 nighter on Majesty of the Seas, Now you know why my questions...I don't think Im liking this cashless system, Thrifty wants 5.99 per day, for the little bit I would use it.

Are you from my area?

Thanks,

Bill

Edited by gwrod

• 3 weeks later...

The mini is sold and intended to be used in only one vehicle and can ONLY be registered to one. While you may be able to pull it off without destroying it, you can't register it to another car. I saw a couple of posts about taping the mini to the windshield or just holding it up as you pass the toll booth. If that works, fine. But if it doesn't trip the sensor, a photo will be taken of your license plate. The photo is compared to the registered cars and if you're in an unregistered car, you'll receive a citation in the mail.

The more expensive portable unit can be registered to any number of vehicles. If you're planning to use it in a rental, be sure to de-register (??) it or you will continue to rack up tolls.

And it can take up to three hours for your online registration to become effective in the state system and recognized by the sensors. Don't know about phone registration, but that isn't a 24/7 system.

If you're renting a car, my advice is to pay manually or pay the rental company for their transponder (required for the cashless toll roads).

I have to give credit to Gold Coast Car Rental in Fort Lauderdale. They warned me about staying off the toll roads because of the hefty charges when the toll is sent to the car rental agency. It was really difficult driving in the Miami area (to the Everglades). I did get on a toll road but was lucky enough to find a cash exit. I understand there are tolls going down to the Keys. I was able to stay on US 1 for most of the way to the Everglades. Coming from California...it was really difficult to navigate the freeways in Florida.

Renee

Thank you every one for the heads up on tolls. (it's stressful enough having to drive on the other side of the road - from Oz)

As we will have 2 different rental cars (1 before cruise, and another for 1 week after the cruise) I am best to buy the $25.00 unit, and register once I know the plates. ?

My question - where is the closest place from Orlando airport to purchase? (we will be staying in nearby hotel first night in, so I have time to register it before hitting the road to Daytona)

I agree with you. Just pay the rental company and be done with it, period. And make sure you read the fine print and really do understand what you are purchasing.

Maybe I'm too logical. If you don't want to bother with the minipass or one provided from the car rental company, deactivate it through the car rental agency and go through the toll booth and pay slightly more...like .25 more.

The mini is sold and intended to be used in only one vehicle and can ONLY be registered to one. While you may be able to pull it off without destroying it, you can't register it to another car. I saw a couple of posts about taping the mini to the windshield or just holding it up as you pass the toll booth. If that works, fine. But if it doesn't trip the sensor, a photo will be taken of your license plate. The photo is compared to the registered cars and if you're in an unregistered car, you'll receive a citation in the mail.

The more expensive portable unit can be registered to any number of vehicles. If you're planning to use it in a rental, be sure to de-register (??) it or you will continue to rack up tolls.

And it can take up to three hours for your online registration to become effective in the state system and recognized by the sensors. Don't know about phone registration, but that isn't a 24/7 system.

If you're renting a car, my advice is to pay manually or pay the rental company for their transponder (required for the cashless toll roads).

Thank you every one for the heads up on tolls. (it's stressful enough having to drive on the other side of the road - from Oz)

As we will have 2 different rental cars (1 before cruise, and another for 1 week after the cruise) I am best to buy the $25.00 unit, and register once I know the plates. ?

My question - where is the closest place from Orlando airport to purchase? (we will be staying in nearby hotel first night in, so I have time to register it before hitting the road to Daytona)

They can be purchased at Publix groceries or CVS drugstores; sure to be one near your hotel. Here is a link:

https://www.sunpass.com/sunPassRetailers

Too late to edit my previous post, I should have said "could continue" instead of "will continue" to rack up costs. This would only happen is a subsequent renter blows through the booth and a photo is snapped of a plate registered to your device.

Here is a site of the sun pass and rental cars.

However!........I suggest before leaving your home that you prepare a letter that the rental company signs that you have PAID for the transponder and that the rental company has REGISTERED the plate number with Sun pass.

http://floridasturnpike.com/all-electronictolling/ESP/PayingAToll.cfm?RentalCar

I understand that some cars may not be registered because of red tape and employees may have skiped them.

Protect yourself IF you are going on CASHLESS toll roads.

If you are going on the CASH roads you can take quarters with you and use the exact change lanes.

SisinLaw went down in Feb and got her credit card bill today with rental co charging $16 for unpaid toll. Said she went thru the Sunpass lane when leaving the airport on the way to Kissimmee. Her husband is a truck driver and drives in the States all the time. They did not go thru Sunpass lane and paid the exact cash toll at the unmanned booth and got the green light and proceeded on. When she tried to dispute the charge, lady from rental car place asked for a receipt. How are you even suppose to get a receipt from an unmanned toll booth where you just throw your change in? Makes me worried about getting my statement at the end of the month now. Time to start asking for receipts at every toll it seems now. :eek:

I'm sorry, but they don't care..they might send you a nice letter of acknowledgement but they do expect..yes, even the tourist..to know what they are renting and why, etc.

https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar

Then it's time to contact Floridas' Attorney General about the rental companies that scam tourists.

If each person fluffs it off---------- we can't stop it.

http://myfloridalegal.com/Contact.nsf/Contact

I'm sorry, but they don't care..they might send you a nice letter of acknowledgement but they do expect..yes, even the tourist..to know what they are renting and why, etc.

https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar

That's the Sun Pass.

