Maasdam Deck One Ocean View Opinion?

SFO Peter

Hi Everyone,

Getting ready to book a long cruise with Maasdam. Does anyone have any opinions about Ocean View on Deck One regarding noise? I just came off the Amsterdam Deck two this January and could hear people walking on the "lower promenade" deck over my ocean view room. A little engine noise is o.k.

Sure appreciate all the good advice on this board. Thanks

I think "Deck 1" is the keel ... ;)

If you're referring to A Deck, you'll notice vibration in the stern.

Those are the only engine issues I've noticed in an aft cabin.

And be prepared to experience the thrusters back there.

You won't need a wake up call in the early morning ... the cabin will shake you out of bed. :D

I've had an oceanview E (like rkacruiser's cabin 740) and think those and the EE's are very nice, very quiet. I'm not a fan of the FF cabins, especially (as Vic points out) the aft FF.

I'll pick an inside cabin over those aft oceanview FF's any day.

So, depends on category.

I've had an oceanview E (like rkacruiser's cabin 740) and think those and the EE's are very nice, very quiet. I'm not a fan of the FF cabins, especially (as Vic points out) the aft FF.

I'll pick an inside cabin over those aft oceanview FF's any day.

So, depends on category.

I had 844 (I think) on Veendam many moons ago.

It was the only cabin left, so I gave it a try.

Now I know to avoid it in the future. :D

We were on the A deck on our last Maasdam cruise. I sleep so well abroad a ship that the engine noises never bothered me

In all honesty, I LOVE the vibrations, and motion of a ship. (Why bother going if one doesn't like that, right?)

It's just that those darn stern thrusters literally gave me a rude awakening. LOL ;) :D

I had 844 (I think) on Veendam many moons ago.

It was the only cabin left, so I gave it a try.

Now I know to avoid it in the future. :D

We have 3 insides on the Veendam booked for June. They are on the main deck k category - 2 sideways cabins 548, 549 and 536. Thanks to all the wonderful advice here I think we are saving a ton of money by booking insides and getting rather spacious rooms as well. :D as long as the a/c is working we'll be happy. :rolleyes:

Diane

The kitchen on the Maasdam is on Deck 7 and there are passenger cabins directly below that get a lot of noise from it.

Do you mean promenade deck, which is deck 4? Lower prom cabins between midship and the aft elevators are under the galley, I believe.

Do you mean promenade deck, which is deck 4?

Patricia, Promenade Deck is Deck 4 on the R-class ships, but was numbered differently on the S-class ships. You have to add 3 to all decks from Main Deck up to get the comparative number on the S-class. The decks below Main Deck also have different names. :rolleyes:

Why HAL couldn't have been consistent on this, I'll never understand! I do know it's a pain when people post a deck number and I have to do the math to figure out where they're talking about.

Patricia, Promenade Deck is Deck 4 on the R-class ships, but was numbered differently on the S-class ships. You have to add 3 to all decks from Main Deck up to get the comparative number on the S-class. The decks below Main Deck also have different names. :rolleyes:

Why HAL couldn't have been consistent on this, I'll never understand! I do know it's a pain when people post a deck number and I have to do the math to figure out where they're talking about.

Know what you mean.

I wonder where, and how, do some get "Deck 4"; "Deck 7"; and so on ... from? LOL ;)

I am new to Holland and Maasdam. On a 24 night coming up and have FF834. I was hoping to get an upsell, but it appears the 14 night first portion of this cruise is out of them. Probably stuck in FF. I chose that category because it seemed that any oceans above the FF category were not in too bad of a location. Any thoughts? Sailing is in early March. Should I call the paid upgrade line and get out of FF? or wait it out.

Thanks Ruth (and Vic). I don't pay any attention - obviously - to those elevator button numbers.....I only know the deck names.

Davacruiser....how much of an "ouch !$!" is it to get out of the FF and what's the alternative?

If you paid $2800 pp for your FF (the current price I'm seeing) you might be able to get an E on Main deck for only $50 pp, the current price difference. Cabin 651 is showing open for the whole 24 days.

Thanks Ruth (and Vic). I don't pay any attention - obviously - to those elevator button numbers.....I only know the deck names.

Davacruiser....how much of an "ouch !$!" is it to get out of the FF and what's the alternative?

If you paid $2800 pp for your FF (the current price I'm seeing) you might be able to get an E on Main deck for only $50 pp, the current price difference. Cabin 651 is showing open for the whole 24 days.

We chose rooms on the main deck on the Veendam, I believe the deck layouts are very similar if not the same as the Maasam, to avoid the possible noise issues on the lower deck (where the FF rooms are located). Based on reviews and comments I have read here I would consider moving up a deck to the main deck if you think you might be bothered by the noise.

Diane

I was on the Maasdam in late December. We had cabin 818, Dolphin Deck (A), which was port side stern. There was a little engine noise, but not enough to bother. You do hear the thrusters when docking. We usually go for a cabin on the same deck near the bow where there isn't any engine noise, but you can still hear the thrusters. If you go up one deck, you are right under the Prominade and will get some noise in the morning when they clean that deck and the passangers start walking on it. I wouldn't bother to upgrade.

Jeff

Same here, Patricia. When someone mentions a deck by number, I have to translate into name. Trouble is my "primary language" is R-class ships, so with S-class ships I have to do a double translation, then do the math!

I am new to Holland and Maasdam. On a 24 night coming up and have FF834. I was hoping to get an upsell, but it appears the 14 night first portion of this cruise is out of them. Probably stuck in FF. I chose that category because it seemed that any oceans above the FF category were not in too bad of a location. Any thoughts? Sailing is in early March. Should I call the paid upgrade line and get out of FF? or wait it out.

I am sailing in mid March in a cabin right above that. I have sailed the Maasdam before and I would say that their inside cabins are slightly larger than other lines. Also, that is a quiet location. I know that the deck above has access to a "private" balcony off the back. I don't know if your deck does but it is quite nice for the cabins at the aft end on the main deck. I never see any advantage to an ocean view upgrade. It needs to be a balcony upgrade or I will just slog it out in the inside cabin. Good luck and let us know how the cabin works out for you

• 2 weeks later...

davacruiser, while there are E's on Main deck, I was referring to the E's on Maasdam's A deck, the same deck as the FF cabins. I just prefer the midship cabins, as they are quieter. Ditto the EE's, which are fore and aft of the E's.

There are often engine noise/vibration complaints about the aft FF's. You've said "A little engine noise is o.k." So, you're savvy enough to know what to expect. However, you also mentioned it's a long cruise. If it's a long time off (not yet final payment date), you may want to monitor prices, and see if you get a chance to move up a category or 2, to insure less/no noise.

Sometimes the difference between a FF and an EE is huge. Sometimes, there's a sale, and EE or E suddenly cost less than FF.

Your agent should be able to "refare" you, or, failing that, cancel and rebook. The problem with rebooking is you can lose your dining preference/priority.

There's been a long recent discussion on the pros and cons of various cabin categories on Zaandam (which is similar but not identical to Maasdam):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1342159

Thanks for the info. Yes it is final payment time long gone. I inquired about going from my FF to E, but it would be $542 more. That pays for a lot of shore excursions, etc., so I think we will just hope for the best and maybe ask for an upgrade on boarding.

Archived