Touring NYC with a family

It's looking like a good possibility that we may be cruising out of NYC this summer. I have been there 3 times previously, so been there done that. However, my DH has never been there so I would like for him to get to see the major sites. Our DS will be 3 at the time we cruise. We would probably be there a full day before cruising.

My question is do you think (keeping the toddler in mind) that we'd be better off picking the sites we especially want to visit and do them on our own using subway, etc. or would we do better to use a sightseeing company? I have always done it on my own in NYC but wondered if a set tour might work better in this case...packing lots in and not having to worry about navigating ourselves.

Thoughts?

It's looking like a good possibility that we may be cruising out of NYC this summer. I have been there 3 times previously, so been there done that. However, my DH has never been there so I would like for him to get to see the major sites. Our DS will be 3 at the time we cruise. We would probably be there a full day before cruising.

My question is do you think (keeping the toddler in mind) that we'd be better off picking the sites we especially want to visit and do them on our own using subway, etc. or would we do better to use a sightseeing company? I have always done it on my own in NYC but wondered if a set tour might work better in this case...packing lots in and not having to worry about navigating ourselves.

Thoughts?

I took some Welsh people on the HOHO(hop on hop off) bus and really enjoyed the flexibility of getting off to see something and then getting back on another bus to see something else. If you get off occasionally your toddler wouldn't be too bored and might enjoy being on the top level open air and looking at all the buildings. We did have to wait for several buses near Battery Park to get one that had room but it seemed like a minor inconvenience as they showed up fairly quickly. If your son got tired you can stay on the bus and listen to the comentary while he naps.

Thoughts?

Honestly Manhattan is such an assault on your senses that your three year old really will not care what you are doing there is so much to see, hear, smell, etc.

I highly recommend getting or using an umbrella stroller as they are the easiest for subway, cab, bus.

I would also recommend a hotel in Manhattan as opposed to the outer burroughs because when he gets tired and wants to go down for a nap, you will not have to schlep him a ways on public transportation.

The NY Salisbury has large rooms and suites reasonably priced and each has a kitchenette.

Not sure what you mean by 'been there done that' after three trips but even after living and working in Manhattan I've not scratched the surface.

Your toddler would probably enjoy the Staten Island Ferry and the views of the Statue of Liberty and lower Manhattan and the Brooklyn Bridge are stunning. Especially at dusk.

By been there done that, I meant the typcial touristy things (the things I'd be most likely to suggest for a 1 day visit for a first time visitor). I could spend a LOT of time there and find all sorts of new stuff I'm sure! I LOVE NY!

Some good things to think about for sure! Thanks for your thoughts.

Archived