Queensland is flooding 09/01/2011 and is not cruise related

thied

Brisbane flood clean-up starts as damage emerges

January 14, 2011 - 11:39AM

The full horror of the devastation wrought by floods in Brisbane emerged Friday as waters drained from the swamped Australian city but barrelled on towards small towns downstream.

Residents of the country's third-largest city nervously returned to see what remained of their homes and businesses as the muddy brown waters that had covered buildings up to their roofs dropped to reveal their terrible handiwork.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-world/brisbane-flood-cleanup-starts-as-damage-emerges-20110114-19q1c.html

Thank you every one for all your kinds thoughts not just for but for every one in Queensland,

WE have just got back home from from a clean up at some one house. what a mess and as it was peoples home I did not take Photo's, AS I think it wrong, but We did Take some shot on our way home.

I will post later sorry some of the Photo's are of where we use to live and our old house, yes its say but life does go on.

WE worked with local fire , the rural fire they are doing just a great job ( that is an under statement for them both)

They just get in and do it and we just followed and helped as we all hauled people things out the mud I just do not how to say what is like sorry and I do not want any praise please, we just helping people in need.

Just if any one that lives any where near the flooded places any where in Queensland just please sign on to help they need every bit of help they can get, even if it from some bring water to drink to what ever you can do just sign on if you can.

I'd love to be able to write a a post that explains what has happened in Brisbane /Qld every where.

As I watched the news and channel nine who has been great so far I must say.

In what we have seen on and oof the tv, we fell that all the people that have given there time frre of charge to clean up after this flood god will look after us all.

There is so mush I would like to say I am not able to put in text on here on what we fell and see and find out about our town here

people that have never seen each other have come to gether to help eash other.

my heart no longer goes out to people it is with them know and so are we in the middle.

it truely is as they say you have to be there

Brisbane cleans up after devastating flood

People in Brisbane and surrounding communities are starting to see the full extent of the damage from the devastating floods that swamped thousands of homes and left streets covered in mud and debris.

The floodwaters that poured through parts of Australia's third-largest city are starting to recede, but officials are warning local residents to be careful as they move back into flood-hit areas.

MAP

Australian Broadcasting Corporation map of flood-affected communities near Brisbane and Ipswich.

Many areas still don't have power, and officials said the standing water and mud could cause health problems.

The floods swamped more than 30,000 homes and businesses. Some suburbs are still under water, while others are full of sticky mud.

"There is a lot of heartache and grief as people start to see for the first time what has happened to their homes and their streets," Queensland Premier Anna Bligh said.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/14/brisbane-flood-recovery-114.html#ixzz1B1AVUUe3

Tim Cahill the soccer roo player here in Australia who is currently playing for everton in the uk and this how they doing it on ebay

currently at $150 thousand and the bids keep coming now $161 thousand

The Tim Cahill Everton Experience includes:

- Two (2) Business Class airfares to the UK from any port in Australia, donated by Emirates Airlines

- Two (2) seats in Tim’s private box, to watch any Everton home match this season (includes dinner and drinks)

- an invitation to watch an Everton TC training session and meet the team

- a Tim Cahill Everton jersey signed by the whole Everton team

- a pair of signed Tim Cahill boots from the game that the winning bidder watched.

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/2011/01/13/tim-backing-floods-fundraiser

Everton midfielder Tim Cahill has launched an initiative to raise cash for victims of the Queensland floods.

The Club and its partners have also leant their full backing to the fundraiser which involves people bidding on internet auction site ebay to win the ‘Tim Cahill Everton Experience’. All proceeds will go to the Queensland Disaster Relief Fund.

The auction is at $345,100.00 I wonder how high it will go and how many familys it will help.

Volunteers turn out for recovery in Brisbane as flood crisis spreads across country

AN ARMY of volunteers turned has turned out today to help people clean homes and businesses hit hard by the Brisbane flooding.

Just as stricken areas in and around the eastern hub of Brisbane began the mammoth task of recovering from floods that killed at least 16, thousands of residents in southern Victoria were forced to flee fast-rising waters.

Volunteers lined up this morning to help clear the mess in disaster-stricken Brisbane after the floods this week caused billions of dollars of damage.

