Shorts in the MDR

parentsof5

Then people wonder why Carnival has such a bad reputation with some (snobby)people.

The problem is,there is always someone who will push the limit. Shorts are allowed..next thing you know they show up in Ratty shorts and Wife Beater Shirt.

I do not think it is too much to require slacks in the MDR. Fortunately most people dress well when they dine.

I couldn't agree more. IMO Carnival needs to step up and make a concerted effort to keep the dinning room standards in tact. No flip flops that I have seen and the shorts and t-shirts you talk of.

Why the attitude about other people's dress? How does it reduce the enjoyment of your meal?

Does anyone remember the pleasure of making a special occasion memorable by dressing

in your best clothes and dining in a really nice restaurant? That's what cruising used to

be....special. People wore casual clothes during the day, and dressed up a little for

dinner in an MDR with linen tablecloths and napkins, and stemware on the table. Formal

night was a night to look really good. A cruise was something to look forward to and

to remember afterward, a step out of the normal and into the "lifestyles of the rich and

famous". Dressing for dinner whether casual or formal doesn't require a lot of money,

just good taste. Now that Carnival is bent on attracting the Greyhound crowd, good

taste has pretty much gone out the window.

Personally, I don't really care what other passengers wear to the dining line as long as they are clean and well shaven (expect on formal nights because it is designated as such). Carnival is a main stream cruise line that prides itself on value and caters to the average men and women. Some people may feel that by allowing shorts in the MDR it cheapens the whole experience, but then a Carnival cruise was never intended to be an upscale, sophisticated event to begin with. If classy and elegent atmosphere is what you seek, you should be taking Crystal, Silversea or Regent.

Carnival is the Chevrolet of cruise companies, so IMHO I think it is unreasonable to expect otherwise.

Does anyone remember the pleasure of making a special occasion memorable by dressing

in your best clothes and dining in a really nice restaurant? That's what cruising used to

be....special. People wore casual clothes during the day, and dressed up a little for

dinner in an MDR with linen tablecloths and napkins, and stemware on the table. Formal

night was a night to look really good. A cruise was something to look forward to and

to remember afterward, a step out of the normal and into the "lifestyles of the rich and

famous". Dressing for dinner whether casual or formal doesn't require a lot of money,

just good taste. Now that Carnival is bent on attracting the Greyhound crowd, good

This comments reflects a terrible attitude and is an insult to a vast majority of people. If you prefer to dress for dinner and it bothers you to be in a room with people who prefer not to, perhaps you should select another cruise line.

Carnival knows their target market and they are creating cruises for that clientele. Formalwear doesn't make a person any classier.

This comments reflects a terrible attitude and is an insult to a vast majority of people. If you prefer to dress for dinner and it bothers you to be in a room with people who prefer not to, perhaps you should select another cruise line.

Carnival knows their target market and they are creating cruises for that clientele. Formalwear doesn't make a person any classier.

Incorrect. When we go out to dinner, you are our backdrop.

If I want to view bubba, I will go to Red Lobster.

Incorrect. When we go out to dinner, you are our backdrop.

What is incorrect? That was a snobby attitude and Carnival has created cruises that aren't looking for the customer who thinks everyone should dress up. We just fnished an eight day cruise on the Miracle and spent six night in the MDR. Elegant nights I wore a suit and tie, the other four nights I wore either casual pants/linen shorts and a polo shirt. Nobody I was with complained about my dress and I didn't spend my time looking and poo pooing about the other guests. I spent my time enjoy my food and the company I was with.

I am far from bubba and I have never been to a Red Lobster.

He's there, having just finished his second "schooner" of beer and waiting for the calamari to come from the kitchen so as to impress his Uncle Willard that got a chance to come to the big city and eat at a fancy place.

I do see the dress for the majority eroding, and it might be picking up speed. The variables sometimes include the duration and time of year of the cruise.

But... I'm not a Bubba, so I cannot reflect on how one thinks...

Give 'em hell Pete.

Funny, but I saw more shorts in the MDR of our last RCL cruise than on CCL.

Jeans in the dining room do not bother me as they are a staple of dress in Modern America...welcome to the 2000's. We are a casual laid back society now. Most of Corporate America has adopted a more casual approach to attire as well.

He's there, having just finished his second "schooner" of beer and waiting for the calamari to come from the kitchen so as to impress his Uncle Willard that got a chance to come to the big city and eat at a fancy place.

