BIG cutbacks for Carnival in effect Jan 1st 2011- I hope this isn't true!

gardn198

Actually. it`s a test on only three Carnival vessels that have no steakhouse. Personally, I hope it fails. Others have staed other views.

Why should it be pulled if the myth is debunked.

However, it`s always interesting that myths always seem to come true. John Heald said Carnival would never have a charge for food in the MDR.

I think I said the same thing you did in just different words

They are not having a charge in the dining room for the normal entrees just for the extra if you want because these ships don't have a steakhouse like a lot of the other Carnival ships

I was reading something a passenger who just sailed in December wrote.. I REALLY hope this isn't true. Can anyone sailing in January on Carnival let us know if this is true??

" I just came back from a 7 day cruise on the Carnival Glory. The word from the crew was that alot of crew will be losing there jobs.

For example : room stewarts that now work two to a team will be cut to one.

Your room will only be serviced once a day. No more turn down service after dinner with a mint on your pillow. The Staffing in the buffet for cleaning tables was down to three people. Also some ships are allready testing this.

You must pay for a steak or a lobster tail in the "free" main dining room.

$14.00 is what I was told and last but not least there will be a cruise fare increase. Plus fuel is still on the rise. Cruise cheap for now."

This is nonsense, plain and simple. It keeps surfacing as folks read that review...

I asked John Heald about this and he stated that it was 'bollocks.'

The 'for fee' food in the main dining room is only on three ships as a trial basis and the intent is to offer the same quality food as in the steakhouses. The three ships that have the 'for fee' food to NOT have steakhouses. Steak and lobster are still on the menu and still free.

Go on your cruise, enjoy yourself and please report back to us that nothing has changed...

:)

actually, the way i'm reading this is the good old slippery slope. decrease the quality of the "normal" food, and then give the option of "buying" the good food.

I don't see it that way at all. The food in October was just as good as always, with even newer and better options on board (sushi bar for one). They are just offering the same steak and lobster they offer in the Steakhouses in the MDR for a charge (if the ship does not have a Steakhouse).

OP, don't worry, what you read were just rumors. They pop up all the time in various shapes in sizes. Have a great cruise!

Carnival is good at floating trial balloons and seeing how the passengers react.

For years John Heald made fun of RCCL for charging for steak in the DR and now on a limited basis Carnival is doing it.

Want to bet if this succeeds we will see this going just a little further.

The comment on the turndown service is nonsense though as the room stewards are on the ship and it costs Carnival practically nothing for this service.

My problem is that this one review keeps on going and going .. Its not just the threads on CC .. its spread to other message boards .. same review on CC that someone read and ran to other boards to post. I have a issue when a review contains wrong info that is hurting new cruisers.

http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/378792-big-changes-coming-carnival-jan-1st.html

As I said this ONE review isn't just sprouting similar threads on CC .. its gone to other boards where people are telling each other about the cut backs that supposedly already started.. it hurts CC to have these things in print, because some people don't know they aren't true. There were still people posting a couple of days ago, "hoping people come back from their cruises and tell us for sure" .. all from CC.

I think it hurts CC.

You take the same position on every topic, that you don't start. When Carnival was telling people to they had to leave their luggage unlocked (it lasted a few weeks) and people were talking about it here, you were the same way, "it is not true" "quit spreading rumors" Bla Bla Bla, I think John even talked about it on his blog, but then it was found to be true, and Carnival changed their mind and fixed the wording to "recommend"

I believe there are changes coming, and Carnival wants to cut back things, and is using CC to test the opinion poll to decide what to do.

So get off your High Horse and let people talk, rummorize, and vent, that is what a Blog like this is for.

I just think the hosts should pull this review since it has incorrect info .. free speech and all that, but its upsetting people. Why do you feel this way, does it hurt your business when people talk like this?

I didn't think people in the travel business were allowed to post on CC.