They don't care ....BUT....If you paid the rental car for a sun pass and they then send you a bill for more.............. that should be sent to the Florida Attorney General Pam Bundi.

http://myfloridalegal.com/Contact.nsf/Contact

Everyone has to decide IF they are being taken by the rental car agency to garner more income.

That's why it's important that the renter take down the plate number, have a letter ready for the rental agency that states you PAID for a sun pass and the car plate is registered with sun pass.

Can anyone tell me if we drive from the POM to Ft Lauderdale are we going to hit any cashless tolls? I believe we take the I95 up and there are tolls but wanted to make sure they were manned booths.

There are no tolls on I-95, other than the Express Lane, which is the furthest two left lanes which are SunPass only. The lanes are easily avoided, and you should have no reason to use them outside of a major catastrophe on I-95.

Yogi

They did not go thru Sunpass lane and paid the exact cash toll at the unmanned booth and got the green light and proceeded on. :eek:

I haven't seen the change booth unmanned system in a long time. When we did have them in Miami (and I'm talking easy 15-20 years ago), you could push a button on the right side of it and it would give a receipt.

Again, I don't believe anywhere in Miami you will see that change bucket. The only place that COULD have one would be some exits off of I-95 that are clearly marked Sunpass only and maybe the Turnpike in Miramar.

There are no tolls on I-95, other than the Express Lane, which is the furthest two left lanes which are SunPass only. The lanes are easily avoided, and you should have no reason to use them outside of a major catastrophe on I-95.

Yogi

We will be headed to Jacksonville after our cruise and every mapping system seems to want us to go off I-95 and onto the Fl Turnpike until we reach Vero Beach. Is there some problem with I-95 through there that I don't see on the maps? How much faster and easier is it to take the Turnpike as the maps suggest? What are the toll totals through that section?

every mapping system seems to want us to go off I-95 and onto the Fl Turnpike until we reach Vero Beach

Its because the state of Florida paid off every mapping system to make people pay tolls. :p:p:p:)

Seriously, I make a monthly trip to St. Augustine which is just short of Jacksonville, I always use I-95. The Turnpike may save you about 15-20 minutes travel. With one caveat...trafiic during rush hour can be bad in the West Palm Beach area. If you can time your trip so you depart/arrive that area (and Ft. Lauderdale too) outside of rush hour, then use I-95 the entire way.

BTW that section of the Turnpike takes cash, so you don't have to fool with the rental car scheme or SunPass; if you choose to follow the mapping you have seen so far.

Have a fantastic trip!!

Yogi

Edited by miamiyogi
I'm a bonehead speller

Its because the state of Florida paid off every mapping system to make people pay tolls. :p:p:p:)

Seriously, I make a monthly trip to St. Augustine which is just short of Jacksonville, I always use I-95. The Turnpike may save you about 15-20 minutes travel. With one caveat...trafiic during rush hour can be bad in the West Palm Beach area. If you can time your trip so you depart/arrive that area (and Ft. Lauderdale too) outside of rush hour, then use I-95 the entire way.

BTW that section of the Turnpike takes cash, so you don't have to fool with the rental car scheme or SunPass; if you choose to follow the mapping you have seen so far.

Have a fantastic trip!!

Yogi

Yogi, I'll be driving from Tampa to Ft. lauderdale via I75 and Alligator Alley. Do you know if that is a cashless system or manned booths?

Paul

It seems as though FL has found a new source of revenue - hit the tourists hard with sneaky tolls and the rental car companies have benefited with extra charges. Thank you FL.

I drove to FLL last month on my now annual pilgrimage. Luckily I had found out about the "rip off" before leaving so I did buy a SunPass that I affixed to my car windshield. I can see the problem though with rental cars.

I rented one time from Dollar several years ago in another state because it appeared "cheaper" (it was not). I learned about all the extra charges and have never rented from them again. The few times I now have to rent, I look at the big three. Having traveled by air every week in my job the last 25 years before I retired, I have a lot of experience with car rental companies.

Thanks to all of you for the "heads up".

We will be driving a rental car around Orlando, then to Port Canaveral and back. Can anyone tell me if there is sufficient warning that a vehicle is approaching a cashless toll road before it gets past the point of no return?

We don't mind paying tolls at a booth, but would hate to be taken advantage of after the fact.

There are no cashless toll roads in that area, however there are a couple of unmanned tolls where you'd need the correct change and/or a Sunpass/EPass. They are well marked before you get off.

That said, NONE of them are anywhere that you as a tourist would need to get off between the airport and the port.

You probalby didn't know this, but TOURISM is the biggest contributor to the economy here in Florida.

There is nothing so sneaky about it at all. Most people who live here are familar with how the toll system works. The toll system is designed for the convenience of the residents, not tourists.

It boils back down to reading the fine print and fully understanding what you are doing. Same thing as reading the fine print on your cruise documents to see that they advise booking a flight home after noon and not before 10am. Nobody reads the fine print anymore.

It seems as though FL has found a new source of revenue - hit the tourists hard with sneaky tolls and the rental car companies have benefited with extra charges. Thank you FL.

I drove to FLL last month on my now annual pilgrimage. Luckily I had found out about the "rip off" before leaving so I did buy a SunPass that I affixed to my car windshield. I can see the problem though with rental cars.

I rented one time from Dollar several years ago in another state because it appeared "cheaper" (it was not). I learned about all the extra charges and have never rented from them again. The few times I now have to rent, I look at the big three. Having traveled by air every week in my job the last 25 years before I retired, I have a lot of experience with car rental companies.