Queensland is flooding 09/01/2011 and is not cruise related

thied

Thanks for pointing out where we both live. I did live in Mt Gravatt for 12 months and I have a lot of friends and family in the Brisbane area. A simple name of the road and suburb is all I wanted to know?

no where near Mt gravatt about 45 kms away

Dreadful..Hard to imagine a volume of water that big.

Wonder how Dennis ,who posts as Rassa Sayang from Toowoomba, got on?

Trust all is well Dennis.

Hi David,

Thanks for the thought, we are OK here.

Our unit is on slightly higher ground and we only experienced some minor flooding outside.

The same cant be said for a lot of the Toowoomba CBD, the wall of water that hit there yesterday is beyond belief.

Nothing like it has ever been seen before, and hopefully will never be seen again

Worst of all is the loss of life.

Property can be repaired or replaced - lives can't.

Our thoughts are with those bereaved, and those who have lost property - not just here but across the whole of Queensland and Australia.

Hi David,

Thanks for the thought, we are OK here.

Our unit is on slightly higher ground and we only experienced some minor flooding outside.

The same cant be said for a lot of the Toowoomba CBD, the wall of water that hit there yesterday is beyond belief.

Nothing like it has ever been seen before, and hopefully will never be seen again

Worst of all is the loss of life.

Property can be repaired or replaced - lives can't.

Our thoughts are with those bereaved, and those who have lost property - not just here but across the whole of Queensland and Australia.

Glad to hear you are OK Dennis. We're trying to contact friends of ours who run a motel in Toowoomba hoping they're OK as well.

So sad to hear of the loss of life especially as out of the 8 so far confirmed deceased 4 are children... still more than 72 people missing.

Jillybean

Glad to hear you are OK Dennis. We're trying to contact friends of ours who run a motel in Toowoomba hoping they're OK as well.

So sad to hear of the loss of life especially as out of the 8 so far confirmed deceased 4 are children... still more than 72 people missing.

Jillybean

here is a number to ring about toowoomba 1300 993 191

Floods hit Esk

RELENTLESS flooding has isolated residents in the Brisbane Valley and closed roads and bridges across the region.

Propped up by a raging Lockyer Creek and ongoing releases from Wivenhoe Dam, the Brisbane River rose to heights that some locals said they hadn't encountered.

Andrew Korner | 11th January 2011

IQT_11-01-2011_NEWS_07_esk_fct452x278_t325.jpg

http://www.qt.com.au/story/2011/01/11/esk-floods-rain-brisbane-valley/

http://ipswich-news.whereilive.com.au/news/story/ipswich-on-flood-watch-as-bremer-river-rises-and-roads-floods-in-rosewood/

THE Ipswich flood crisis is expected to go beyond 1974 levels and residents are urged to plan evacuations.

Residents in low-lying regions at Forest Hill, Toogoolawah and Esk are being evacuated as the search for scores of flood victims west of Ipswich started this morning. They are advised to go to higher ground as flood waters rise in the area.

Police are advising all members of the community who live or are currently near the Brisbane River at West End to move to higher ground.

The Brisbane River has risen and we are starting to see the water enter streets in the low lying areas of West End.

Queensland Premier Anna Bligh said this morning that 72 people, including whole families, are missing. Eight people have been confirmed dead.

The Ipswich CBD went under in the 1974 floods. Fourteen people lost their lives in those floods.

The Ipswich Motorway is closed in both directions. The Blunder Rd and Boundary Rad intersection of the motorway at Oxley Creek and Boundary and Rudd St intersection at Oxley (near Golf Club) are also expected to be cut off due to flooding.

dam leels as of today and what they doing with the water

http://www.seqwater.com.au/public/dam-levels

Photo's of flooding on the north side of brisbane and many other area's

http://quest-news.whereilive.com.au/photos/gallery/let-it-rain/

when this happened last I was 11

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/blogs/blunt-instrument/the-wet-season-hasnt-even-started-yet/20110110-19kwb.html

If any one is interested channel nine has rolling program and up dates on the flooding qld wide,

most work places are sending there people home who want o go home in and around brisbane,eg; fed goverment, qld goverment, local goverment, leaving only em staff to help every one/any one.

The Brisbane River has broken its banks amid dire predictions of the biggest floods to hit Queensland's capital since 1974.

