Have I Entered the Country?

sail7seas

As said, as soon as a ship is docked or anchored, all passengers (and crew) are cleared by the local authorities. Thus, it doesn't matter whether you disembark the ship or not. In the case of a yellow fever shot, some people are allergic to the shot or have other medical reasons why they cannot have one. If the country requires one for entry, the person must produce a doctor's letter explaining the reason why.

In the case of a crime, jurisdiction gets complicated. Investigations can be made by the FBI, the country's equivalent, and/or the country of registry for the ship. In the case of George Smith's disappearance several years ago, the Turkish authorities did the investigation and cleared the ship to leave. An FBI officer happened to be on vacation there at the same time and assisted. Several years ago, I was on a Med cruise round trip out of Southampton. A man from the US was found late at night in the hot tub with a 15 year old girl, both in their birthday suits. The man was put under cabin arrest and disembarked to the FBI at the next port, Barcelona.

On one cruise we had a living example about issue of being in territorial waters and US Law, after the event occurred.. On a HAL cruise from Vancouver to Asia in the early 2000s the Captain announced that a passenger would be disembarking onto a coast guard ship when we got near Dutch Harbor (Alaska). We all assumed it was a medical emergency but a rather frail but healthy looking older man walked off the ship and onto the other vessel. The next morning there was an article in the 4 page NY Times we all got onboard telling about an accused pedophile priest (many years earlier) with an outstanding arrest warrant being removed from the Volendam near Dutch Harbor.

As the Captain later explained, he was identified when boarding the ship in Vancouver BC, which of course is in Canada. IF he were arrested then there would be extradition to deal with but by waiting until the ship was in American Waters he could simply be arrested and taken back to LA. Dutch Harbor happened to be the place we sailed near in American waters that had such Coast Guard capabilities.

You can imagine this was the talk of the ship that day.

Even in Brazil where they came aboard and photographed and fingerprinted all the passengers. Does anyone remember having to turn in their shot record along with their passport?

When the Brazilian authorities boarded the Amsterdam for fingerprinting and photographing US citizens, they did not ask us for shot records. That was in January 2004, though, and it was the first time they started that procedure for US citizens. The Amsterdam was the first cruise ship to visit Rio after the Brazilians decided to fingerprint and photograph US citizens, in retaliation for some new requirement the US imposed on Brazilian citizens who were coming to the US.

But in response to Sail's point, if someone's life would be threatened by having the shot, they would be entitled to stay aboard without having a shot and if they travel on to another country there would be a record by the ship that this person never left the ship.

Bob, I believe you are mistaken, if you mean this in general. Whether or not a doctor's certificate would be accepted would be entirely up to the laws of the country involved. There is no entitlement. Tourism is a 5 billion dollar industry in Brazil, so their laws are almost certainly going to be tourist friendly, but entering a foreign port in general will make anyone subject to their laws, whether or not they disembark. Interestingly, this is not the case of a ship passing through territorial waters without docking, under maritime law.

Bill

We have cruised a number of times to South America and Asia where cholera, yellow fever and other shots were recommended or required. We have the shots and shot records, but I don't ever remember being asked to show the shot record to anyone. Even in Brazil where they came aboard and photographed and fingerprinted all the passengers. Does anyone remember having to turn in their shot record along with their passport?

Same thing here - when we went - no one asked to see our immunization records. They were more interested in our visa and our passports

I used you deal with US Customs and ICE a lot as well as many countries all over the world.

Here are some titd bits...

When you board the ship they take you passport in many cases or at least the number on it. When your ship "clears" the port to enter that means they have submitted a manifest with your name on it. and you are, dear friend, in the country legaly." If they can make their citizens do something.... they can make you.

I remember in Singapore them searching the ship for drugs because they are death on drugs from marajuana to harder stuff ( When I say death I an not being cute... first offense is normaly death) even perscriptions mixed in the same bottle qualifies. If on the ship and they discover you in possession.... you get the same "suspended sentence" as if in downtown.

Now, as to the rights you have.... they are the same as if you were a citizen of that country... not the USA. They hang US, Austrailan, Dutch just as fast as a Singa.... forget pleas or the pope.

Now here is a interesting fact.... when you re-enter the USA waters you are not in the united states, well you are but not admitted and not with rights untill your passport is formaly stamped. Till that time, you have none.

There is this line painted on the floor...yellow mostly... and it is known as the "deadline" Untilll you cross over it after your passport has been stamped admitted, you ain't in America. Next time in an international customs look for the line....it is there. That is how it works in america.

search and seizure needs no warrent as mentioned

Bottom line, play ball, do what the country you visit tell you to do...it is not in your best interest to not do so

There was a thread on CC a couple years ago where numerous cruisers were denied boarding on embarkation day in Florida because the didn`t obtain their visas for Brazill (I believe) using the excuse that they wouldn`t get off the ship in Brazil. I believe it involved around 100 passengers. I don`t recall which cruise line.

