Shorts in the MDR

parentsof5

I don't need to see women stuffed in dresses they outgrew years ago, looking ever bit like a sausage, but it doesn't impact the taste of my food or the service that I receive.

You should probably try to sail with better looking people, or change your port of embarkation.

I don't need to see women stuffed in dresses they outgrew years ago, looking ever bit like a sausage, but it doesn't impact the taste of my food or the service that I receive.

What I wear under my bathrobe is none of your business and what the hell are you doing looking at my feet, anyway. FYI, sandals ARE allowed. Get a life. :p

From Carnival. No Flip Flops. Do you know the difference between sandals and flip flops. Who said anything about what you wear under your bathrobe.??? Get a life. All people are asking is to follow a few simple guidlines.

Both dress codes for the dining rooms are described below.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

But the rules allow it....whether people like it or not! The prev poster said follow the rules...

Watching a man in a Tuxedo eat with his mouth wide open and yelling across a table with food in his mouth does not belong in the MDR either.

Your right!

shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

If it makes you feel any better, I didn't see any of this last week, except for the guy with the tuxedo t-shirt. Even if I did, I wouldn't get all puckered up because someone wasn't following the guidelines.

But the rules allow it....whether people like it or not! The prev poster said follow the rules...

Watching a man in a Tuxedo eat with his mouth wide open and yelling across a table with food in his mouth does not belong in the MDR either.

This reply as sophomoric as it might be proves my point. Certain things are not acceptable as DEBnGAB stated. It is also not acceptable to stretch the guidlines that say no cutoffs or gym shorts or t-shirts or baseball hats. Like I said earlier in this thread. There are guidlines in place, it is up to passengers to attempt to follow the guidelines as well as it up to the Maitre d and his staff to make sure these simple guidlines are followed. This is not judgemental or snobbish. This is expecting society to be able to follow simple guidelines. Passengers know in advance what is expected.

The guidelines always lag behind society. Carnival is a mass market cruise line and to tap into the vast pool of Americans who have never been on a cruise before, Carnival has to remove artificial barriers.

Most Americans have never been on a cruise and that equates to tons of $$ being spent on alternative vacations instead of Carnival.

The reality is that if Carnival loses 1 customer to gain 100 new ones, oh well.

^^^^ This is a wonderful attitude! :D:D I wanna cruise with this girl. It should be fun for you and other's attire should not make or break your good time.

While it does not ruin my good time if others dont dress properly, frankly it annoys me. There is a certain ambiance that is created when people are dressed up, and I find it enjoyable. If you don't, then perhaps you shouldn't eat in that dining room that evening. At the very least, people can be dressed in good casual clothes. Please, gentlemen, no wife-beaters at the formal dinner. You don't have to wear a tux, or even a jacket & tie -- but maybe a nice shirt? A nice pair of cotton or linen pants? Is that too much to ask?

Wow what a night! Did you get him checked by your doctor? I ended up in the infirmary a couple weeks ago on the Spirit.....took a tumble and they x-rayed and said it was a sprain.....got home and went to my orho doc because it wasn't getting better and found out my wrist was broken:mad:

Now sporting a nice cast up to my elbow:(

I's very sorry for what happened to your son. And I'm sorry people seemed judgmental of your dress that evening.

However, you must admit that your situation is NOT the norm.

I just want to add my own fun....

I plan on dressing up because I love to dress up however.... If I knew ahead of time there were some people that would spend there entire meal checking out my clothing I would wear the following...

1. A pair of truly worn flip-flops. Maybe a pair of dollar foam ones with perhaps a chunk of missing foam. Plastic is a must.

2. My most comfy jeans...these I actually own. They are frayed at the bottoms and have holes in various spots. I think a couple belt loops are missing.

3. A wife-beater for sure!!! But not a brand new fresh one. I will make sure it gets washed with jeans so it has a grungy look.

3 1/2. A bra that can be seen not ony through the tank top but also seen hanging out of the tank top. Maybe the straps will be a little frayed as well.

I would also like to add that I would make sure my pasta sauce or red wine or both 'accidently' spills down the front of me where it will stay throughout the rest of my meal...or until my fans/stalkers get up and leave!

I would notice people underdressed but I would not waste my time stressing about them. Who cares??? I am going to have fun...probably with the people underdressed because I will know they are too uptight to enjoy themselves.

While it does not ruin my good time if others dont dress properly, frankly it annoys me. There is a certain ambiance that is created when people are dressed up, and I find it enjoyable. If you don't, then perhaps you shouldn't eat in that dining room that evening. At the very least, people can be dressed in good casual clothes. Please, gentlemen, no wife-beaters at the formal dinner. You don't have to wear a tux, or even a jacket & tie -- but maybe a nice shirt? A nice pair of cotton or linen pants? Is that too much to ask?

In all of my 6 (I know, not as many as a lot of people on here, but it's still pretty good in the last 6 years) cruises, I have never seen anyone wearing a "wife beater" in the MDR.

