Shorts in the MDR

parentsof5

Incorrect. When we go out to dinner, you are our backdrop.

If I want to view bubba, I will go to Red Lobster.

And yet you choose to cruise with Carnival who are shipwide pretty much the antithesis of elegant.

I don't like the way shorts or jeans and a T-shirt have come to be considered hillbillywear on these forums. I don't think anyone is in favour of tank tops, backwards baseball caps or ripped jeans, but neat casualwear? When did that become "trashy"?

I'm surprised that some guy wearing a pair of shorts is as shattering to your backdrop as the waiters climbing on the tables dressed as The Village People and singing YMCA anyway. I have no problem of this either, but it highlights the whole vibe of the Carnival MDR - a vibe many of us enjoy.

I am not quite understanding why it makes any difference to anybody what other people wear? I like to dress up on the "elegant nights", as does my husband. Actually, every night we eat in the MDR (which is every night except when we eat at the specialty restaurant) we "dress up". But, it does not make or break my evening if someone were to be seated at a table next to ours wearing short or jeans. Just saying... I dress well because it makes me feel good. I am indifferent to the style preferences of others.

My sentiments exactly! I have two jobs, the part time one as a server at Red Lobster (thought I should add that to this particular thread), and love ANY excuse to have someone else serve me. Anything anybody else says, does, and especially WEARS, can't ruin my relaxation time.

Does anyone remember the pleasure of making a special occasion memorable by dressing

in your best clothes and dining in a really nice restaurant? That's what cruising used to

be....special. People wore casual clothes during the day, and dressed up a little for

dinner in an MDR with linen tablecloths and napkins, and stemware on the table. Formal

night was a night to look really good. A cruise was something to look forward to and

to remember afterward, a step out of the normal and into the "lifestyles of the rich and

famous". Dressing for dinner whether casual or formal doesn't require a lot of money,

just good taste. Now that Carnival is bent on attracting the Greyhound crowd, good

taste has pretty much gone out the window.

But you see, to many of us that sounds like a freakin' nightmare. I don't go cruising so I can feel like Hyacinth Bucket off "Keeping Up Appearances", I go to let me hair down and relax.

I live in Las Vegas where we have a heap of excellent restaurants of all dress codes and in four years here I have never been to one that is even "business casual" because the need to get dressed in fussy or less comfortable clothes subtracts from my enjoyment of the experience. Why would the inclusion of this sort of thing be a positive for me on a cruise? If I wanted this I would book with Cunard or a more upmarket line. I don't agree with people that Carnival is "The Walmart of the Seas" but Blind Freddy could see that it's well toward the bottom of the food-chain when it comes to "elegance".

Doubtless many people feel the same and sail with them for this reason.

Now they advertise jeans allowed in steakhouse.

Coming soon new motto will be cruisin with rednecks.

Why all the hate for jeans? If they aren't faded-out, ripped, dirty etc they are no different from any other pair of trousers and look just as good.

I get it why some people get bent out of shape that either or both (a) the dress code is eroding, or (b) people don't adhere to the already lax dress code. I think there are a lot of people who take cruises because it is a throwback to the image of luxury cruise lines of the early/mid 20th century. They want that experience of elegance. Say what you like about how far Carnival or any other modern mainstream cruise is to that today, but I think that is what some people enjoy about the dinners (and the elegant nights, in particular) on cruise ships. The fact that other people don't meet their same dress standards takes away from their enjoyment of the event, because you can't pretend you're on a luxury cruise if half the passengers around you are dressed for the neighborhood family restaurant.

Personally, I don't get anything out attending an event (such as elegant night) just because some may perceive it to be "classy". It's not something I care about. I have to dress well for work often enough that "dressing up" for dinner seems a lot more like work than it is fun. And I go on vacation for fun and to relax.

That said, I appreciate that there is a dress code and I'll adhere to something near the middle of the code. I do that for social reasons, not because I feel compelled to abide by the cruise "contract" that implicity incorporates the cruise line's policies (including those relating to dress codes).

My personal preference would be for Carnival to convert the look and feel of the MDR from "linens and white glove service" to something more representing a casual steakhouse (i.e., the type of place I'd take my family on a regular vacation). Unfortunately, there are generally no restaurant-style alternatives on Carnival, so you're stuck with either the MDR, or the buffet (or similar self-serve options). So unless Carnival starts offering discounts for opting out of the MDR, I'll take it as the lesser of multiple evils.

In the meantime, I do actually wish the dining room staff would enforce the dress code. Not because I particularly care what other people are wearing, but if I'm following a rule that says I need to meet a particular standard and I take the trouble and accept the discomfort of meeting that standard, then it does annoy me slightly when others choose to pretend those rules don't exist.