Our Singapore to Rome cruise visited India en route.

At embarkation in Singapore, we saw several passengers denied boarding because they had not obtained visas for India.

You are in a country, whether or not you leave the ship.

We have cruised a number of times to South America and Asia where cholera, yellow fever and other shots were recommended or required. We have the shots and shot records, but I don't ever remember being asked to show the shot record to anyone. Even in Brazil where they came aboard and photographed and fingerprinted all the passengers. Does anyone remember having to turn in their shot record along with their passport?

When we went on our Panama Canal cruise we had to show proof before we boarded the ship in FL. I'm not sure whish country required everyone to have it but we couldn't board without it. Some passengers tried to board without haveing the shot and they were given it right there.A couple of people refused and they were not permitted to board.

The country that wanted everyone to have it. did not have yellow fever and did not want it transported to their country. We said we could stay on board ship but that wasn't the point, as a mosquito "might " have bitten us in another country and then when in their country we could be bitten by another which would then transfer to one of their countrymen. It seemed a bit far fetched to me as I'm sure the mosquitos don't stop at their borders when flying. :rolleyes:

Helen

And it doesn't have to be "in port". We were on the Grand Princess in the Med. We had our passports with us. We left Santorini and went to Kusadasi Turkey. We were then scheduled to go to Mykonos, but had to abort due to high winds, and the Captain came on the intercom to tell us we would just be sailing slowly to Athens, and for everyone to come to the Purser's Desk, that the Greek Government determined because we changed our itinerary, they would hold all passports until we cleared Greek waters. We went to Athens, Katakolon and Corfu, so we were without our passports for 3 days.

When I objected, the Purser told me if I didn't follow the REQUEST, the Greek government could have me detained as we were in their jurisdiction, and he was sure I didn't want that kind of incident on my vacation.

If I embark in Vancouver on Holland America on a cruise to Mexico, and not get off the ship in San Diego before going to Mexico, what country am I in?

When I am aboard a Holland America ship, anywhere... I am in God's Country.

Wow. I always was under the impression that a passenger wouldn't be considered "in the country" until s/he set foot on terra firma. I understand about being in territorial waters; but how can that be considered "IN" the country?

I doubt even the most radical country would come aboard a passenger ship and force vaccinate a stay-aboard person who had no immunization record.

start shooting people from aboard. :D

There was a thread on CC a couple years ago where numerous cruisers were denied boarding on embarkation day in Florida because the didn`t obtain their visas for Brazill (I believe) using the excuse that they wouldn`t get off the ship in Brazil. I believe it involved around 100 passengers. I don`t recall which cruise line.

It may have been the Carnival Splendor. I was on the third leg (Valpariso to SFO) of the around the horn cruise. From what I was told including from a person who was affect, 300 people had to go to the Brazilian Consul and then fly to Barbados to pick up the ship at the passenger's expense. Rumor had several passengers gave up the cruise.

Carnival informed me of the Chilean visa requirements 2 days before I left. Since this was my second trip I wasn't affected.

On my two cruises to Brazil the visa and YF papers were checked before I was able to go to the check in counter.

This.....In most cases the ship or airplane will not board you if you dont have the necessary visas and paperwork required to make all the stops you are scheduled to do.

If you miss the cruise due to this its not refundable

Accepting a passenger with out all the proper documents makes the line responsible for returning the passenger from where he came from. This happens to airline passengers a lot.:eek:

It is my understanding that if a Yellow Fever inoculation is "required", and you don't have it, you will be denied boarding. Just the same as if you don't have a US Passport, and one is required. If you can't have the shot for medical reasons, a doctor's note will not suffice. It will be your responsibility to find another cruise, one that does not require the imunization. As others have stated, you will be in another country, whether you disembark or not, and you are required to obide by their rules and regulations regarding this issue.

David

quite correct

in 2007 we were scheduled to do an amazon cruise on the prinsendam - but the cruise was cancelled because she had to go into an emergency dry dock

so hal transfered our booking to the 2008 december cruise

our yellow fever shots expired in january 2008 -- due to dh's various medical conditions he could no longer get a yellow fever shot -- i had read on here that if we took a letter from our doctor -- all would be well and we could take the cruise -- i didn't trust this -- so our ta called hal and they said 'yes - a doctor's note would suffice -- BUT -- the officials at ft lauderdale have the final say and they could very well deny us boarding the ship' -- and then we also learned that if we did manage to board the ship -- once we got to the amazon there was also the possibly that we would not be allowed to leave the ship in the various ports

naturally we cancelled the cruise

Archived