Queensland is flooding 09/01/2011 and is not cruise related

thied

Up to 100,000 set to lose power

Brisbane is about to power down, with electricity set to be cut to large parts of the CBD from 7am tomorrow.

Energex announced tonight it was planning to cut power to many parts of the CBD for safety reasons, and it was also monitoring flood-affected areas in Brisbane and Ipswich.

Depending on the extent of flooding over the next few days, up to 100,000 power customers could have their electricity cut.

Advertisement: Story continues below

In a statement, Energex said electricity sub-stations were mainly located in buildings close to the Brisbane River, which was expected to reach near-record levels during the next few days.

Full Story and LOTS of Photos at this link

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/environment/weather/up-to-100000-set-to-lose-power-20110111-19mn9.html

Floods halt coal train services west of Brisbane port:QR National

Perth (Platts)--11Jan2011/627 am EST/1127 GMT

Australian rail operator QR National said Tuesday it had been forced to halt coal train services to coal mines located to the west of Brisbane because of extensive floodwaters and a landslide that had damaged tracks overnight.

http://www.platts.com/RSSFeedDetailedNews/RSSFeed/Coal/8391915

Hi Thied

What devastation, Thank you for sharing your photos.

I have been watching the coverage on the news most of the morning very very sad and frightening to watch my heart goes out to these people.

I hope tonight everything goes well in your area and water dosent rise anymore you look as if your up high looking at your driveway.i know with all the rain they have had in some areas today there are flooding in areas around where the Brisbane river is.

Lets hope there is no more loss of life

Trish

Hi Thied

What devastation, Thank you for sharing your photos.

I have been watching the coverage on the news most of the morning very very sad and frightening to watch my heart goes out to these people.

I hope tonight everything goes well in your area and water dosent rise anymore you look as if your up high looking at your driveway.i know with all the rain they have had in some areas today there are flooding in areas around where the Brisbane river is.

Lets hope there is no more loss of life

Trish

Thank you and I think many of the qlders would thank youas well.

Where we are its only storm water and will go away very soon.

The sub station near us as been flooded so that why we have no power, but we and every one around us are all good, we are used to this we get flooded in at least twice a year.

as for the rest of the people well they are in for hard time many more then others and our hearts go out to people that died or have lost friends and family all over qld The toll will be high up around 90 people most from Toowoomba from what the news as said.

More than 9,000 homes in Brisbane and Ipswich are expected to be impacted by flooding over the coming two days. The flood event for the capital is now predicted to be worse than the 1974 flood. Residents are being told to remain calm and listen to radio and television updates. About 40 Brisbane suburbs may be affected.

http://www.abc.net.au/emergency/flood/

To any one that may be concrened it you get a PHONE CALL FROm THIS NUMBER 0444444444 it is not a pank call,

it will be a weather warning that the goverment put out as a comunity service.

They have putting it all after noon.

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/asia-pacific/2011/01/2011111211152762979.html

Thousands flee Australia's third-largest city before floods that are expected to sweep through scores of districts.

Thousands of residents have begun evacuating the outskirts of Australia's third-largest city as other people piled sandbags outside their homes and stockpiled food amid rising floodwaters and more heavy rain.

Town of Grantham devastated by floods

TONY EASTLEY: Reporter Paul Lockyer is in the tiny township of Grantham west of Brisbane that was devastated by floods yesterday, and where many of those helicopters will be flying today no doubt.

Many people there perished, including many children and others are still missing. Much of the town as well has been destroyed.

Paul Lockyer spent the night on the floor of the local primary school.

TONY EASTLEY: Paul Lockyer good morning. What does that town look like this morning because it suffered so dreadfully yesterday?

http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2011/s3110971.htm

Just on the newes that brisbane Oxleys on the water in sinking.

Thanks to the power being restored and dial-up we are back in touch with reality.....we live in the Somerset Dam region and have been flood bound here since Saturday night....

We are high, dry and safe unlike so many others.....i don't do photos during events like this .....made it into town for the essentials lots of stranded campers and grey nomads camped out ...at least they're safe....have no mobile phone or mobile internet think the tower has been lost.....no hardship...... to all who have lost family and friends over the last few days in horrific circumstances we send our condolences and for those in Brisbane who face probably one of the worst things they will ever see our thoughts are with you......we have only had light showers out here today so hopefully little will have been added to the already burdened dams....stay safe and remember its your life thats worth saving not your possessions....Shiona

Thanks to the power being restored and dial-up we are back in touch with reality.....we live in the Somerset Dam region and have been flood bound here since Saturday night....