Strange, and a Carnival Cheerleader also, HMMM

For what it's worth, Fire is all over the boards, not just on carnival. I see fire on RCCI, NCL, all over the place. I wouldn't say cheerleader.

This is nonsense, plain and simple. It keeps surfacing as folks read that review...

I asked John Heald about this and he stated that it was 'bollocks.'

The 'for fee' food in the main dining room is only on three ships as a trial basis and the intent is to offer the same quality food as in the steakhouses. The three ships that have the 'for fee' food to NOT have steakhouses. Steak and lobster are still on the menu and still free.

Go on your cruise, enjoy yourself and please report back to us that nothing has changed...

:)

Mach, I agree with everyone you are a great source for information from Carnival, but what if...

John is not allowed to tell about the changes, he does work for Carnival, so if they tell the staff about this change, but say "don't tell anyone yet about it" what is he going to do, tell you? or Lie about it and say it is not going to happen, then when it does, he will just have to be surprised. He did the same thing about the locking luggage topic a few months ago. Yes they did reword that topic to make things better, but he was wrong in general.

Keep up the good word, but don't expect us to believe just because "John" said it is not so.

moi?? A Carnival cheerleader?? Thats so funny, as most accuse me of being a RCL cheerleader, my preference. I just have been cruising a lot lately, but plan on cutting back without someone to book with. I have 3 more on Carnival, that Im just going solo on, the other person a no show, then Im probably switching to other lines, no plans on Carnival after that.

You can start the cheering whenever. Im still laughing at someone saying Im a carnival cheerleader. Heck I was even one of the folks RCL picked for that program that went viral all over the boards and we were accused of being paid for our opinion on RCL (wasnt true, but didnt stop the rumors). So, I know from experience how a bad rumor can take on a life of its own on CC .. is why I think the review should be pulled if its starting bad rumors.

I will probably choose to fly to Florida (instead of out of Galveston where all the rates are 200%). .. and hence cruise a lot less. Fewer cruises, I wouldnt be on the boards so much. .. I know... Im hearing more cheering from these boards. You'all are almost done with me in the next 6 months for a while. I booked some ES bookings Im stuck with, still going, just solo.

I think one review that keeps upsetting people, one source, is not credible.

PS no Im not in the travel "business". Lets also stop that rumor in its tracks before someone starts believing it.

If it does happen... the loss of service doesn't affect me because I don't like to have my cabin cleaned twice per day. I like to clean my own cabin and don't like cabin stewards touching my things as they clean.

The Buffet area - I don't mind cleaning my table after I finish eating. I like to take my dirty dishes to their stations. They just need to install some more trash cans. I am very self sufficent and don't need all that service.

I don't like steak or lobster so I don't care if there is a charge for that.

I am only planning two more cruises with Carnival and then I don't plan to book with them anymore. I have some cruise credits that I need to use.

I am just bored with Carnival. Since they doubled the price for single me.... I can start cruising on other ships.

I am prepared to pay the extra fee for fuel because that is a given when it happens. I guess less people will be cruising on Carnival.

What type of vacation are you on?

---- Don't like stewards touching your things to clean / like to clean?

---- Like cleaning your own table?

---- Don't like Steak and Lobster?

As to the first two, do you want to get married? :rolleyes:

Seriously, a lot of the other cruise lines treat singles the same as CCL. I understand your complaints but if anyone takes service away from me, regardless of what it may be, it's hasta la vista for me.

On my last CCL cruise on the liberty, I was generally disappointed in the ship and will also be one of those going back (at least checking out) other lines. The cruise was fine, it just could have been better in my eyes.

As a first time cruiser I am excited to go on a ship with no steakhouse and have the option to purchase a better lobster. My husband has talked about ordering said lobster but hasn't so he will love the opportunity to try it on board.

