Yikes! Over $3000 just to fly to the port...

momof4girls

All great suggestions! We also just started a "cruise jar". Gave each child a roll of quarters (part of their allowance). Any rudeness, swearing or if they fail to do an assigned choir, that's one quarter (even from mom and dad) into the jar. Last time we stuck to this, I am ashamed to say we saved several hundred dollars with this alone.

We also require each child to contribute toward a major vacation, not a large sum, but who values what they don't pay for? A little each allowance day into their bank account really adds up by the end of the year.

We used to make a ``chore list'' designating different weekly chores to each of the 3 kids. They received a quarter for each chore performed.

The chores weren't difficult, like making their beds, helping with the trash, finishing their homework, etc.

Each time they completed a chore they got a star on the chart and were paid by the star. Not sure if they worked hard to get the quarters or to see the stars go up beside their names on the chart.

By the time vacation came around they each had a sizeable @ of money saved and since it was their money that they earned the spent it very wisely. Not one of them every bought junk souvenirs but something they wanted to remember the vacation by or something for their friends at home.

It was fun for DH & I to watch them each budgeting their earned cash to last the entire vacation. Taught them budgeting as well as importance of things purchased.

Also taught DH & I patience as the kids thought about each of their purchases for what seemed hours at a time back then.

There are many souvenirs of past vacations that our kids have lost or thrown out over the years but each one of them still has a few of those purchases from their own hard made money that still have to this day. Our oldest is 37 and our youngest is 27.:D

Dianne

If OP posts this question on the Cruise Air board she will be told exactly the same thing that's already been said on this board. No one can help her yet with any sort of concrete suggestions about airfare for August 2012; it's not even available for purchase until around 330 days before then.

6rugrats, I'm just trying to be helpful. I think a lot of people aren't aware of the existence of the Cruise Air forum. I've found that forum to be the most helpful and knowledgeable when dealing with airfare booking and planning. Just reminding/pointing out that it's a resource.

6rugrats, I'm just trying to be helpful. I think a lot of people aren't aware of the existence of the Cruise Air forum. I've found that forum to be the most helpful and knowledgeable when dealing with airfare booking and planning. Just reminding/pointing out that it's a resource.

It is, and your suggestion is a good one. However, if one posts a question about airfare that can't even be booked yet, I guarantee that the poster is going to get an earful about waiting, or receive the exact same answer I gave; you can't predict Aug 2012 airfare bases on Aug 2011 prices.

You are correct. I did not know of that area before you mentioned it. I realize that you can't predict air prices that far in advance. However, history has pretty much shown that the flights from WA to FL are much more expensive than WA to CA, so we've already decided to change the cruise from the Caribbean to the MR. After spending a couple hours on here and other sites researching the MR, I don't really think my girls will be disappointed. They will be awed by the ship alone (being their first cruise) that I doubt they will complain that we are in the MR and not the Caribbean. :):cool:

This site is a WEALTH of knowledge and I appreciate everyone's comments and opinions. Helps me to weigh everything out beforehand!

The price seems really high from Seattle as we got a quote for less than that flying from Vancouver and it is crazy expensive compared to us only flights. ( we always drive to Seattle to save money on flights):)

I use a websit called kayak.com for getting quotes on flights. The app on iPad or iPhone actually works a bit better than the website but it is great. You put in your search and it returns all the combinations of flights and the links to the various websites offering that rate (ie expedia, airline direct, travelocity etc.). It is a great way to find cheap flights.

Seatle/Vancouver --> Miami is the same as Buffalo/Toronto ---> LA

We flew from Toronto --> LA for $750 each in the past.

We're flying late Jan 2011 from Toronto ---> LA for $300+ each

Basically, u need to keep looking for a flight deal.

Your price price doesn't seem that far off to me. We fly SEA - MIA/MCO most every year for a cruise and the Alaska Air non-stop flight is usually around $500pp. We use our Alaska mileage card to make the flights more reasonable. We buy one ticket and then use our Alaska companion fare to get the second ticket for $99. Then we get the kids seats using miles. Anyway, that's how we keep the cost of airfare under control.

You could also look at other departure port alternatives. Often cheaper to fly to Orlando than to Miami. You could then cruise out of Port Canaveral or rent a car and drive down the turnpike to Ft. Lauderdale or Miami. Also several Gulf Coast departure option that might have cheaper airfare (Galveston/Houston, New Orleans, etc.)

^Just checked the third week of August this year and found $329 round trip on Continental SEA - FLL with one stop. Seems pretty reasonable!

I did a search in August and found the same prices -- $328pp for Continental SEA - FLL.

I also found some Delta flights.

Use kayak to search for the flights and add in airports.

Air fare is always part of the equation for us, and flying five is always enough that it makes us think hard about the vacation and value.

FWIW flying these days as expensive as it is is soo cheap inflation adjusted compared to when I was little.

Plan, save and spend wisely!

I am planning a cruise for my family (four girls, myself, & dh) and it will be over $3000 for us to fly to Miami (or FLL). :( The cruise itself doesn't seem terribly expensive, but the airfare is just a killer! This is flying from Seattle to Miami (or nearby).

Anyone know of a cheaper way to get there? :rolleyes: Please don't say driving...much too far with four girls!

The other option is spending approx. $1500 to fly to LAX and change the cruise from the Caribbean to the Mexican Riviera. :(

Just another thought... if you find a cheap flight ot Orlando and the ship leave from Fort Lauderdale for example, check out the Amtrak as an inexpensive way to get from one to the other. We did a WDW vacation last year and then a cruise and it was much cheaper for 6 of us to go on the Amtrak (and taxi to hotel/cruise port) than to rent a car, and way less stressful.

