Negative reviews...

I have to comment on this.

I have been reading reviews every day since I booked my 1st cruise 6 mos ago and I can't believe the number of reviews that I read that just nit pick on and on and on about all the little details he or she didn't like...and 99% of these negative reviewers are people who have cruised extensively!!! ( ie once or twice per year for several years). Do these people go on cruises simply to have a miserable time??? I have to say as a newbie these negative reviews aren't helpful or enjoyable to read. Makes me feel sorry for those people that

A. apparently aren't aware of how fortunate they are to be able to afford frequent cruising and

B. don't know how to enjoy their good fortune.

Just my thoughts..:confused:

I hear you! And wait until you meet one of these people in person! I have found great pleasure in dealing with these folks by listing all the great things I am experiencing on whatever cruise I'm on at the moment. A friend and I had tablemates like this one cruise and the more they nitpicked and complained the more we went on about what a wonderful day in port we had, the great activities on board, how good our room steward was, etc. The more negative they got, the more positive we got. I think we drove them crazy.

I also think that people like that drag their little dark cloud around with them and it affects how people treat them. At one breakfast in the MDR this woman went on and on about her waiter at dinner and how awful he was and it turns out she had the same waiter we did (we were on early seating, she was on late). We thought he was fantastic, very upbeat and entertaining AND efficient. Just goes to show you.....

Try to not let the bad reveiws, or at least the ones with a lot of nitpicking, get to you. You will make your own good time.

I agree, the complainers can make you NUTTY....especially if you a seated with them at dinner every night.

I would like to give another side to the story....the difference in our case is we kept our feelings to ourselves and closest travel friends.

My husband and I met 6 1/2 years ago standing in line at Big Thunder Mountain Railroad at Walt Disney World. (side note.....It was Gay Day weekend - he was wearing red and I thought he was GAY!! For weeks I couldn't understand why this gay guy was calling me each night. Fast forward....not at all Gay and we were married on the Radiance in Juneau 3 years ago).

We are admitted Disney nuts - my husband is a 33 year castmember so it is actually a very affordable holiday for us with all his free tickets and other discounts. We have always traveled at least the first week after Thanksgiving, this year was no different.

Wait - there was a difference. The last 3 or 4 years Disney has gone through extensive cost-cutting....staffing, outsourcing, maintenance parks, etc. It's especially tough to watch when you see it from the "inside" as my husband does.

This year......for our Christmas trip.....the magic was just gone. Too many things had been taken away......everything was way overpriced and dumbed down.

We only spoke of it with our Disney travel buddies unlike some who cannot STOP talking about it. Once home we booked the Explorer for December 11, 2011 instead of Disney.

We love the magic of our Disney trips but right now......the magic has been slowly chipped away.

Perhaps this is how the long-time-cruisers feel. We are actually broken hearted and to list what has changed....well one at a time they seem trivial. However, when the entire "package" is considered, the value is gone.

Sorry to ramble....bad habit of mine.

I agree, the complainers can make you NUTTY....especially if you a seated with them at dinner every night.

I would like to give another side to the story....the difference in our case is we kept our feelings to ourselves and closest travel friends.

My husband and I met 6 1/2 years ago standing in line at Big Thunder Mountain Railroad at Walt Disney World. (side note.....It was Gay Day weekend - he was wearing red and I thought he was GAY!! For weeks I couldn't understand why this gay guy was calling me each night. Fast forward....not at all Gay and we were married on the Radiance in Juneau 3 years ago).

We are admitted Disney nuts - my husband is a 33 year castmember so it is actually a very affordable holiday for us with all his free tickets and other discounts. We have always traveled at least the first week after Thanksgiving, this year was no different.

Wait - there was a difference. The last 3 or 4 years Disney has gone through extensive cost-cutting....staffing, outsourcing, maintenance parks, etc. It's especially tough to watch when you see it from the "inside" as my husband does.

This year......for our Christmas trip.....the magic was just gone. Too many things had been taken away......everything was way overpriced and dumbed down.

We only spoke of it with our Disney travel buddies unlike some who cannot STOP talking about it. Once home we booked the Explorer for December 11, 2011 instead of Disney.

We love the magic of our Disney trips but right now......the magic has been slowly chipped away.

Perhaps this is how the long-time-cruisers feel. We are actually broken hearted and to list what has changed....well one at a time they seem trivial. However, when the entire "package" is considered, the value is gone.

Thanks for sharing! I'm going on the Explorer in March 2011 and will definitely be writing a review..

Interesting topic.

