Shopping in Charlotte Amalie?

scottishgirl87

I'm not into jewellery, but if there isn't much else, I would prefer to do a tour with beach stops and forgo shopping all together.

I also read this comment on one of the Oasis reviews:

It is just "one" review, but can someone comment if this is how downtown looks?

Thanks!

Now to the ports. Our first stop was St. Thomas, when you got off the ship it was really beautiful until you head downtown. The whole area was run down, I saw two police officers holding AK-47s, when I saw that I was really nervous. The taxi driver tried to drop all of us down some lonely ally and a lady said she wanted to be dropped off at the post office and he said no, so everyone on the taxi was trying to bribe him into taking us there. Finally when he saw we weren't getting off, he compiled. The downtown was really bad, people all over and cars honking at anything that moved. Free roaming chickens everywhere and bunch of crazy people talking to themselves. We spent 30min shopping and had enough and went back to the ship for lunch.

That sure didn't sound like C.A. I never saw police or soldiers with auto weapons. Just a lot of ladies with shopping bags. The usual place they drop you off is on the waterfront in one of the pull overs near Riiise. No chickens either. There were lots of chickens running around Key West and on Kuaii, Hawaii.

That sure doesn't sound like Charlotte Amalie at all. The last time I was there was last year and it sure wasn't like that or any of the other dozen times I have been there. Anywho, St. Thomas is also know for it's leather goods. I love walking around the Main St. Can't remember where on the street it was but there is a White House Black Market. I assure you it is very safe and clean, that is why it is one of my favorite ports.

We enjoy the shopping especially at the tent markets where the shuttle bus drops you off, then we walk over a block or two to the main street..half way down on the right thru a little side street (ally) is Coconuts where we stop for our "Bushwacker"..Can't wait for March when we'll be back...

. Our first stop was St. Thomas, when you got off the ship it was really beautiful until you head downtown. The whole area was run down, I saw two police officers holding AK-47s, when I saw that I was really nervous.

There are no Police agencies in the Continental US or it's territories that utilize AK-47's as a patrol weapon. I believe the USVI police carry a standard Glock 19 as their service weapon. I think you have confused St Thomas with another non-US port of call.

• 3 weeks later...

The Coach store, BCBG, White House/Black Market, Louis Vuitton, and others are all located in Yacht Haven Grande which is a short walk west of Havensight. If you're docking at Havensight, you'll be able to see it from the port side of the ship (port - that's left, right?)

• 7 months later...
It is just "one" review, but can someone comment if this is how downtown looks?

Now to the ports. Our first stop was St. Thomas, when you got off the ship it was really beautiful until you head downtown. The whole area was run down, I saw two police officers holding AK-47s, when I saw that I was really nervous. The taxi driver tried to drop all of us down some lonely ally and a lady said she wanted to be dropped off at the post office and he said no, so everyone on the taxi was trying to bribe him into taking us there. Finally when he saw we weren't getting off, he compiled. The downtown was really bad, people all over and cars honking at anything that moved. Free roaming chickens everywhere and bunch of crazy people talking to themselves. We spent 30min shopping and had enough and went back to the ship for lunch.

Sounds like Colon, Panama to me. When I was there four years ago, there was a plaza type shopping mall directly off the ship, and there were men with handguns AND machine guns near a few of the stores and outside the mall (I didn't notice if they were police officers or security). I decided not to go into town!

There are more jewelry stores than you can shake a stick at downtown, but there are also clothing stores along the waterfront. Many of the larger stores have departments- jewelry, perfume, make-up, liquor, gifts, etc. The old buildings are worth walking through just to see the architecture.:)

The usual taxi drop off spot is at Little Switzerland jus across from the outdoor flea market. It is just around the corner from the Post Office. Go to the corner and turn left to Main Street. It is perfectly safe.

The usual taxi drop off spot is at Little Switzerland jus across from the outdoor flea market. It is just around the corner from the Post Office. Go to the corner and turn left to Main Street. It is perfectly safe.

Is this near the ship or do you take the taxi from the ship to this place? I like flee markets, is it good?:)

Most of the shops sell souveniers. If there are high end shops in the Yatch Haven mall they are not going to be discount outlets & they will charge top dollar. It's not really a shopping vacation.

DH actually wanted to buy a men's buttondown white dress shirt while we were there b/c he forgot to pack his. We asked a friend who owns a store in Havensight. He said there is no good shopping in the area. He sent us to one place where the shirts were over $100 but not worth it. He also suggested we check out the K-Mart but we didn't have time.

As for the "review" I'd rather see a heavily armed police presence than have anarchy. If that poster didn't like St. Thomas I wonder what they would have thought of some other ports? It makes no sense that a taxi driver wouldn't take passangers whereever they want to go especially for money. I suspect the poster is naive & exaggerating.

Hi all! I was able to find a shopping map, and a map of the pier area. Not sure if the freebies are still being offered, but it helped give me a good idea of where everything is. Sounds like these don't show everything, but I was able to get an idea of where a couple things are. We're doing a day sail, and wanted to be able to head straight to A.H. Riise after the sail for chocolate rum. We have about an hour of shopping time and I imagine we may be a little pressed for time, so the maps are helpful.

Map with stores (PDF file): http://www.shoptalkvi.com/printable_shopping_maps.html

Street map: http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/st/camap.shtml

Is this near the ship or do you take the taxi from the ship to this place? I like flee markets, is it good?:)

Good Morning Jeannie,

This is one of my favorite ports. You take a safari bus taxi to town.

They drop you off near the flea market, which is right beside downtown, because there is so much conjestion they can't get any closer! We can get all of your questions answered before the ship arrives. See you on board!

• 2 weeks later...

The tour I was thinking of taking has one, two or three hours of shopping before the rest of the tour. I'm trying to decide between one or two hours. Are there any benches to sit on in the shopping area that they take you to and are they plentiful? Any places to sit down and get a drink or an ice cream or a light snack? I'm not really interested in buying much of anything expensive but like to wander around and look at outdoor stands. I know my DH wouldn't enjoy standing up for two hours straight - his back hurts him so a place to sit would help in my decision.

• 3 weeks later...
Most of the shops sell souveniers. If there are high end shops in the Yatch Haven mall they are not going to be discount outlets & they will charge top dollar. It's not really a shopping vacation.

True, however you do save on tax. Which, as those of us who purchase LV, Gucci etc. know can add up :) Happy shopping!

Archived