Shorts in the MDR

parentsof5

just curious. of those 5 days. do you wear the same clothes over and over? do you change ? why?

You know if I want to wear the same thing over and over I will do so. If I choose to change I will. I do not make my decision because someone else thinks I should. I have been on 5 cruises one of which was a 14 day cruise to Hawaii, and I did not offend anyone with what I wore to the MDR, and yes I wore my dressy shorts along with several other people. Oh, by the way that was not a Carnival cruise, it was on Princess.....

Its me its me its ernest t.they need to name a mdr the ernest t bass dr.what makes me wonder as a man,is when i see most of the ladies dressed to kill,sitting with piggy looking men.ill wear a suit on formal night,if its still ok.its really not all that hard to tie a tie.its so cold in the newer ships dining rooms, it feels good to wear a coat.there is always the lido if one likes a wendy's,or the special at the mayberry diner.

Its me its me its ernest t.they need to name a mdr the ernest t bass dr.what makes me wonder as a man,is when i see most of the ladies dressed to kill,sitting with piggy looking men.ill wear a suit on formal night,if its still ok.its really not all that hard to tie a tie.its so cold in the newer ships dining rooms, it feels good to wear a coat.there is always the lido if one likes a wendy's,or the special at the mayberry diner.

I wish they had a Wendys on board:D

Well, to be fair, people are only following Carnival's dress code and have no need to "Go to the Lido" - more appropriately it should be "If you want Cunard's MDR, there's always Cunard".

and Cunard's fuel supplement....

About Cunard

Fuel Supplement

Cunard is currently assessing a fuel supplement of $6.00 per person, per day (up to a maximum of $200 per person). This supplement applies to new bookings made on or after 31 December 2010 for voyages departing on or after 14 April 2011.

The supplement applies to each paying guest travelling, including 3rd and 4th person fares and paid children's accommodations.

This fuel supplement amount is subject to change even after a booking is paid in full.

Updated: 27 December 2010

HI, I am new to this forum and to Carnival. Reading this thread with amusement as DH and I had the "dress code" discussion during our quest to choose a cruise.

We dress up EVERY night, be it casual, formal, informal, whatever...its our CHOICE to dress up.. BUT equally so..it is the CHOICE of others to dress down unless there is a policy on board (i dont know the wording of Carnivals formal night policy), in which case, it would be just simply bad manners, not to dress appropriately.

In saying that, I personally dont really care if someone shows up in whatever..the only objection I have in a dining room is barefeet, vest tops and beach flip flops... I dont really wanna look at hairy toes and hairy armpits (its even worse when on men!)..

If i were in my exquisite elegant dress, and stood next to someone in jeans, shorts etc, would it stop me chatting etc..no way...

Likewise, I guess at times I do get kinda fed up when folks say to DH and I, on a casual night "Hey, you guys getting married or something?". "Whats the occasion?".. No occasion, we just LIKE dressing up..

We are self employed and live in the same black dreary clothes day in day out, when we go on vacation we get to wear all our finery, and do so as it makes US feel good. MY DH actually notices me:rolleyes:

Likewise, I understand the guy in the city, who has to wear tailored suits every day of life, wanting nothing more than to dawn a pair of dress shorts and an easy shirt, as thats HIS idea of vacation.

As long as folks are clean, pleasant, and have a smile for me..that'll do for us..

And do not kid yourself that on lines such as Celebrity (of which I have cruises many times) that its any different. In any mass vacation environment one will meet all walks of life.. some will want and enjoy casual, some will like and enjoy getting dressed to the nines. Thats just life..

Don't judge a book by its cover. Just because I might be dressed in head to toe in glitz and glitter do not take me for a snob, and just because you might be dressed in shorts, tees and whatever, I wont take you for a slob.

Try it..try getting to know your opposite, you might just find if you get over "the books cover", inside you might just find chapters you want to read more of:)

• 3 weeks later...

Our experience on the Conquest, and what I soon expect to be relatively the same experience on the Ecstasy... is that people do not dress to the nines in the MDR, but usually dress nicely. Now, with that being said- my husband and I dress up most nights. Evening gowns and tux on elegant nights and sports jacket and cocktail dresses on others. We ate by ourselves most nights in the MDR. It was about 50% full on the later days, and empty almost on port days because people were exhausted from their excursions. BTW, my husband does not like to "dress up" but he enjoys seeing that we can still put on the ritz every now and then. Now, if Bubba sat down across from me, we'd have a fine time- since he's probably be more uncomfortable with my attire than I with his. So, as I sit here in my yoga pants and fleece v-neck sweater typing- I look forward to reminding my husband about the wisdom of his choices 33 years ago when I walk out of our room on his arm and heads turn. And don't bother to knock that unless you have been married that long, thank you. That's still a very nice feeling for this old gal from her college sweetheart.