Here is how I see it..... you have basically 3 types of posters here:

1) The ones that gripe about every little detail and "drag a dark cloud with them". Take what they say with a grain of salt.

2) The ones that no matter what happens, they think their cruise line cant do wrong. They go around wearing rose colored glasses. Another group to take lightly.

3) Then there are those who critique the cruise and post reviews sharing the good, the bad and sometimes the ugly. This is Cruise CRITIC.

4) Then there are those who have no clue what is going on....

I did say 4 groups, right?

Had I posted a review about my last cruise, I probably would of talked about the rust on the balcony, blood on the toilet seat and the dirt on the floor that never made its way to the head of a vacume during the 7 day voyage. Did I have a great time? YES the best. Did I want to get off and get back to life? No way. Was the food good? With out a doubt. Did the negative things ruin my trip? No....but it would of been worth reporting on as I see these things as an easy fix and something worth commenting on....just like it would be worth commenting on the friendly staff we ran into./...

Nough said.,

Every large organization had to put in cost cutting measures over the past few years. Disney is just one of many. It costs us more to go than you because we don't have an internal connection but we still keep going back anyway. We'll be there at the peak time on the 4th of July weekend but still love it there.

Regarding negative reviews, we have done 82 cruises and sailed on most cruise lines. Suffice it to say that we like Royal Caribbean and Celebrity the best. They give us great benefits for coming back a number of times every year. You need to look past the negativity and make up your own mind. Enjoy your cruise.

Regarding negative reviews, we have done 82 cruises and sailed on most cruise lines. Suffice it to say that we like Royal Caribbean and Celebrity the best. They give us great benefits for coming back a number of times every year. You need to look past the negativity and make up your own mind. Enjoy your cruise.

Just to clarify...I totally expect to enjoy my cruise. And believe me I know that every vacation entails some drawbacks and disappointments. I enjoy reading the reviews that point out both what was liked and what was disappointing. My point was though that I don't know why you'd keep cruising if so many things about it fail to meet your standards. Whatever, thought this might make for an interesting thread if nothing else.

I have been reading reviews every day since I booked my 1st cruise 6 mos ago and I can't believe the number of reviews that I read that just nit pick on and on and on about all the little details he or she didn't like...and 99% of these negative reviewers are people who have cruised extensively!!! ( ie once or twice per year for several years). Do these people go on cruises simply to have a miserable time??? I have to say as a newbie these negative reviews aren't helpful or enjoyable to read. Makes me feel sorry for those people that

A. apparently aren't aware of how fortunate they are to be able to afford frequent cruising and

Besides cruising I do many land based vacations also. I spend time reading many reviews and forums just like this. If I believed all the bad I'd never leave the house.

Never met a vacation I didn't like!!!:D

My DD who has cruised a few times now used to get her nose a little out of joint when I would be with a CC friend and we'd say something like we'd like the prime rib on the _________ of the Seas better than the prime rib on our current ________ of the Seas. Then, on a cruise together, she pops up with "I don't think the food in the Windjammer is as good as it was on the ..... " She stops and laughs and realizes she's doing it too. Sometimes, I think the more you've cruised, the more you instinctively compare.

P.S. I feel very fortunate that I've been able to take several cruises in the past couple of years.

"IMPORTANT: The preceding post is intended for the use of the individual members associated with cruise critic and may contain information that is confidential, privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this post is not authorized (either explicitly or implicitly). No animals were harmed in the transmission of this post, although the Yorkshire terrier next door is living on borrowed time. "

knotIn1, since you are responsible for the mess all over my computer screen, would you please come clean it? :)

Ay yi yiii....what's with the nitpicking?

Makes me feel sorry for those people that

A. apparently aren't aware of how fortunate they are to be able to afford frequent Disney vacations and

Just my thoughts..:confused: :p

I do belive that no cruise is perfect.

I keep that in mind while reading the posts. I appreciate reading reviews that bring out valid points, and use those to plan which lines to cruise with, and those I feel I should stay away from.

A complaint like 'no hot water and the CD or HM didn't do anything about it', is, in my opinion a very valid issue!!!!

A complaint of rudeness by a waiter on the other hand, carries alot of subjectivity.

If all that was on here were beaming positive reviews, I wouldn't be as interested in reading the reveiws.

Just my opinion.

:rolleyes:

I agree with Pacaduli. However, let me add another problem I see with CC. Suppose I don't like one particular aspect of a cruise, say a major change in the menu offered, and as OP I want to start a thread about this: "I think the change in the menu on the XX is an awful idea, and let me tell you why." I think we all know what will happen. The self-appointed CC police will all complain loudly that OP did not point out what he liked about the cruise.