I also agree with other posters that part of the problem is our "tipping culture". When empolyees' compensation depends so much on tips, they are more interested in not ticking off individual customers than anything else. The example of the Maitre d' who "snuck in" the underdressed guest is a good one. They're so focussed on the potential tip from the guy they're letting get away without meeting the dress code, that they don't care about the impact on others (including possible loss of tips from the others). We would be much better off on a "fee for service" basis, where passengers pay a fee (i.e., standard cabin charge), are provided with service (cabin, cruise, meals), and are expected to meet appropriate standards of conduct -- no exceptions.

I get it why some people get bent out of shape that either or both (a) the dress code is eroding, or (b) people don't adhere to the already lax dress code. I think there are a lot of people who take cruises because it is a throwback to the image of luxury cruise lines of the early/mid 20th century. They want that experience of elegance. Say what you like about how far Carnival or any other modern mainstream cruise is to that today, but I think that is what some people enjoy about the dinners (and the elegant nights, in particular) on cruise ships. The fact that other people don't meet their same dress standards takes away from their enjoyment of the event, because you can't pretend you're on a luxury cruise if half the passengers around you are dressed for the neighborhood family restaurant.

Personally, I don't get anything out attending an event (such as elegant night) just because some may perceive it to be "classy". It's not something I care about. I have to dress well for work often enough that "dressing up" for dinner seems a lot more like work than it is fun. And I go on vacation for fun and to relax.

That said, I appreciate that there is a dress code and I'll adhere to something near the middle of the code. I do that for social reasons, not because I feel compelled to abide by the cruise "contract" that implicity incorporates the cruise line's policies (including those relating to dress codes).

My personal preference would be for Carnival to convert the look and feel of the MDR from "linens and white glove service" to something more representing a casual steakhouse (i.e., the type of place I'd take my family on a regular vacation). Unfortunately, there are generally no restaurant-style alternatives on Carnival, so you're stuck with either the MDR, or the buffet (or similar self-serve options). So unless Carnival starts offering discounts for opting out of the MDR, I'll take it as the lesser of multiple evils.

In the meantime, I do actually wish the dining room staff would enforce the dress code. Not because I particularly care what other people are wearing, but if I'm following a rule that says I need to meet a particular standard and I take the trouble and accept the discomfort of meeting that standard, then it does annoy me slightly when others choose to pretend those rules don't exist.

I also agree with other posters that part of the problem is our "tipping culture". When empolyees' compensation depends so much on tips, they are more interested in not ticking off individual customers than anything else. The example of the Maitre d' who "snuck in" the underdressed guest is a good one. They're so focussed on the potential tip from the guy they're letting get away without meeting the dress code, that they don't care about the impact on others (including possible loss of tips from the others). We would be much better off on a "fee for service" basis, where passengers pay a fee (i.e., standard cabin charge), are provided with service (cabin, cruise, meals), and are expected to meet appropriate standards of conduct -- no exceptions.

Thank you. You said what I have been trying to say the entire thread. Well done.

Very well said! BTW- I'm the person who posted about the MD sneaking in the boy with shorts (on elegant night)...we did not tip the MD on that cruise.

Anyone who thinks a maitre d' is motivated by tips or the lack thereof, doesn't know many maitre d's.

Expect elegant nights on a 7 night Carnival cruise to go from 2 to 1.

I wouldn't be surprised if Carnival someday offers an extra cost venue where people can act out their fantasy and dress up, but I tend to think it won't be the supper clubs.

I have been going back and forth in my head and also have been patrolling the boards and even pics of the dining room to decide what to carry with me (you wouldn't believe this is my 4th cruise by the way I have been acting in regards to this dress code business). But each time I have gone on a cruise I have been able to bring the appropriate wear. In 2003, the baggage restrictions weren't out of control and in 2009 both times I drove to the port so I could carry as many bags as needed. We are a family of 6 FLYING into port for our next cruise so we are severly limited baggage wise. So I have read the back and forth and I have made a decision that we will wear shorts or jeans in the dining room, if we want, and we will dress to code on elegant night. To be honest, I'm going into the dining room looking like a homeless person. I don't think anybody should be interested in what I am wearing, they should be interested in whether their food came out the way it was ordered.

But I guess, when all is said and done, I will come back to the boards and I will rave about the wonderful time that I had and no one's dress will even be part of my review. While someone else will return to CC and write that they had a horrible time because their food got cold because they were too busy being appalled at Kingisacruiser's family following the dress code by wearing jeans and non cut off shorts in the dining room.

Some people need to just get a life and stop worrying about other people.

For the person who said that the other diners are a backdrop... if you wnat scenery, go look at a painitng in a museum. WTH?!?!

Anyone who thinks a maitre d' is motivated by tips or the lack thereof, doesn't know many maitre d's.

Expect elegant nights on a 7 night Carnival cruise to go from 2 to 1.