The weather bureau says the river is expected to reach major flood levels tomorrow afternoon and rise further on Thursday.

Police are preparing residents and business owners in the inner-city suburb of West End for the possibility of evacuations later today.

The Brisbane City Council says more than 200 homes and businesses along the river are at risk, most at Rocklea, Albion, Milton and Auchenflower.

Police are advising all residents in low-lying parts of Caboolture and Strathpine to the north of Brisbane to evacuate to higher ground immediately.

The maps are provided as a visual representation of road closures currently affecting the road network at an individual regional level.

Maps will be updated at approximately 9:00am and 2:00pm each day.

A list of suburbs expected to experience floods on Wednesday, as released by the Brisbane City

• Albion
  • Auchenflower
  • Bowen Hills
  • Brisbane City
  • Bulimba
  • Chelmer
  • Coorparoo
  • East Brisbane
  • Fairfield
  • Fig Tree Pocket
  • Fortitude Valley
  • Graceville
  • Hemmant
  • Indooroopilly
  • Kangaroo Point
  • Lytton
  • Milton
  • Moggill
  • Murrarie
  • New Farm
  • Newstead
  • Norman Park
  • Oxley
  • Pinkenba
  • Rocklea
  • Sherwood
  • South Brisbane
  • Tennyson
  • Yeronga
  • Yerongpilly
  • Wacol
  • West End
  • Windsor

We live in Toowoomba and it has been so devasting as to what has happened to our beautiful garden city.

The video you would have seen of the little blue 4WD is this vehicle slammed against the Herries street bridge. I was told that there is 2 bodies in it and they tried to recover the vehicle last night. I am not certain how true that is, but a workman there told me this.

Annalises005.jpg

It has been a dreadful time for our lovely city, and justs breaks your heart. The whole event has been too much.

The whole of the CBD is in shutdown, and so many places have had water through them. Myers has had water through the ground floor.

The coffee club below is supposed to have had its roof fall in.

Toowoombacbdfloods1.jpg

Photos at Long Street, East Creek:

P1050971.jpg

Lake Annand with the footbridge just exposed, this bridge has been a place where a lot of wedding parties have had their photos taken on the bridge

P1050977.jpg

The hut from an island in Lake Annand that is used by ducks was completely washed away onto the edge of Perth Street:

P1050987.jpg

And also yesterday was 25 years since we had the large devasting hailstorm in 1976.

Australian family it is truly amazing how power water has and the damage it can do, most shops and places of work are closed in and Brisbane Toowooma and and sth east Qld atm.

The Lord major of Brisbane has just said on TV that the flooding of brisbane is going to worse then they first though, there figurs of properties flooding will be 6500 houses and 16500 parly flooded thats what The brisbane Lord Majar ihas just said, and they are expecting a level of fllooding in brisbane city will readh 5.1 mtrs.

Floods hit Esk

RELENTLESS flooding has isolated residents in the Brisbane Valley and closed roads and bridges across the region.

Propped up by a raging Lockyer Creek and ongoing releases from Wivenhoe Dam, the Brisbane River rose to heights that some locals said they hadn't encountered.

Andrew Korner | 11th January 2011

IQT_11-01-2011_NEWS_07_esk_fct452x278_t325.jpg

http://www.qt.com.au/story/2011/01/11/esk-floods-rain-brisbane-valley/

Hi Thied, thanks so much for this link, I have been looking for this article for a while but google wasn't showing anything, I have family in Harlin close to those areas, they have parts of the river running through their farm, and the waters are almost at their house, one of them was stranded in toogolowah for a couple of days until my uncle took one of the enormous farm tractors out to get him, electricity is down and they are running some form of generators on the farm for lights and cooking etc.

Also your pictures of wivenhoe dam are incredible, the amount of water coming out the slipway is enourmous, I've seen them letting water out before but nothing in the amounts that they are letting out at the moment.

Thank you for the update from that area.

Hi Thied, thanks so much for this link, I have been looking for this article for a while but google wasn't showing anything, I have family in Harlin close to those areas, they have parts of the river running through their farm, and the waters are almost at their house, one of them was stranded in toogolowah for a couple of days until my uncle took one of the enormous farm tractors out to get him, electricity is down and they are running some form of generators on the farm for lights and cooking etc.