We are high, dry and safe unlike so many others.....i don't do photos during events like this .....made it into town for the essentials lots of stranded campers and grey nomads camped out ...at least they're safe....have no mobile phone or mobile internet think the tower has been lost.....no hardship...... to all who have lost family and friends over the last few days in horrific circumstances we send our condolences and for those in Brisbane who face probably one of the worst things they will ever see our thoughts are with you......we have only had light showers out here today so hopefully little will have been added to the already burdened dams....stay safe and remember its your life thats worth saving not your possessions....Shiona

Good to know you're ok - stay safe

Vera

My heart goes out to the people in Grantham. We have been hearing some horrible stories. They are starting to recover bodies, black hawk helicopters are flying over all the time. I was told that 5 children from one family has persished. Grantham had no warning for the surge of water. At Helidon the Lockyer Creek, surged down the old highway towards Gatton, and the railway line acted as a contour bank with the water. Helidon and Grantham are not that far apart and the rail line goes between both.

A man hang onto to his guttering of his house for a long time waiting to be rescued after his family had been rescued. He had to wait for the helicopter to return for him.

We know a woman who was also wrenched upto a helicopter. This is a very dark week for Queensland. Have also heard how a man was stranded in a tree and had the company of a snake.

To all the Queenslanders out there - my heart goes out to you and you are in my thoughts and my prayers. I have been watching the devastation unfold in Qld all day. So very sad for you all. Wish we lived closer so we could help. I live in Perth and we are baking in 36 degree temps this week, with drongos lighting bush fires.

Wishing you all well for the next 24 hours. Stay safe and take care of each other.

:)

Facebook message.

Further update on Brisbane flood emergency response

by P&O Cruises Australia on Wednesday, January 12, 2011 at 6:48pm

Good evening everyone. We want to update you on the latest developments regarding Pacific Dawn and Cruises W102 and W103. P&O Cruises has confirmed that Pacific Dawn (W102 cruise), which is due to arrive in Brisbane on Saturday, has been diverted to Sydney following closure of the Port of Brisbane due to the current flood emergency. Pacific Dawn has now established a course for Sydney for a Saturday arrival.

P&O Cruises is currently arranging transport for passengers and is communicating directly with them on board Pacific Dawn. Transport arrangements are also being made for Queensland passengers who are due to join Pacific Dawn‘s W103 cruise on Saturday (January 15), which will now depart from Sydney.

These unprecedented measures to support passengers on W102 and W103 have become necessary because of uncertainty as to when the Port of Brisbane will be reopened to cruise shipping due to extensive debris in the water and the fast flow.

Passengers on board Pacific Dawn have been advised of the decision to divert to Sydney and the steps being taken to assist them.

Passengers on W103 are being contacted directly to outline the help being made available to enable them to join Pacific Dawn for a Saturday departure from Sydney. A revised itinerary is being developed for the cruise. We thank everyone for their understanding in this extraordinary situation in which the safety and security of our passengers remains the paramount consideration.

You got out and about and took some pics Thied.

The Premier, police and emergency services have been telling rubber necks to stay away.

lol not they were there to stop the clowns from driving into the water. We were out and about to give a few friends a hand with moving. there was not alot of people aroung like we were told there would be which made it better to get from house to the others.

on the news just now The are thinking about blow the ferrie The island which is a party ferrie in the brisbane rive as is in danger of breaking loose and crashing into the bridge, so they are looking at sinking her tonight at 10.30 pm.

nine news brisbane

lol not they were there to stop the clowns from driving into the water. We were out and about to give a few friends a hand with moving. there was not alot of people aroung like we were told there would be which made it better to get from house to the others.

OK, if you were out helping others, good on ya.:)

OK, if you were out helping others, good on ya.:)

yes there Thousands of people helping you can on line and sign on to help if you like its the ( redcross.com.au)

Fraid i'm 2000klms away, be making a donation. :)

There are people coming from all over Australia to help. and we have put our hate in to house some of them cant do to many. and Thats if we dont get any heavy rain where we are and get flooded in again.

just in from the news channel nine brisbane

13 people dead.

43 people still missing.

35 suburbs still flooded.

127,000 homes with out power.

43 streets closed in Ipwich.

qld flood will wipe out 1% of Australia's GDP.

Yes Thied Just seen that on telly.we are getting coverage here in country WA all day and some of night it just flashed up 4am EST

I think its fantastic to have this coverage as lots of people have families that are over there so it helps them to know contact numbers etc

Lets hope and pray everyone is out and safe on high ground its going to happen but hopefully with no more lives lost.

How much more of this can the people over there take , we aussies are a nation of kindred ship in these times but some stories are heartbreaking a life time of work,building up their family homes just gone everything .

Just heard brisbane river already rising

Archived