I wouldn't be surprised if Carnival someday offers an extra cost venue where people can act out their fantasy and dress up, but I tend to think it won't be the supper clubs.

I know a few. The ones I know are motivated by giving good service, excellent seating, and making sure said guest is kept happy. In return Maitre d recieves recomendations from the guest as well as a nice financial reward and the customers undying loyalty and gratitude. I agree Carnival could do some redecorating to understae the dinning room into more of a Bistro feel. IMO as long as you have the trimmings of a high end restaurant well then you come to expect at least a business casual appearence.

Since everyone is using this thread to vent their opinions - here's mine...

I've seen many posters state that the gentleman will "dress up" by wearing a nice pair of pants (dockers are not 'nice') and a dress shirt and a tie. No jacket.

In my world, the gentleman will look like he didn't finished getting dressed. I was taught to NEVER where a tie without a jacket. The tie accessorizes the jacket, not the shirt!

I just wanted to get that off my chest.

I wear shorts.

And yet you choose to cruise with Carnival who are shipwide pretty much the antithesis of elegant.

I don't like the way shorts or jeans and a T-shirt have come to be considered hillbillywear on these forums. I don't think anyone is in favour of tank tops, backwards baseball caps or ripped jeans, but neat casualwear? When did that become "trashy"?

I'm surprised that some guy wearing a pair of shorts is as shattering to your backdrop as the waiters climbing on the tables dressed as The Village People and singing YMCA anyway. I have no problem of this either, but it highlights the whole vibe of the Carnival MDR - a vibe many of us enjoy.

LOL! Good point!

I know a few. The ones I know are motivated by giving good service, excellent seating, and making sure said guest is kept happy. In return Maitre d recieves recomendations from the guest as well as a nice financial reward and the customers undying loyalty and gratitude. I agree Carnival could do some redecorating to understae the dinning room into more of a Bistro feel. IMO as long as you have the trimmings of a high end restaurant well then you come to expect at least a business casual appearence.

Then you know they are salaried, don't depend on tips, and have no financial need to suck up. While professional enough to try to please everyone, they know they can't. The ones that complain the most complain about everything include the suggested dress code. These are also the ones most likely to stiff on tips.

Anything Joe Farcus touches is the complete opposite of a high end restaurant. Come on - Fried Eggs on the walls?

Designer jeans these days cost way more than a suit off the rack at JC Penney...I really don't see anything "Bubba-ish" about them.

Jump out of the Titanic era and into mainstream. People don't dress ala Leave it to Beaver anymore.

Since this thread is about shorts in the MDR:

I have several pair of knee length capri's black, white, tan, denim do you consider those shorts? Keep in mind that I have worn them to 5 star restaurants... Men wear their shorts at below-the-knee lenth and sometimes longer (Bruce Jenner shorts went out in 1980). My question is this: Why is it accecptable to those of you anti-shorts people for me to wear knee length capri's, but my DH can't wear dressy shorts of the same length? :rolleyes:

Women always dress up more then men and then run back to the room to change into more comfortable clothes. And I thought the "style" of jeans these days are the faded in spots and ripped, and cost $200-$300. I myself would never buy a pair but others do.

It's enough to save to go on a cruise without having to buy a whole new wardrobe. Let alone if you want to do shore excursions. If you have nothing better to do than complain about what others wear then you should seek professional help.

I'm not cruising for you. I'm cruising for me. Unless you'd like to buy my clothes.

(Actually I'm more outfitted than my DH. He will be dressed nice enough).

Like others have said you know what you're getting when you book with Carnival so if you don't like it choose a different line.

To be honest, I'm going into the dining room looking like a homeless person. I don't think anybody should be interested in what I am wearing, they should be interested in whether their food came out the way it was ordered.

But I guess, when all is said and done, I will come back to the boards and I will rave about the wonderful time that I had and no one's dress will even be part of my review. While someone else will return to CC and write that they had a horrible time because their food got cold because they were too busy being appalled at Kingisacruiser's family following the dress code by wearing jeans and non cut off shorts in the dining room.

Some people need to just get a life and stop worrying about other people.

For the person who said that the other diners are a backdrop... if you wnat scenery, go look at a painitng in a museum. WTH?!?!

I can't argue with Carnival's policy. If they say shorts are acceptable, then that's the policy. What bugs me are the people who choose not to follow the policy by wearing items in the MDR that are, per policy, not allowed. I get sick of the people in this world who think the rules don't apply to them.

As far as Carnival's policy allowing shorts in the MDR, I don't like it. I think it detracts from the experience. But I won't criticize others here for wearing shorts since it's the policy or call them (ugly) "backdrop." I also think it's fair that those of us who prefer the nicer clothing don't get criticized either just because it's our preference. Telling us to "get a life" or that we're living in a "fantasy" is disrespectful also.