Im in the photo

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/in-depth/queensland-floods/volunteers-turn-out-for-recovery-in-brisbane-as-flood-crisis-spreads-across-country/story-fn7iwx3v-1225988266655

there's another auction going on Ebay, the bids up to $50,000

Kevin Pietersen Queensland Flood Relief Appeal

I am auctioning my Ashes shirt and bat as used in this year’s Ashes series, shown in the picture. I will personalise the bat to the winning bidder. I will also include 2 tickets to the last One Day International game in Perth on the 6th February, and the bidder will come and watch the team train the day before. I will also provide 2 economy return airline tickets from anywhere in the World to Perth and 2 night’s accommodation at a hotel in Perth for the 5th and 6th February.

Please dig deep to raise as much as possible.

Thanks

KP

Note: The winning bidder will be contacted by Kevin Pietersen's UK management team to finalise details once the bid has been won.

Weather: Brisbane 21°C - 28°C . Mostly fine, morning shower

577333-cm-facebook-flood.jpg

Your help is still needed

THOUSANDS more volunteers will be needed next week as the south-east tackles one of its biggest clean-ups in the region's history. As residents arrived with mops, brooms and shovels to tackle the flooding aftermath yesterday, Brisbane Lord Mayor Campbell Newman warned the city's civilian army the job would not be over in one weekend, but could take weeks.

He said residents would continue to be called-up again and again, with just a fraction of the mud and debris left behind by the floods so far removed.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/ipad/your-help-is-still-needed/story-fn6ck45n-1225988304704

Police to scour Brisbane River for flood victims

Water police have been asked to search the Brisbane River for those missing after the devastating flash floods in the Lockyer Valley.

Queensland's disaster co-ordinator says he hopes to finish the search of Grantham tomorrow, paving the way for residents to return to the community.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/01/15/3113643.htm?section=justin

there's another auction going on Ebay, the bids up to $50,000

Kevin Pietersen Queensland Flood Relief Appeal

I am auctioning my Ashes shirt and bat as used in this year’s Ashes series, shown in the picture. I will personalise the bat to the winning bidder. I will also include 2 tickets to the last One Day International game in Perth on the 6th February, and the bidder will come and watch the team train the day before. I will also provide 2 economy return airline tickets from anywhere in the World to Perth and 2 night’s accommodation at a hotel in Perth for the 5th and 6th February.

Please dig deep to raise as much as possible.

Thanks

KP

Note: The winning bidder will be contacted by Kevin Pietersen's UK management team to finalise details once the bid has been won.

that is just the best all these people that can raise money in this way.

Tim auction is up to $370,700.00

Yes,(I think the post you are referring to was from WAY back! Not last night!!) and at that time I ment it and can say that tongue in cheek as I have met him and his family personally, but, he has done good in volinteering today, and so did my husband- (no, not with thied, ) Good on ya steve! And every one else that assisted!

The reaon I could not help today was I had to stay at home with my 6yr old daughter,

This disaster has affected us all in one way or another, My home is not flooded, but My work place is, so I havnt been able to work, and I am casual- which means I donty get paid!

(But, I guess you already know that!!!!:mad:)

Hello great to you both are doing your best at helping and did not get flooded.

We were lucky to have some of they people we from around here that are helping the clean up with us, as there teenage children are doing sitting for all the smaller children so we all can do our bit, our place was like abc yesterday it was next door today. here is a photo of one street we were helping in.

IMG_3360.jpg?t=1295090028

AS you can see mud more mud just for every to know you are not alowed to be in these street un less you are helping there are cops every where and are are givin fines out to people rubber necking, any it is very hard and dangerous to drive on this mud we saw fire trucks park in the middle of the pumping water to wash the houses and they had hose the mud away from the trucks so they would slid off the road.

and mud stinks

........Ps good on you guys

From here on is the hard and heartbreaking part as the clean up gets under way.

And unfortunately for some people we know they are not allowed to return to their homes. This is happening to people in Grantham. They are still looking for bodies, and a lot of people aren't allowed home. All we hear is helicopters flying over all the time. Grantham is a tiny little village in the Lockyer Valley between Helidon and Gatton. There is just so many homes, washed away, or that badly damaged that they will have to be demolished. These homes will be so horrible when people can return to them.