I think that it is a fine idea and have no qualms with it at all. JMHO.

moi?? A Carnival cheerleader?? Thats so funny, as most accuse me of being a RCL cheerleader, my preference. I just have been cruising a lot lately, but plan on cutting back without someone to book with. I have 3 more on Carnival, that Im just going solo on, the other person a no show, then Im probably switching to other lines, no plans on Carnival after that.

You can start the cheering whenever. Im still laughing at someone saying Im a carnival cheerleader. Heck I was even one of the folks RCL picked for that program that went viral all over the boards and we were accused of being paid for our opinion on RCL (wasnt true, but didnt stop the rumors). So, I know from experience how a bad rumor can take on a life of its own on CC .. is why I think the review should be pulled if its starting bad rumors.

I will probably choose to fly to Florida (instead of out of Galveston where all the rates are 200%). .. and hence cruise a lot less. Fewer cruises, I wouldnt be on the boards so much. .. I know... Im hearing more cheering from these boards. You'all are almost done with me in the next 6 months for a while. I booked some ES bookings Im stuck with, still going, just solo.

I think one review that keeps upsetting people, one source, is not credible.

PS no Im not in the travel "business". Lets also stop that rumor in its tracks before someone starts believing it.

Well I guess that if you where in the travel business, that would be why you seam to be a cheerleader for the cruise lines, (all or most of them) because you need them.

I have NO problem seeing someone ask a question or post information that has been posted more than once. NOT everyone that comes here reads every single post every single day. Seems we have a few that do and ALWAYS want to jump on someone for asking something that they can remember was asked 3 months ago. Seems to me the thing to do is just pass right by it instead of jumping on the one that posted it & actually trying to learn something or pass along new information. Pretty petty seems to me.

Doug

fire is not a ta and has 44000 posts in 4 years?

give that girl a prize!

Yes I guess when you post on EVERY thread and you post both ways you can really boost that count really quick.

We did not see any cut backs in April on the Dream.

As a first time cruiser I am excited to go on a ship with no steakhouse and have the option to purchase a better lobster. My husband has talked about ordering said lobster but hasn't so he will love the opportunity to try it on board.

I think that it is a fine idea and have no qualms with it at all. JMHO.

My only problem is with the "you can pay for a better lobster/steak" if this is the "Better" what is the other, "WORSE" food, why are they serving not better food?

I can see it in the future, do you want to pay extra for Better sheets and towels in your cabin, or are the worse towels ok?

Do you want to pay for the better life jacket, or is the worse life ring ok?

Do you want to pay extra for the better room with a bathroom, or is the worse community bath down the hall ok?

If they start, were will it end?

I know I have exagerated allot, but it all must start someplace.

Waldo, I see your point...and yes you have exaggerated a lot.

I just seems like with the economy the way it is, it was inevitable that cruising would go up. Looks like they are trying to cut corners so the price of the cruise doesn't sky rocket. And for that I am happy. I don't think it will go as extreme as you have suggested.

I fully plan to enjoy my first cruise regardless.

Well I guess that if you where in the travel business, that would be why you seam to be a cheerleader for the cruise lines, (all or most of them) because you need them.

but Im not. I have posted before, my Dad is the only driver and he got macular degeneration and I quit my job in Florida and moved here to try and stop him from driving. He still sneaks out if I go on a cruise, and I worry he will be in a accident (he also doesnt hear well). He cant read road signs, cant get out of a parking garage (cant read the exit signs, just see their shape). I shop for them and drive both my parents around. I used to drive my sister too, but she got married. She has seizures so she doesnt drive either. As Im the only driver, I decided I needed to be here with my family, so I picked up and moved. There I was working so I didnt cruise, when I lived in S. FL, now Im a zillion miles from FL and have to fly. Even I go, geez about that. I lived in Boca Raton, which is like 30 miles from Port Everglades and didnt cruise really (just a few one day cruises) until I moved back here to Texas.. duuh.

I spend time waiting on my Dad especially, so Im on the computer when I am sitting waiting for them a lot too. I admit I have too much time on my hands right now. ok? Make people happy to admit that.