I do see the dress for the majority eroding, and it might be picking up speed. The variables sometimes include the duration and time of year of the cruise.

But... I'm not a Bubba, so I cannot reflect on how one thinks...

Give 'em hell Pete.

Don't need to. They are putting themselves there. :D

After having viewed approximately 1,230,455 threads on dress codes, I have come to the following conclusion-

Whatever you want to wear is fine as long as you describe it as:

• Nice (as in nice jeans, nice flip -flops, not sure who determines whether or not it is 'nice")
  • Dressy (as in dressy undershirt, dressy shorts, again, still not clear on who determines if it is "dressy"
  • Sparkly (for the ladies, as in sparkly top for elegant night)

This is exactly how I feel. I enjoy the "special" atmosphere in the MDR. It's no different then having a dress code at a nice restaurant in your hometown. Seriously, how many of us go to eat somewhere that has linen tablecloths, etc. on a regular basis? Unfortunately, Carnival is allowing it to become a not so special experience. If we all show up more and more casually dressed, thus collectively lowering our expectations, guess what will happen to the quality of food and the service?

Rules are rules. If people don't follow them, then either enforce them or create new rules. I guess if Carnival continues to allow this transition to a not so special MDR experience, perhaps there is another cruise line out there that doesn't.

This is such a loaded subject here on CC, which COMPLETELY baffles me. I don’t understand why what someone else wears to dinner is any reflection on anyone else. Even if you think of these people - as photography back drop.

There are as many reasons for people dressing the way they do – as there are people. Could it be that they spent every extra dime they had to get on the cruise – Maybe. Is it that they dress for work every day and don’t want to – maybe. Is it to get the goat of the woman in a gown – I don’t know, but I really don’t think that was even a thought.

This reminds me of one Christmas I was shopping for my daughter. She wanted an upscale perfume. DH and I own and operate our own business. Christmas season is a nightmare. So leisurely shopping is not what I have the time for – it’s running out after work and getting it done. I went to an upscale store to find it. I was half greeted by the perfume counter girl. I told her what I wanted and she tried to talk me out of it. I finally had to say, look go get me the perfume. She repeatedly tried to talk me out of it. I asked for the manager – he came over. Turns out, she didn’t think I should buy it because I didn’t look like I had enough money. Wellllll, I informed her of my yearly income and told her that she should pull her snotty little nose out of her….well….butt….at that point I realized we were being watched. I looked around at the girls and found the only perfume counter girl that didn’t have too much make up on or looked like she was trying to find a rich husband. (Plus the snicker helped) and gave her a HUGE sale. Did it really make a difference – no. Did I feel better – oh heck yes. My long winded statement is – I guess some people will dress and others won’t. Some people will complain and make themselves look like idiot. Some will go to the MDR in shorts.

When it all gets boiled down – those who judge – will be judged….I’m just hoping I’m not in line behind them

Welcome to bubba's world. Shorts do not belong in MDR.

But the rules allow it....whether people like it or not! The prev poster said follow the rules...

Watching a man in a Tuxedo eat with his mouth wide open and yelling across a table with food in his mouth does not belong in the MDR either.

I believe on Celebrity you can dine on your balcony with linens, fine china and everything - you can wear anything you want...even your Birthday Suit :eek:

Don't worry be happy - you are on a cruise! Why get up tight about what someone else is wearing? :rolleyes:

But no flip flops so stop wearing them bubba. I don't need to see your man feet at dinner.:eek: It also says no swimsuits so stop wearing them as shorts.

I don't need to see women stuffed in dresses they outgrew years ago, looking ever bit like a sausage, but it doesn't impact the taste of my food or the service that I receive.

What I wear under my bathrobe is none of your business and what the hell are you doing looking at my feet, anyway. FYI, sandals ARE allowed. Get a life. :p

This is exactly how I feel. I enjoy the "special" atmosphere in the MDR. It's no different then having a dress code at a nice restaurant in your hometown. Seriously, how many of us go to eat somewhere that has linen tablecloths, etc. on a regular basis? Unfortunately, Carnival is allowing it to become a not so special experience. If we all show up more and more casually dressed, thus collectively lowering our expectations, guess what will happen to the quality of food and the service?

Rules are rules. If people don't follow them, then either enforce them or create new rules. I guess if Carnival continues to allow this transition to a not so special MDR experience, perhaps there is another cruise line out there that doesn't.

The rules allow shorts.

Archived