When planning air transportation to our departure port we realized if we flew a day earlier we could stay in a hotel room that night and STILL save money. Sometimes you have to consider which day you are flying. Even a change of one day can saver a few hundred dollars apiece. That times 6 could be significant. Also, you know you won't miss your ship because of a flight delay.

Look at airfares out of Bellingham. That may improve the cost. My DS also wanted to swim with the dolphins and we did a MR - you can swim with dolphins in Cabo San Lucus but we went with Sea World in San Diego instead. You will not be able to please everyone. Go with intinerary/price that works for your family.

I would say that driving isn't a horrific idea, I know that it seems forever.. but if you make it like an extended vacation for the kids that's a cross country road trip, and stop different places and see things they normally wouldn't see... Grand Canyon, National Parks, etc... and stay in a hotel each night on your way there, that is going to be a heck of a lot less than $3000. Rent a nice big vehicle to do it.. you can find good deals all over the internet for that. Drop it off in Miami, and then one way flight it back to Seattle. I also think that the girls will love the Mexican Riviera just as much as they'd love the Caribbean, and that there are plenty of beaches, swimming, etc for them to do. I've done both the Caribbean and the MR, and they were both amazing and wonderful in their own respects.

Have you checked Southwest? They fly into Seattle and FLL. Also, you can check 2 bags each free. Why not check them out, and consider a cruise out of FLL rather than MIA?

Roz

Have you checked Southwest? They fly into Seattle and FLL. Also, you can check 2 bags each free. Why not check them out, and consider a cruise out of FLL rather than MIA?

Roz

OP wants to fly August 2012. She can't check even check prices for legacy carriers until ~end of Sept. 2011, let alone Southwest.

Well excuse me for making a suggestion. Why is the OP posting about this supposed problem if she doesn't want ideas? You can do a fake booking for 2011 just to check out prices.

Roz

Actually...I appreciate EVERYONE'S ideas and suggestions. I know I can't book an airplane ticket this far in advance, but if history is any clue, I won't find tickets much cheaper for next august than I can for this august (YES...it's all speculation).

However, I should probably close this thread since we've decided to do the MR if we DO end up moving, and if not, then the Caribbean (and tickets aren't too bad from the midwest to FL).

$500 each for US Domestic airfare sounds really high. If you give us some more details such as dates, airports, etc. more of us (some with lots of airfare experience!) may be able to help you find alternatives.

Depends on what week they are flying. Cost us nearly that much from Denver to Orlando. And I searched everyplace for weeks. We are flying SW which was nearly the cheapest. Our other option was Jet Blue which was a bit cheaper but took us through Boston and took about 13 hours. Airlines know that spring break weeks people want to fly- and will pay the extra. We get stuck with this nearly every year- can't wait til the youngest is finally out of high school.

Hi:

Check out the airfare to FLL (only about 20 miles N of Miami). You can easily take Carnival transportation to the Miami port from FLL just like MIA.

You might get a much more reasonable fare to FLL. I always fly to either

FLL or MIA (especially if one is significantly cheaper). Hope that helps!:D

Southwest is likely your choice not just for airfare but BAGGAGE COST

Even at one carry on and one large bag per person you add what a minimum of $50 per person and goes up from there ?

If you do look at Southwest, check all their Florida destinations, a rental van in Florida is often cheap and often no drop off charge

Someone else mentioned the Med and I would toss in any of the Europe cruises. Icelandic fly from Seattle and will get to a few of the ports plus you can stop in Iceland won't be a lot cheaper but could be some real memories rather than breaking the bank for a beach vacation?

Here's another option: Try Airtran from Seatle to New Orleans (rates as low as $300 rt-check web for discount coupons, like ebay). There are some great Caribbean Cruises out of New Orleans! Roatan is one of my favorite ports for swimming with dolphins. Galveston (flying into Houston) also has great cruises and some of the same ports as New Orleans, but I think transportation to and from the airport to the cruise ship would be cheaper in New Orleans. Good luck!

I am planning a cruise for my family (four girls, myself, & dh) and it will be over $3000 for us to fly to Miami (or FLL). :( The cruise itself doesn't seem terribly expensive, but the airfare is just a killer! This is flying from Seattle to Miami (or nearby).

Anyone know of a cheaper way to get there? :rolleyes: Please don't say driving...much too far with four girls!

The other option is spending approx. $1500 to fly to LAX and change the cruise from the Caribbean to the Mexican Riviera. :(

Southwest is most likely your friend: No baggage fees and they are always running specials~snag is they don't fly to MIA only FLL but there are shuttles to MIA

Kayak will send you mails when your desired route/fare lowers

2v0epap.jpg

Continental (and they have added a new feature which basically lets you reserve the fare for 24 hrs.)

2j345jn.jpg

Also, I don't know which affinity programs you use but if you aren't flying until '12 then you can see which works best for you. Switch over your billpay type things to 1 single affinity program. Airfarewatchdog and the like are pretty helpful in pointing you to the right program(s). Of course an affinity c.c. is great. You can also buy miles to add to those you've earned. Finally, you don't want a Dis cruise, but I highly recommend disboards (esp. their budget boards!!! The disers are not only amazingly helpful but they are savage penny pinchers~AND always thrilled (seriously, some boards get irked but not the dis) to lend a hand!!

HTH

Archived