Seattle pier

GORDONCHICK

We will be taking our 1st HAL cruise in May. We will be doing the RT to Alaska on the Oosterdam. Can someone tell me which pier HAL uses? X used Pier 66 when we were in Seattle in 2007, but I think HAL uses one more downtown?

A quick search using the search function found the answer: Pier 91

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1333344&highlight=seattle+pier

Pier 91 is still very much in central Seattle, but it's not on the downtown waterfront, and it's not close to Pier 66. Pier 91 is in the Magnolia neighborhood, right next to the Magnolia bridge, north of downtown.

This is not accurate. I work downtown and can see it from here (with apologies to Tina Fey).

Yes, it's not in the central downtown area, but I would guess it's MAYBE a three or four mile taxi ride north of downtown.....hardly "out of town".

I went out of pier 91 last year and liked it very much. it is just North of Downtown. I stayed at the Renaissance in Seattle when I was in for Archbishop Sartain's installation in December and liked it very much. I got a ride on the Airporter for $15.00 and I think I could get a cab from there to Pier 91 at a good rate. Hope to be there in July and might even stop in to see Archbishop Sartain if he is back from Rome. Seattle is a great place and I do like it.

We were among the first to use Pier 91 when she opened in 2009. We were not impressed with the set up porters and taxis and pick-up for the limos.

We will be there again this June -- sure hope things have improved.

Where we live -- 3 or 4 miles -- is considered a few miles from anyplace.

I guess what I take issue was the "out of town"....you make it sound like it's in another county :). It's definately in the city limits and there is actually a great park that connects here(downtown) and there. It's a great jog/hike along the waterfront. Too far to drag luggage, but a nice walk :).

We were among the first to use Pier 91 when she opened in 2009. We were not impressed with the set up porters and taxis and pick-up for the limos.

KK - Don't worry me! :eek: Can you expand on your comment? DH and I do not do well hauling around our luggage. We need a porter as soon as we depart a taxi. What can we expect in Seattle upon arrival at the Pier? How about disembarkation - getting our luggage and a taxi?

Thanks a bunch!

I had a few photos of pier 91. Thought you might like to picture it before you arrive.

Also, I put pier 66 and pier 91 in google maps and came up with a great graphic. It showed the cruise ship at pier 66 down in the bottom right corner and the Holland America and Princess at the top left, but I can't figure out how to get it to show up here. Can anyone tell me how to do it?

Distance is 2.7 miles, 9 minutes driving.

2438014990104013758S500x500Q85.jpg

2513847410104013758S500x500Q85.jpg

DH and I do not do well hauling around our luggage. We need a porter as soon as we depart a taxi. What can we expect in Seattle upon arrival at the Pier?

No need to concern yourself -

There will be plenty of porters, taxis and other assistance - both coming and going.

If you have any trouble at the Seattle pier for embarcation, just look for a tall, good-looking, beefy, friendly fellow named Dano behind the counter and tell him you're a friend of mine...

...he'll help you out.

(Just don't forget your passport!)

;)

There will be plenty of porters, taxis and other assistance - both coming and going.

If you have any trouble at the Seattle pier for embarcation, just look for a tall, good-looking, beefy, friendly fellow named Dano behind the counter and tell him you're a friend of mine...

...he'll help you out.

(Just don't forget your passport!) ;)

Thanks Brian. I probably should have said "I don't do well hauling around luggage ... therefore DH has to do it all :(" ... but I feel better with your assurances! :)

When the new cruise ship dock opened up from what I heard, from folks such as KK as well as local folks, there were problems, not uncommon to a brand new facility. I left from Pier 91 in late August 2009, several months after it opened, and had no problems or complaints at all. Things seemed to be in fine working order.

From the main waterfront in Seattle you can see Pier 91 and "as the crow flies" it is probably under 1 mile. However, without a boat or wings you cannot go "as the crow flies". However, people unencumbered with luggage frequently walk between the two places on trails as someone else noted above. Unfortunately the driving route is longer and more complicated. Initially this also led to problems until Seattle cab drivers learned the route. It is not in a area they frequented before Pier opened up.

We had 4 pieces of luggage, 2 carryons, purse, backpack -- there were only 4 porters for a lot of us!!

