HAL - never again.

VIKINGO

I was on the same cruise as the op altho we got on in Seattle. I thought it was wonderful, excellent food and service. We were on the same end of the ship, room 3418, but two decks above him. Ship engine or prop noise was never a problem. We definitely will sail with HAL again, preferably on the Amsterdam. Incidentally, I am wondering how he received a letter from HAL headquarters in Seattle a couple of days before we arrived in San Diego. I didn't notice any mail buoys between Honolulu and San Diego.

Did you ever get assigned to the "mail buoy" watch?:D

USN 67-87

Sadly, the ones who swear that they will NEVER, NEVER, EVER - under any circumstances - EVER come back to a particular cruise line, ALWAYS, ALWAYS come back. And then they complain endlessly about the same things every single time.

If they are so untruthful about returning, I can only wonder how truthful they are about the original problems.......................

And you would know this by having done a survey?:rolleyes:

and only 6 posts I wonder how he decided to condemn an entire cruise line due to his misunderstanding of the credit card hold and the need to contact the captain over billing issues and noise. I hope he will answer the questions about how the cabin was chosen and how he booked the cruise.

Here we go again!! In a public forum, this guy has a much right as anyone else to express his opinion. Most here would disagree with his assessment, but who really cares? He doesn't owe anyone an explanation as to how he booked his cabin or cruise. For all anyone knows, he is at a low place in his life right now and things bother him more than they should. Give him a break!! This is another example why people stay away from these boards. Too many bullies!!! Now, the bullies will go after me!!!

Here we go again!! In a public forum, this guy has a much right as anyone else to express his opinion. Most here would disagree with his assessment, but who really cares? He doesn't owe anyone an explanation as to how he booked his cabin or cruise. (emphasis added) For all anyone knows, he is at a low place in his life right now and things bother him more than they should. Give him a break!! This is another example why people stay away from these boards. Too many bullies!!! Now, the bullies will go after me!!!

No need to beat up a reasonable question. I would still like to know if booking through one of the discount cruise brokers can lead to getting some of the known less desirable cabins.

After abt. 60 cruises with different companies, the most with RCCL (41), I

did "Amsterdam" Singapore - Sydney - San Diego.

1: HAL can take a deposit of 60 USD per day, for me 1.800 USD. They

took 4.200 US. I got the money back after abt. 8 days. No explanation,

no excuse received

2: Medical bills for another passenger, (cabin 7040), on my bill (cabin

1949). Explanation: "Same name". My name J.A. Knutsen, the other

passenger: L.S. Knutsson. No excuse received.

3: For 35 days I had to sleep with ear-plugs because of noice from engine

and screws. 2 nights in cabin on other deck. After 1 week HAL pro-

mised me another cabin - nothing happend.

I asked to move to other deck and pay the extra cost. Answer: "Yes"

Nothing happend

After complaining to the captain during a meeting I received a letter

from Seattle (head office) the day before arriving San Diego with an excuse. Not good enough. (But no emailadr. etc so that I could send a reply)

A friend of mine did the same cruise from Seattle to San Diego, 66 days and had a great time, it all depends who you're talking to....:rolleyes:

I wasn't trying to bully him. It just seemed strange to post a negative review about such minor things. Now if the cabin was dirty, the food bad, the staff surley and smokers and chair hogs interfered with his cruise, then he might be justified in not liking that ship but not the entire cruise line.

FWIW...AMSTERDAM does not have screws. It has Azipods / Thrusters. That makes vibration and "prop" noise less than in conventional ships with screws.

That is probably why I noticed the most vibration in the center part of the ship when we were underway. I would guess that the noisiest cabins would be on the Dolphin deck in the middle part of the ship. Altho if the ship was in rough water, they would be the most stable.

In the old days Captains were rarley seen on ships, they now are more visible. On the Zaandam I personally commented to the Captain about problems with the stabalizers. They are just another employee who happen to be in charge of the ship, these people have every right to bring it to the Captains attention if they wish to do so.

Do you complain to your waiter when your bed isn't made?

Do you complain to your bartender when the steak is served is cold?

Do you complain to the cabin steward when there isn't enough Banana in the Daiquiri?

Yes, one has the right to complain to anyone they like - but it doesn't do much good when one doesn't make one's comments to the appropriate people.

FWIW...AMSTERDAM does not have screws. It has Azipods / Thrusters. That makes vibration and "prop" noise less than in conventional ships with screws.

Actually' date=' while [i']Amsterdam[/i] does have pods, it's rather well known for it's vibration in the aft section due to cavitation.

Zuiderdam had the very same issues during in it's inaugural season, a problem which was rectified with the use of air injectors on the hull of the ship which created a cushion of air between the stern and the bubbles in the water that created the vibration - these were installed on all later Vista/Signatures when they were built.

However, vibration isn't something that can be alleviated with ear plugs...

And you would know this by having done a survey?:rolleyes:

Actually yes. A very personal survey.