I assure you I am not a travel professional, just cruising way way too much. I pay full price just like you do.

but Im not. I have posted before, my Dad is the only driver and he got macular degeneration and I quit my job in Florida and moved here to try and stop him from driving. He still sneaks out if I go on a cruise, and I worry he will be in a accident (he also doesnt hear well). He cant read road signs, cant get out of a parking garage (cant read the exit signs, just see their shape). I shop for them and drive both my parents around. I used to drive my sister too, but she got married. She has seizures so she doesnt drive either. As Im the only driver, I decided I needed to be here with my family, so I picked up and moved. There I was working so I didnt cruise, when I lived in S. FL, now Im a zillion miles from FL and have to fly. Even I go, geez about that. I lived in Boca Raton, which is like 30 miles from Port Everglades and didnt cruise really (just a few one day cruises) until I moved back here to Texas.. duuh.

I spend time waiting on my Dad especially, so Im on the computer when I am sitting waiting for them a lot too. I admit I have too much time on my hands right now. ok? Make people happy to admit that.

I assure you I am not a travel professional, just cruising way way too much. I pay full price just like you do.

That is nice that you are taking care of your parents.

Here is an idea, instead of taking 3 or more single cruises that you paid double price for, why don't you take them with, that way they wont be sneeking off and driving the car, maybe the ship, but not the car.

Waldo, I see your point...and yes you have exaggerated a lot.

I just seems like with the economy the way it is, it was inevitable that cruising would go up. Looks like they are trying to cut corners so the price of the cruise doesn't sky rocket. And for that I am happy. I don't think it will go as extreme as you have suggested.

I fully plan to enjoy my first cruise regardless.

My only problem is with the "you can pay for a better lobster/steak" if this is the "Better" what is the other, "WORSE" food, why are they serving not better food?.

I was on Triumph a couple of weeks ago, that did offer the 4 items for $18, surf and turf, just steak, just lobster, and one more. Someone posted a picture of the 4 choices in the bottom of the right hand side of the menu in a box.

Its just a option if you want a MAINE lobster. The little free lobster isnt a Maine lobster. I dont think Carnival has been serving Maine lobster for a while for free, but Im not a expert on lobster, I just like it a lot.

I can see I might decide to pay $18 for a maine large lobster. I love it. I would even be happy if they would keep the broiled shrimp on the free lobster and just give me a couple of the free ones, instead of two full plates, with all the veggies and shrimp. I just want the lobster.

Since it does not affect the free lobster, just like having a pay restaurant on the newer ships does not affect the food in the MDR .. Im fine with it. Why worry about what they might do until they do it. The free lobster was still free. I decided to get the duck too, so I had both the duck and the lobster for free. Two of my favorite carnival meals.

Its a option. Do you also object to having a pay restaurant on ships?? same thing, its a option. i say great, let others subsisdize my cruise.

PS its already started on some ships .. so how could it start on 1/1/11?? It was on Triumph and Host Mach says the $18 option is on a couple of other ships as well. Like FCC desks, it takes a while to get on all ships .. but it already is on ships. Its here. I saw it on Triumph with my own two eyes. posts going back to last October reported it on their ship. I did a search to see how far back this has been going on. Its here. Its the its starting 1/1/11 I am objecting to, because Iv already been on a ship with it.

Waldo its only on ships that do not have a pay restaurant.

Mach, I agree with everyone you are a great source for information from Carnival, but what if...

John is not allowed to tell about the changes, he does work for Carnival, so if they tell the staff about this change, but say "don't tell anyone yet about it" what is he going to do, tell you? or Lie about it and say it is not going to happen, then when it does, he will just have to be surprised. He did the same thing about the locking luggage topic a few months ago. Yes they did reword that topic to make things better, but he was wrong in general.

Keep up the good word, but don't expect us to believe just because "John" said it is not so.

Sounds like you pretty much have your mind made up about how things are........

Archived