Now black shoes with white socks and bermuda shorts any where on the ship...I find that offensive :eek:

The guidelines always lag behind society. Carnival is a mass market cruise line and to tap into the vast pool of Americans who have never been on a cruise before, Carnival has to remove artificial barriers.

Most Americans have never been on a cruise and that equates to tons of $$ being spent on alternative vacations instead of Carnival.

The reality is that if Carnival loses 1 customer to gain 100 new ones, oh well.

Sadly, I believe you're right.

I just want to add my own fun....

I plan on dressing up because I love to dress up however.... If I knew ahead of time there were some people that would spend there entire meal checking out my clothing I would wear the following...

1. A pair of truly worn flip-flops. Maybe a pair of dollar foam ones with perhaps a chunk of missing foam. Plastic is a must.

2. My most comfy jeans...these I actually own. They are frayed at the bottoms and have holes in various spots. I think a couple belt loops are missing.

3. A wife-beater for sure!!! But not a brand new fresh one. I will make sure it gets washed with jeans so it has a grungy look.

3 1/2. A bra that can be seen not ony through the tank top but also seen hanging out of the tank top. Maybe the straps will be a little frayed as well.

I would also like to add that I would make sure my pasta sauce or red wine or both 'accidently' spills down the front of me where it will stay throughout the rest of my meal...or until my fans/stalkers get up and leave!

I would notice people underdressed but I would not waste my time stressing about them. Who cares??? I am going to have fun...probably with the people underdressed because I will know they are too uptight to enjoy themselves.

Most people just dress to compliment their partner, or to impress the people they're cruising with.

I like to think the best thing my wife is wearing on her arm is me.

I saw a teenaged-college aged boy, with his mom and sister(I assume), who had on shorts for elegant night. They told him he had to go change into pants and mommy dearest bitched and moaned(saying they "didn't know and therefore did not pack pants" and "what a shame he'll have to sit in the cabin by himself while we eat...not fair") until the MD came over. We were ahead of them waiting for our table (your-time-dining). As they were leading us to our table, I could see the MD leave with the boy. We were seated and the boy's mom and sister were seated at the table next to us and...what do you know...the MD came in the back entrance with the boy (still in shorts) and seated him with his family. Mom had on a mini skirt and sis had on a legging type outfit. I don't really care what folks wear, but why have rules if you aren't going to enforce them. Seems silly. Fun for me to check out who's wearing what, though.

The "didn't know"? Really??? Have they been living under a rock???

And even if they 'didn't know' -- the rule should have been enforced. They can go eat at the buffet.

This is exactly wrong w/ our present culture. My husband is a retired teacher & I am a retired Guidance Co, and I am so sick of parents not holding their kids responsible for their behavior. And if the mom truly didn't know they had to bring pants ( I guess it's possible), then she should have accepted what the MD said & provided an EXAMPLE to her kids of TAKING RESPONSIBILITY for oneself.

How are our kids supposed to learn that behavior has consequences if we constantly try to wheedle our way out of them ourselves?

This reply as sophomoric as it might be proves my point. Certain things are not acceptable as DEBnGAB stated. It is also not acceptable to stretch the guidlines that say no cutoffs or gym shorts or t-shirts or baseball hats. Like I said earlier in this thread. There are guidlines in place, it is up to passengers to attempt to follow the guidelines as well as it up to the Maitre d and his staff to make sure these simple guidlines are followed. This is not judgemental or snobbish. This is expecting society to be able to follow simple guidelines. Passengers know in advance what is expected.

I'll be sure to only post non-sophomoric things.....:rolleyes:

In all of my 6 (I know, not as many as a lot of people on here, but it's still pretty good in the last 6 years) cruises, I have never seen anyone wearing a "wife beater" in the MDR.

Now black shoes with white socks and bermuda shorts any where on the ship...I find that offensive :eek:

LOL:eek::eek::eek:

If you want to wear shorts every night, perhaps you should choose another type of vacation.

I spent a week in Roatan last summer. The island is still very undeveloped & casual. We ate outdoors on the beach every night. I rarely even wore shoes the entire week -- we'd just literally walk down the beach to an outdoor restaurant. I didn't blow-dry my hair & barely wore make-up. It was great. That's what I was looking for in that vacation.

When I go on a cruise, I choose it partly because I enjoy the dressing up certain nights.

Why?

To those trying to read up and see what's "required" of them, pack, feeling they're "ready", and then finding it was all for naught.

Reminds me of a family cruise. I watched as a cousin of mine was arguing with her kids about dress up night. "Why", followed by an adult trying to rationale with a 9 and 7 year old.

Followed them into the MDR, and there a few "non conformists". I walked away when I saw a family war about to break out.

Of, course, this was back when formal nights were in place.

Ultimately, if it's just a guide, it should say so.

But for restrictions to be ignored, like shorts, jeans, ball caps, and wife beaters on elegant night, it's the beginning of the slippery slope.

thank you, I totally agree

Archived