Dinner Dress on Alaska Cruises

wbmom401

This will be our first cruise to Alaska and I am just wondering if there is any changes in the "dress code" for Dining room dinners? It seems that you are very busy most of the days and also in port for longer periods of time, and just trying to start thinking about what I will have to take. Don't want take too many suitcases with all the charges, but we will be gone for 2 weeks between the week sailing and the week land tour. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

This will be our first cruise to Alaska and I am just wondering if there is any changes in the "dress code" for Dining room dinners? It seems that you are very busy most of the days and also in port for longer periods of time, and just trying to start thinking about what I will have to take. Don't want take too many suitcases with all the charges, but we will be gone for 2 weeks between the week sailing and the week land tour. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

The dress code depends a lot on which cruise line you're using. Some are more casual than others. But generally the dress code is at least "resort casual" -- so folks do dress up at least a bit for dinner, usually.

From my research on CC and experience last summer, it would seem that Alaska cruises, while still on the standard dress code, do dress down a touch. Still resort casual for most dinners, but formal nights had very few in formal attire, and few even in suits. For men, sport jackets were by far and away the most common on formal nights. Alaska is pretty informal. We went to the best places in Fairbanks, and Alaskans don't waste time getting all dressed up. We could have worn jeans and shirts to dinner at the good restaurants. Food was still good though!

I took the Coral princess and it seemed that people were not as dressed. We opted to do the buffet on the formal nights so that we didn't have to take those clothes with us. You have to pack alot more clothing for this cruise, especially if you are doing a land tour too. I love the formal nights but really didn't mind missing them.

Thanks everyone for your input. Hubby will be SOOOO sad that he can't get dressed up! NOT. It is nice that it is one less thing to worry about. Can't believe we are only 4 1/2 months away. Took so long to decide, now all the other planning begins.

Happy sailing all!

Archived