I just don't get that. Not every thread is a review. Why do some CCers demand that negative comments have to be balanced with positive comments? Any topic should be permissible for discussion, including a list of negative comments. Unless OP claims to be presenting a review of the entire cruise, he/she should not have to concern himself with facts not the subject of his focus. IMO.

Bill

One thing you always have to remember is that the crew is literally from all over the world and they don't always have the same cultural background we do. Many times, theirs is far more varied than ours!

Always keep that in mind, what might be rude to some may simply be a cultural difference coming out that the server may not even be conscious of.

Perfect example would be a middle-eastern server giving preference to the men at a table and not looking to the ladies until after. In our culture, that's rude, in theirs, it is rude to do otherwise. (Please note that this is just an example and not a broad brush. I have seen this happen first hand.)

On our last cruise, which was great, we heard a story of a couple on our cruise that thought it was horrible. They had no fun. Would never cruise again. On being questioned, this couple revealed they had not gone to any shows, had avoided the MDR, had not taken any excursions, had not gone to any lectures, had not taken part in any games (like trivia etc). I just do not understand!

Interesting topic.

Here is how I see it..... you have basically 3 types of posters here:

1) The ones that gripe about every little detail and "drag a dark cloud with them". Take what they say with a grain of salt.

2) The ones that no matter what happens, they think their cruise line cant do wrong. They go around wearing rose colored glasses. Another group to take lightly.

3) Then there are those who critique the cruise and post reviews sharing the good, the bad and sometimes the ugly. This is Cruise CRITIC.

4) Then there are those who have no clue what is going on....

I did say 4 groups, right?

Had I posted a review about my last cruise, I probably would of talked about the rust on the balcony, blood on the toilet seat and the dirt on the floor that never made its way to the head of a vacume during the 7 day voyage. Did I have a great time? YES the best. Did I want to get off and get back to life? No way. Was the food good? With out a doubt. Did the negative things ruin my trip? No....but it would of been worth reporting on as I see these things as an easy fix and something worth commenting on....just like it would be worth commenting on the friendly staff we ran into./...

Nough said.,

You are a HOOT and a half!!! I LOVED your 'tagline' disclaimer. For those that missed it, go back and read it. Oh, and tell that little Yorkie nieghbor of yours hi from me. :D

Erika

I enjoy any review, I always appreciate it when people qualify their experiences so we know their perspective. When you read those reviews, read the author's tone as well. Sometimes a bad cruise happens. Sometime people do nitpick and you can catch that in the things they complain about. Even those reviews I learn something about a ship I've never been on or a port I haven't visited.

Not all all, thanks for posting that. I haven't been to Disney since 2000 and we were considering skipping a cruise one year and revisiting Disney as an empty next couple. It would be our first trip there as a couple since 1983. (Our daughter was born 9 months later TMI !!!) I would be greatly disappointed if the magic was gone. We will probably go anyway and run the Marathon there.

One thing you always have to remember is that the crew is literally from all over the world and they don't always have the same cultural background we do. Many times, theirs is far more varied than ours!

Always keep that in mind, what might be rude to some may simply be a cultural difference coming out that the server may not even be conscious of.

Perfect example would be a middle-eastern server giving preference to the men at a table and not looking to the ladies until after. In our culture, that's rude, in theirs, it is rude to do otherwise. (Please note that this is just an example and not a broad brush. I have seen this happen first hand.)

I seriously doubt you would ever see that on an RCI cruise, I believe the servers are trained exactly how they do every move.

You do realize this is cruise critic...a site to express the good and bad of a cruising? People who cruise often usually see things a different way than a new cruiser who spends most of their time walking around the ship with their eyes wide and mouth open. Therefore they tend to report things in a different light. Interesting you create a post complaining about people who you think complain........

Honestly, negative reviews do not bother me at all. What bothers me much more is that these boards are a wealth of information. So many people take the time to carefully answer people's questions and yet the same questions get asked over and over again. The problem is that it is discouraging to those taking the time to answer and eventually those people will stop answering. Then the boards die. Please, please, please search for your answers before asking your question.

P.S. I love you all!

"IMPORTANT: The preceding post is intended for the use of the individual members associated with cruise critic and may contain information that is confidential, privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this post is not authorized (either explicitly or implicitly). No animals were harmed in the transmission of this post, although the Yorkshire terrier next door is living on borrowed time. "

knotIn1, since you are responsible for the mess all over my computer screen, would you please come clean it? :)

Laughter is the best medicine

Archived