These people spend a great deal of time with me in my office on my ship, sobbing, threatening, screaming, cursing, making personal attacks, promising lawsuits, and generally making nuisances of themselves.

But the one message they send is very clear; they will NEVER, NEVER, EVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES - EVEN IF IT'S FREE - take another cruise on my ship.

A month or two later, they are back. Despite their near fatal and extremely disturbing experience on my ship, they found a deal they could not refuse - and are usually back in the same vile cabin that nearly ruined their lives.

Then they spend even more time in my office, first re-living the previous horrendous experience, then fast-forwarding to the current absolutely disgusting cruise they are currently suffering through.

Guess what. They will be back yet again - as soon as the price is low enough.

And we will repeat the cycle.

These people spend a great deal of time with me in my office on my ship, sobbing, threatening, screaming, cursing, making personal attacks, promising lawsuits, and generally making nuisances of themselves.

But the one message they send is very clear; they will NEVER, NEVER, EVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES - EVEN IF IT'S FREE - take another cruise on my ship.

A month or two later, they are back. Despite their near fatal and extremely disturbing experience on my ship, they found a deal they could not refuse - and are usually back in the same vile cabin that nearly ruined their lives.

Then they spend even more time in my office, first re-living the previous horrendous experience, then fast-forwarding to the current absolutely disgusting cruise they are currently suffering through.

And, what type of credit do you give them to come back? Someone at HAL Seattle told me there is one lady who goes on the World Cruise every year, complains and gets credit, and comes back year after year.

Do you complain to your waiter when your bed isn't made?

Do you complain to your bartender when the steak is served is cold?

Do you complain to the cabin steward when there isn't enough Banana in the Daiquiri?

Yes, one has the right to complain to anyone they like - but it doesn't do much good when one doesn't make one's comments to the appropriate people.

Well said!!

And, what type of credit do you give them to come back? Someone at HAL Seattle told me there is one lady who goes on the World Cruise every year, complains and gets credit, and comes back year after year.

I don't give them any credit at all - and I don't work for HAL - so I cannot accurately answer your question.

But most mass market lines do give OBC to chronic whiners just to shut them up.

And the whiners know that.

While they may all go back to the ship/cruiseline, I've noticed most people who start threads with similar posts as on this, never come back to answer any of the questions asked (and "no" I haven't done a scientific, statistical survey).

My favorite post of the week.

Reminds me of the old Woody Allen line about the two ladies complaining about the food in one of the Catskills hotels. How awful it was - cold, poorly prepared, etc.

"And the portions were so small!"

A perfect example of a hotel manager! :cool:

I am sorry about your room. I had a room I hated on the last HAL cruise I was on a year ago. The lesson I learned is that it is critical to check out what rooms are available and chose one that is acceptable to you. Leave nothing to chance because you cannot assume they will allow you to change your mind. I am back again but wiser this time.

I think others have explained the amount of hold on your credit card - 2x60x35 = 4200.

I am sorry about the medical mixup, that was a terrible mistake.

Bill

OP did the Amsterdam cruise as part of world-reaching land-sea odyssey:

"I start the 28th Sept. with Transmongolian Train Moscow-Beijing, RCCL Beijing to Hong Kong, Holland/America Singapore-Sydney-San Diego and at last "Island P" to Fort Lauderdale, + may be a RCCL Xmas in Caribbean."

(from the Princess board).

So he probably sailed HAL because it fitted this plan and not because of any desire to try HAL for its own sake. Obviously a very interesting and eclectic traveler.

Sadly, the ones who swear that they will NEVER, NEVER, EVER - under any circumstances - EVER come back to a particular cruise line, ALWAYS, ALWAYS come back. And then they complain endlessly about the same things every single time.

If they are so untruthful about returning, I can only wonder how truthful they are about the original problems.......................

I assume you are exaggerating with the ALWAYS. Life being what it is, a few must literally drop dead before they can return. As for me, I keep a list of places that I will not do business with again, including chains Steak & Shake, Fuddruckers, Carlos O'Kelly's, NCL, Days Inn, Ramada Inn, Holiday Inn, Borders. I don't even remember what some of them did to offend me, but I don't go back, ever.

I assume you are exaggerating with the ALWAYS. Life being what it is, a few must literally drop dead before they can return. As for me, I keep a list of places that I will not do business with again, including chains Steak & Shake, Fuddruckers, Carlos O'Kelly's, NCL, Days Inn, Ramada Inn, Holiday Inn, Borders. I don't even remember what some of them did to offend me, but I don't go back, ever.

You have pointed out the value of providing a forum for negative comments.

As your experience illustrates, for those in the service industry it is an issue that customers, dissatisfied with product, can simply disappear. If this becomes an ongoing problem, the providing company may disappear as well.

It would seem wise that the cruise companies not only utilize post cruise questionnaires, but they should also pay attention to discussion boards such as this which provide an opportunity for frank dialogue. And it's helpful to those cruise lines if posters welcome thoughtful criticism.

In the future, it will be interesting if social media become more important in communicating cruisers experiences.

Archived