Designer jeans these days cost way more than a suit off the rack at JC Penney...I really don't see anything "Bubba-ish" about them.

Jump out of the Titanic era and into mainstream. People don't dress ala Leave it to Beaver anymore.

Since this thread is about shorts in the MDR:

I have several pair of knee length capri's black, white, tan, denim do you consider those shorts? Keep in mind that I have worn them to 5 star restaurants... Men wear their shorts at below-the-knee lenth and sometimes longer (Bruce Jenner shorts went out in 1980). My question is this: Why is it accecptable to those of you anti-shorts people for me to wear knee length capri's, but my DH can't wear dressy shorts of the same length? :rolleyes:

Exactly what constitutes fashionable is going to vary depending on who you ask. Although it doesn't damage my enjoyment of my meal, as an Australian I always chuckle at the tackiness of it when I see women wearing ugg boots ANYWHERE around the ship. For some reason these are considered high fashion in the USA (ever since the ridiculous situation arose where an American company trademarked the term "Ugg Boots", despite the fact taht it's been used generically in Australia for going on a century, and aggressively pursued any company that called their products "ugg boots" - thankfully the courts in Australia and New Zealand at least have stricken the term from the register there on the grounds that you can't trademark a generic term, but this is another rant anyway) but back home where they come from they are somewhere between crocs and flip flops - basically, they are big slippers and wearing them out in public would be like going out in a dressing gown. They aren't called "ugly boots" for nothing. lol

Someone else pointed out that wearing a tie without a jacket could be viewed as a faux pas. I found out a few weeks ago that wearing brown and black in the same outfit is apparently a bad thing - There's all sorts of arbitrary ideas of what is trendy, smart, looks good etc and we're never all going to agree anyway, even if the issue of COMFORT wasn't the main driving motivation of most people when considering what to wear - I know it is for me.

that we're living in a "fantasy" is disrespectful also.

Don't blame me - blame Uncle Bob. He stated that mainline cruise lines are selling illusions in his book, $elling the $ea. They all do. What you see in the brochures ain't what you see on the ships. PT Barnum was right.

51oGKVUSrsL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Selling-Sea-Inside-Cruise-Industry/dp/0471749184/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294786484&sr=8-1

Don't blame me - blame Uncle Bob. He stated that mainline cruise lines are selling illusions in his book, $elling the $ea. They all do. What you see in the brochures ain't what you see on the ships. PT Barnum was right.

51oGKVUSrsL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Selling-Sea-Inside-Cruise-Industry/dp/0471749184/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294786484&sr=8-1

Blah, blah, blah.

The guidelines always lag behind society. Carnival is a mass market cruise line and to tap into the vast pool of Americans who have never been on a cruise before, Carnival has to remove artificial barriers.

Most Americans have never been on a cruise and that equates to tons of $$ being spent on alternative vacations instead of Carnival.

The reality is that if Carnival loses 1 customer to gain 100 new ones, oh well.

But why would anyone want to be the worst dressed person in the room? Or even try for the title?

I don't care what others wear, but don't they care? Do they care about looking nice for the people they ARE with, even if they don't care about other's opinions? I know my husband appreciates when I look my best, and I certainly appreciate when he takes the time to look great for me. It reminds me of a story about a woman who wore her hair in curlers to go out to dinner with her husband. If not look good then.....when?

(a little secret for the men out there....looking your best is like female ******...it might not mean that you do without, but when you go above and beyond.....we usually do too.)

But why would anyone want to be the worst dressed person in the room? Or even try for the title?

That is a matter of opinion and extremely judgmental on the part of the fashion police. It has already been established that they have no authority.

Another little secret. There are lots of land-locked women willing to take trade places, many of whom are probably younger, better looking, less judgmental, and less of a nag. Also less expensive to dispose of.

That is a matter of opinion and extremely judgmental on the part of the fashion police. It has already been established that they have no authority.

Another little secret. There are lots of land-locked women willing to take trade places, many of whom are probably younger, better looking, less judgmental, and less of a nag. Also less expensive to dispose of.

Haha.....Great answer. I would be VERY expensive to dispose of, but at the same time why would an adult man need to be told how to dress? I am not his mother. He wants to look good, thank goodness. That doesn't mean wearing a suit, or tux, and he looks great in jeans and shorts or nothing at all, but wanting to wear even less than the dress code on elegant nights just because......well that seems selfish to me, not comfortable. Heck my most comfortable things in the world to wear are flannel PJ bottoms and a T-shirt, but I don't wear them to Walmart, even though many others do, and rarely wear them around the house unless I am sick because I respect myself, him and my kids more than that. Serious question......you don't need the right woman to wear lingere to bed or under her clothes, but don't you appreciate the effort? Isn't dressing up for your dining companion the same thing?

Archived