Serious post-What not to pack?

1937olds

A power strip is extremely valuable especially if you have 2 women in the same cabin. Curling irons ipods and cell phones eat up alot of outlets

Yes, but I think this thread is "What not to pack"

Bring a comfortable pair of shoes. After all of the walking and sodium laced foods, swelling occurs. I was miserable until I found fancy black flipflop shoes in ship store.

Well last time I thought I was being very good :D in what I was going to take on our fist cruise.. How wrong could I have been :rolleyes: Laid everything out so I could mix n match, including shoes (only took 5 pairs) thats good for me ;) .... Well i ended up only wearing half of what I took, well I think it was about half ( I may be just streching the truth ) :eek: So what do NOT need to take.....Half of what you think you need too...:D Have a great time...Sharon..

set out all your clothes, take half. :D:D i'm serious..............

and that's what i said.............we are back to square one........but i do like the idea of velcro expandable sandals for swollen feet........my feet swell on every cruise, can not wear dress shoes even though i packed two pair....

• 2 weeks later...
Do not pack a bad attitude. Remember you are on vacation and sometimes things can happen. Relax, smile and enjoy....you can pick up your bad attitude when you return home.

Love all the replies. Any more suggestions :confused:

Do not pack a bad attitude. Remember you are on vacation and sometimes things can happen. Relax, smile and enjoy....you can pick up your bad attitude when you return home.

Best advice ever!!!

Gwendy

I can't remember who I'm paraphrasing, but if you don't know it to be useful or find it to be beautiful, don't bring it. We end up taking fewer clothes every trip and still take some home unworn. I like taking different formal outfits so I give them suitcase space, but I've learned to take really thin shirts and wash them out. No one has ever commented. And it if is cool, I might wear them twice without washing them out. It does keep the elevators cleared out. :p

And on the last trip on Eclipse we brought 3 suction cup hooks that were great to have for hats, nightgown (outside the closet door), etc.

Layers - thin ones - are good too.

Have fun!

Go on CC and check out all the many lists of the things that you must bring on the cruise. If any of them are in your suitcase, remove them and leave them behind. Virtually all the lists all items you will not need. If you forget something, I am sure that there are stores in most of the places you visit.

DON

The above posters have it all right! The less, the better.

Things I actually bring are :

Highlighter pen to mark the dailies (activities listing).

Books, or Kindle, etc. if you like to read the library is very limited.

COPIES of passport to take on shore,PRN, leave original in the cabin safe.

Plastic floatable money/ID holders (worn around neck) if you plan to swim,etc. at ports. Also available for purchase everywhere.

Snorkle mask if you have/need one ( flippers are too bulky to pack).

Copies of all documents re. insurance, emergency contacts ,cruise info.

Well, to each his own, there will be endless thoughts on this question.

Enjoy your cruise!

No hair dryers, evening purses, or robes! On the list of oddball things to bring, I pack a champagne stopper since we always seem to be in a cabin with a complimentary bottle of champagne. DH doesn't drink, so the champagne stopper lets me enjoy the bottle over a few nights!

A few thoughts

Don't bring more than 3 pairs of shoes, one for evening, one for day at ports, one for pool area.

Don't bother with a purse/pocket book for the evenings unless you need to carry lipstick, stuff. I let my husband carry my cabin key

Don't pack one outfit per day, as others say mix and match

Don't rely on the ship's blow dryer

Don't forget sunscreen/after sun lotion in case you burn

Don't bring all the crazy extras that some suggest (extension cords, power supplies, tape etc etc) While I am not as seasoned a cruiser as some (going on my 8th) we have never needed any of these.

Don't pack all your toiletries. To save the space and weight in our suitcase we tend to pick up any must-haves locally prior to boarding (we usually arrive the day before)

[quote name='Wineart']No hair dryers, evening purses, or robes! On the list of oddball things to bring, I pack a champagne stopper since we always seem to be in a cabin with a complimentary bottle of champagne. DH doesn't drink, so the champagne stopper lets me enjoy the bottle over a few nights![/quote]
If you have a small hairdryer please bring it. Most of the dryers on board are very hot to hold and don't dry your hair!

Agree with almost everyone, I remember our first cruise (DCL, so many years ago) and I had "an outfit" for all 4 of us for every DAY and NIGHT. OMG.

For the days, I have a boarding nice shorts/top that can also be worn if we do buffet at night (or to disembark, although this time we will be returning to frozen tundra so I will wear jeans to/from Miami). During days at sea, a bathing suit + cover-up and one or two tanks/a pair of shorts. For a 4 night cruise that will be plenty!

I do bring an outfit for nighttime but have found that a dress is easy/light to pack and try to coordinate dress/shoes so I don't have more than 2 dressy sandals (for a 7 night), deck shoes and running shoes. I do bring gym clothes but can rinse them out, let them dry between workouts

I do bring the extension cord and hair appliances (blow dryer, curling iron), the cord allows us to recharge all electronics at night (Kindle, camera battery, phones for the night before we leave) and use hair stuff during the day.

Don't bring duct tape (have never used), highlighter (ditto), or water, drinks, wine. We splurged on the Premium beverage package and I intend to get ALL of my drinks (water, soda, coffee, alcohol) on board - that frees up suitcase space!

Archived