Also your pictures of wivenhoe dam are incredible, the amount of water coming out the slipway is enourmous, I've seen them letting water out before but nothing in the amounts that they are letting out at the moment.

Thank you for the update from that area.

Thank you but the the slip way gate are not the main spil way of that dam there are three more spil ways that are none controlable and once the water gets to them there will be so much water coming down the Brisbane river

the phots and article can not show all of and how it really is.

We have lost power from 10 am today so now we are using our generators with fuel drops tomorrow for people that need fuel. all good

NEWS BREAK ON CHANNEL NINE BY PREMIER ANNA BLIGH

She has done a media release that Brisbane and surounding area's that the flood level's they expecting is going to be higher then The 1974 floods for Brisbane.

The news and shown on the latest news was that they were clearing all boats and shipps from the brisbane river, The river cats are in manly habour and the bigger ships are being send into the bay, I can not find anything about the cargo, cruise,tanker ships.

stanc61 Quote

(Hi thied, what is the name of this flooded road, it looks familiar to me?)

you are in Bradbury, NSW and im in brisbane Qld

Typical response :rolleyes:. You can never answer a simple question. She already knows that :mad:.

I can't understand you thied. What is the big secret? A simple question was asked requiring a simple answer, the name of the road please?

Because that's his typical response. Not very polite is he :mad:. I wish I could help answer your question, maybe someone nice can ;).

Hi thied, what is the name of this flooded road, it looks familiar to me?

Typical response :rolleyes:. You can never answer a simple question. She already knows that :mad:.

Because that's his typical response. Not very polite is he :mad:. I wish I could help answer your question, maybe someone nice can ;).

Quote:Originally Posted by stanc61 viewpost.gif

Thanks for pointing out where we both live. I did live in Mt Gravatt for 12 months and I have a lot of friends and family in the Brisbane area. A simple name of the road and suburb is all I wanted to know?

Originally Posted by stanc61 viewpost.gif

my answer; no where near Mt gravatt about 45 kms away.

my quote plus Photo's was;

this from where I live and how much water is over half of our own place/house/ where we live from the front door we have our own lake

I will not give out the name of the street I live in and nor should any one have the right to ask me or any one else.

from cruise critic rules;

It is best not to post your real name, address or phone number publicly on the boards. Also, keeping as much information about yourself private should be your first priority. Tthink carefully before posting too much other personal data on any public message board forum, such as your stateroom number or your real name, city, state and dates of cruising!

If we come across a posting that contains too much personal information, we will remove it automatically. It is, however, *your* responsibility to keep your personal information safe. If you see too much information on the boards, please use the Report a Post feature, or write to boards@cruisecritic.com with a LINK to the specific posting/thread.

end quote.

Love thied

Brisbane on edge ahead of catastrophic flood peak

Authorities are urging people to stay calm as Brisbane and Ipswich prepare for unprecedented flooding over the next two days.

Heavy rain, releases from the giant Wivenhoe Dam and high tides will combine to cause major flood peaks in both cities in the next couple of days, with river levels rising above the historic 1974 floods.

And a four-year-old boy's death in Ipswich has taken the Queensland floods death toll to 10.

The Bremer River at Ipswich is now expected to reach 22 metres tomorrow morning - 1.5 metres above the 1974 level.

The Brisbane River is predicted to rise to 3 metres tonight, 4.5 metres tomorrow and is likely to peak higher than the 1974 floods that reached 4.55 metres.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/01/11/3110839.htm

We and fellow companies have been put on the red cross list to help with getting the houses that are still live able into a safe state so power and water can be turned on, The list is huge there are so any companies that are will to help people all free.

The news and shown on the latest news was that they were clearing all boats and shipps from the brisbane river, The river cats are in manly habour and the bigger ships are being send into the bay, I can not find anything about the cargo, cruise,tanker ships.

Maritime Safety for Brisbane River in flood

Residents with boats and pontoons moored in the Brisbane River are strongly urged to secure them today. Patrick Quirk, Acting General Manager of Maritime Safety Queensland, said boat-owners should secure moorings, doubling ropes if possible, and ensure all hatches are secure, ahead of the river's peak tomorrow.

The river is being cleared of commercial shipping, it's being moved out to Moreton Bay

full story at

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2011/01/11/3110515.htm

The tuges are down at fisherman island moving all the ship out in to the bay as seen on live ships and from what im told from white island tuge base.

Archived