Millenium Internet

digital_curator

Leaving tomorrow for a Millenium cruise that leaves out of SJ and just found out about multiple things going wrong at work! So, I trying to figure out if I should take a laptop or just use the ship's computers.

Can anyone tell me about:

1. The speed of the ship's computers vs. one's own computer on the ship.

2. Celebrity's internet packages.

3. If Select members get any free minutes, as Platinum do on RCI.

Cheers,

Internet speed is e x t r e a m l y s l o w!!!!!

Remember way back when you thought your dial up modem was slow? Yes that slow most of the time...assuming there is any service at all.

On some cruises the wifi network seemed to be faster than the computers in the computer cafe and sometimes it was the other way around, no hard fast rules on this. I guess it depends on network traffic within the ship.

Time is $0.65 min without packages, and I know there is a package of 90 minutes for $50 as well as some larger packages at lower per minute costs.

Elite members (top tier) get the 90 minute package free or a $50 credit towards a larger package. I don't know about select.

Leaving tomorrow for a Millenium cruise that leaves out of SJ and just found out about multiple things going wrong at work! So, I trying to figure out if I should take a laptop or just use the ship's computers.

Can anyone tell me about:

1. The speed of the ship's computers vs. one's own computer on the ship.

2. Celebrity's internet packages.

3. If Select members get any free minutes, as Platinum do on RCI.

Cheers,

Hi Digital Curator !

Larry answered your question perfectly, so I will chime in on your Select Benefit question. You will not be offered free minutes, but you will receive a 25% discount off Celebrity's packages, so it will help.

Have a great Cruise on Millennium !

..... trying to figure out if I should take a laptop or just use the ship's computers.
Much depends on how you will use it. You can save a lot of connect time with your own laptop if you download whatever you want to access and do your reading and writing offline. It's also good for backing up photos and keeping a journal as you go along.

We like having the convenience of our own personalized settings and our own bookmarks and files so we bring along our netbook. Everything we need for our trip is on it (flights, rental cars, cruise documents, hotel reservations, info for each port, contact info, reminders).

We were on the Millennium in mid December. We had lots of port stops. Just about all of them had free internet-we paid once in Aruba $3 for the hour. Speed at least double or triple what you would get on ship. At one stop we had free wifi on our balcony.

Thanks everyone! It will mostly be email so I think I will skip the hassle of taking a computer and follow iancal & cl. klink's advice and hunt down somewhere in port.

If all goes well, I might even get it sorted before I leave tomorrow (though the clock is ticking and I doubt it).:p

Cheers,

Archived