The porters told us to lug our own luggage out to the limo area -- no way could we do that!! DH has had a heart attack.

I am worried about this summer dropping off luggage at the beginning of the cruise and getting help at the end of the cruise. Since that last time both of us have experienced more health problems.

We are considering cancelling this cruise if there are not a lot of porters to help us out.

We had 4 pieces of luggage, 2 carryons, purse, backpack -- there were only 4 porters for a lot of us!!

The porters told us to lug our own luggage out to the limo area -- no way could we do that!! DH has had a heart attack.

I am worried about this summer dropping off luggage at the beginning of the cruise and getting help at the end of the cruise. Since that last time both of us have experienced more health problems.

We are considering cancelling this cruise if there are not a lot of porters to help us out.

I'm told that there's tons of support out there these days.

Remember that it was never a HAL issue, but a City issue - and that the other lines use this pier too, for ships that are much larger than the HAL ships.

When we sailed last Sept. there were plenty of porters and cabs, coming and going. We arrived around 11:00 and the place was busy, but nicely organized. Buses and cabs unloaded in different areas so there were no traffic jams at all. A porter quickly told us he would get our bags right after he loaded the ones from the cab in front of us and that's just what he did.

For departure, we left the Zaandam rather later and had no delays.

On another day, I posted that I was handicapped and several posters recommended that I request a wheelchair. I have heart problems too: pacemaker; 4 bypasses; two stents; and much medication to get around. I usually have to have a wheelchair in large airports too. Several recommended using a cane to prove the handicap to sceptical staff. Don't know if that is really needed for me.

Well, Seattle is a big city, so 3 or 4 miles is no great distance, particularly when you consider that down town alone stretches all the way down to Sodo where the baseball stadium is (though you can see Sodo from the pier). You get great close up views of downtown Seattle from the deck of the ship while you're waiting to castoff. If you're lucky to get a very clear day you should be able to see Mt. Rainier as well.

When I sailed with my family in summer 2010, it was easy to find porters and there were plenty of taxis and limos, even with two ships in port (our HAL ship and a much, much larger Princess ship) both of which were disembarking at the same time. One of the reasons for moving the cruise terminal was to find a space with better traffic flow to handle all of the transportation needs of major ships. We had a ton of baggage, and it was simple to find a porter both getting on the ship and getting off of it. One complaint was that the porter we had when disembarking was a little careless and let some of our bags fall off the cart. He picked them up again, but some of the stuff on top was fragile and we had asked him to take especial care. It all ended well though, and I guess that anybody can make a mistake when it comes to carrying.

• 4 weeks later...

We are sailing in and out of Pier 91 in August. We are arriving a couple of days before the cruise (staying downtown) and an extra day after but staying near the airport. Can anyone tell me how much (approximately) it will cost for a taxi/towncar for 5 of us

-from downtown to the port?

-from the port to the airport hotel?

Thanks for your help!

We are sailing in and out of Pier 91 in August. We are arriving a couple of days before the cruise (staying downtown) and an extra day after but staying near the airport. Can anyone tell me how much (approximately) it will cost for a taxi/towncar for 5 of us

Thanks for your help!

Last Sept. several of the car services were charging $45 flat rate from airport to downtown. The car service we used required us to call him after we claimed our bags, then he drove over from the cell wait lot. If going again I would probably just get a cab from the airport.

We paid about $20 plus tip for cab from downtown Sheraton to pier 91 and similar fair on return. Cabs are easy to get from any of the big hotels but you'll probably need 2 cabs for 5 plus luggage.

Thanks for your help!

Check with AlreadyThereTown Car and see if they have a fan.

5 people and luggage will not fit in a regular towncar or one taxi.

Also, I put pier 66 and pier 91 in google maps and came up with a great graphic. It showed the cruise ship at pier 66 down in the bottom right corner and the Holland America and Princess at the top left, but I can't figure out how to get it to show up here. Can anyone tell me how to do it?

I don't know what graphic you're referring to so I also googled the piers then used PSP to cut a screen print showing (hope I got it right - at least it should be close):

(A) Pier 66

(B) HAL hdqtrs (300 Elliott West)

© Pier 91

http://www.bcdenterprises.net/SeattlePierMap.jpg

Archived