I recently saw an interview with the late Tony Curtis on TMC about Carey Grant, and he said that he enjoyed mimicking his accent in Some Like It Hot, working with him on Operation Petticoat, and held him in the highest regard. He said "He taught us (men) how to not be slobs". As a woman, I appreciate a well-dressed man. Now, is that a fantasy on Carnival? Maybe it is for you, but it's not for me... my husband still looks darn good in his nice clothes. Looks good in jeans too- but doesn't feel the need to be passive aggressive when asked to dress up. As a woman in this informal, workaday world, I welcome the chance to embrace a little glamour.

I have done my time in the military and was spit shined at oh-dark-30 everyday. College, 23 years in Banking at a level that required quality fashion daily. I have owned my own business and survived under fire. I will wear what I feel is appropriate and if there is a problem with it, A big BITE ME is in order. My next suit with be buried with me!

My opinion is that if you are in the MDR (fancy food), you should wear slacks and a nice shirt. It's just like going to a 4 or 5-star restaurant. They manke you dress nice, as their dress code calls for it.

If you don't want to dress up, go to the buffet.

I enjoy dressing up to go to the MDR because it's not something you get to do every single day. The food is really nice, the wait staff is usually beyond compare, and it's in a nice, well-decorated setting. Kind of like a 4 or 5-star restaurant.

If you want to dress like you are going to Shoneys or Golden Corral, I say hit the buffet line. Or the pizzeria on Lido.

This is just my humble opinion.

I am not quite understanding why it makes any difference to anybody what other people wear? I like to dress up on the "elegant nights", as does my husband. Actually, every night we eat in the MDR (which is every night except when we eat at the specialty restaurant) we "dress up". But, it does not make or break my evening if someone were to be seated at a table next to ours wearing short or jeans. Just saying... I dress well because it makes me feel good. I am indifferent to the style preferences of others.

I agree 100%. We also dress "according to code" but what other people wear does not affect our cruise experience at all.

I agree 100%. We also dress "according to code" but what other people wear does not affect our cruise experience at all.

in a world where people generally dress for others (or we`d all be naked) they are simply telling you what they think of you.

A dress code is entirely subjective. I saw a guy in khaki shorts and polo shirt who looked a lot nicer than a woman in a "elegant" dress. And speaking of formal dress, I saw some women dressed in such an "elegant" manner, that I had to wonder if they were on a "working" vacation. Those were the ones that stood out instead of the ones wearing jeans. Oh, and the guy who was dressed like a walking tribute to Dale Earnhardt.

As long as it is clean, not ratty, not whorish, and not worn on Jerry Springer, I don't care. In the end, I still get my warm chocolate melting cake. I don't need to create the illusion that I am dining with the elite. If you smell bad, I may have something to say, however.:eek:

I get a kick out of people pretending not to be judgmental with statements like “I don’t care what others wear as long as…”

I will dress as I choose. I don’t really care if you don’t like my faded jeans or t-shirt with the picture of a scantily clad woman sitting in a martini glass. You can dress as you choose. I won’t make judgments about your leopard skin pantsuit. If I unintentionally break Carnival’s rules, I will suffer the consequences.

I go on cruises to celebrate life and to enjoy time with my wife. With a little luck I will make a few new friends. If I do it will be because they like me for who I am not for who I am pretending to be.

Yes you will see shorts and flip flops all week. Now they advertise jeans allowed in steakhouse.

Coming soon new motto will be cruisin with rednecks.

Interestingly enough....the deal on shorts says "dress shorts" which nobody pays attention to. Dress shorts are similar to Bermuda shorts, well tailored and pressed. Usually with a belt. NOT baggy-butt cargo shorts or others with a crotch to the knees. Dress shorts also don't go with flip-flops, for sure....

And, could you please cite the source about the Steakhouse? Just returned from Pride 1/16 and dress code was cruise elegant....

A dress code is entirely subjective. I saw a guy in khaki shorts and polo shirt who looked a lot nicer than a woman in a "elegant" dress. And speaking of formal dress, I saw some women dressed in such an "elegant" manner, that I had to wonder if they were on a "working" vacation. Those were the ones that stood out instead of the ones wearing jeans. Oh, and the guy who was dressed like a walking tribute to Dale Earnhardt.

Incorrect. It is not the dress code that is subjective, it is your tastes in style that are subjective. I many disagree and think the lady in the elegant gown looked nicer than the guy in shorts as my tastes are different than yours (and the sex of the person looking and the sex of the person being looked at may have something to do with it too). But the dress code is clear cut, precise (with the possible exception of "long" shorts....who thought that one up) and should be followed immaterial of what one's tastes are.

As long as it is clean, not ratty, not whorish, and not worn on Jerry Springer, I don't care. In the end, I still get my warm chocolate melting cake. I don't need to create the illusion that I am dining with the elite. If you smell bad, I may have something to say, however.:eek:

That is your dress code, Carnival's dress code is somewhat different. When I am in your home, I will abide by your dress code....when I'm in Carnival's home, I will abide by theirs.

BTW - There is no "Shower Code" so you really can't say anything about the smell!

Archived