Port of Brisbane may reopen Sunday

The Port of Brisbane says it is optimistic business will reopen for commercial shipping from Sunday.

Port operations manager Peter Keyte says the cost of this week's closure due to the floods will be enormous.

He says Maritime Safety Queensland will decide when operations can resume.

"We're working very hard to get the port reopened and re-establish that supply chain," he said.

full story

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/01/15/3113539.htm?section=business

Brisbane floods: did the dams work?

NOW THAT BRISBANE'S FLOODWATERS are receding and the long clean up begins, considerations are turning to just how well the city's infrastructure and systems handled the disaster.

The Wivenhoe Dam has played a central role in managing the massive water flow into the Brisbane River catchment area, and therefore, to urban areas.

From lessons learned after the 1974 flood, the dam - built in 1984 and located some 80 km upstream from Brisbane - was constructed to mitigate future severe floods and prevent smaller ones.

"If were not for Wivenhoe, we would have faced flooding the likes of which we cannot comprehend," Brisbane Mayor Campbell Newman says.

full stiry and photo's

http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/journal/brisbane-floods-did-the-dams-work.htm

MELBOURNE (Reuters) - Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and other top tennis players hammed it up in exhibition matches on the eve of the Australian Open to raise money for victims of the country's devastating floods Sunday.

The men's titans shelved their fierce rivalry to play a few farcical points before teaming up in doubles against Belgium's Kim Clijsters and local hope Sam Stosur in front of 15,000 spectators at a packed Rod Laver Arena.

At least 18 people have been killed in Stosur's home state of Queensland, where floods spanning an area the size of France and Germany combined have obliterated whole towns and left thousands homeless. Dozens more people are missing.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1466937/Tennis-players-laugh-it-up-to-raise-funds-for-flood-victims

Queensland Premier Anna Bligh is calling on people not affected by the state's devastating floods to dig deep and give generously to the flood appeal.

Socceroos star Tim Cahill, who plays for English Premier League club Everton, will also significantly bolster the flood relief after offering fans two seats in his private box to attend a game and two business class airfares to the UK.

Bidding on Ebay has already passed $700,000, and the winning bidder will also attend an Everton training session and meet the team.

Ms Bligh said there were still more than 22,000 homes without power in Brisbane and Ipswich, and said that all homes which could be reconnected should have power by Wednesday or Thursday next week.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/01/16/3113950.htm

Brisbane set to return to life

Brisbane's CBD will show signs of regular working life this week although bosses are urged to stagger the return of their employees to ease the load on congested roads and the public transport system.

Transport Minister Rachel Nolan says commuters can expect minor disruptions to rail and bus services, and the CityCat and CityFerry will be out of action until the Brisbane River is cleared of debris.

Buses are returning to regular weekday timetables and the entire busway network will resume operations for the first time since Wednesday," Ms Nolan said.

Tolls on the Clem7 and Go Between Bridge will be waived until midnight on Monday, while tolls on the Gateway and Logan motorways have been waived until further notice.

The Warrego Highway has finally reopened allowing travel between Brisbane and Miles, 335km west of the CBD, for the first time in three weeks.

full story

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/floods/8197590/brisbane-set-to-return-to-life

it also said that the port will open tomorrow but it was today with the two fuel tanker in port for un loading.

thied

I have followed some of your thread and would like to thank you for posting the following link:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/in-depth/queensland-floods/volunteers-turn-out-for-recovery-in-brisbane-as-flood-crisis-spreads-across-country/story-fn7iwx3v-1225988266655

I had searched the net for a map of the flood stricken areas & hoped that the information which it gave me was correct ie that Gaythorne had not been affected.

I then opened the above link, which shows a friend of ours in the line up of volunteers.

Amazing!

You are all in our thoughts.

thied

I have followed some of your thread and would like to thank you for posting the following link:

I had searched the net for a map of the flood stricken areas & hoped that the information which it gave me was correct ie that Gaythorne had not been affected.

I then opened the above link, which shows a friend of ours in the line up of volunteers.

Amazing!

You are all in our thoughts.

Yes are very welcome and I am glad to be off some help to you.

Amazing!

I can assure you that Gaythorne (and most of the northside of Brisbane away from the river) wasn't in the flood area.

I'm glad you saw a photo of your friend.

Archived