MDR Ordering

parentsof5

I agree with that the entree are meant for one person. My husband is not a small guy and I'm average for a woman and there were times we skipped desert since we were so full from just one appitizer and one entree..

However, I'm really sure the waiters are not "unhappy" when people order more than one...

On our last cruise in Dec, our waiter actually brought over an extra plate of shrimp that we didnt order and said "I hope this is ok :)"..we were like "YES of course!"

Also remember that you can order any of the pasta entrees as an appetizer! (I think they even encourage you to do this on the menu now -- the pasta dishes as usually listed with "Also available as a Starter"). I love the smaller size as I get to try the different pastas while still having room for a meat or seafood entree.

You do realize that in the MDR, one entree is meant for one person. I find them more than adequate. I am not a supporter of ordering more than one dish for dinner, and I find it quite rude, frankly. Just my two cents...

By the way, I'm sure the waiters are pretty unhappy when you order twice, they might not show it, though.

Odd that on lobster night the "unhappy waiters" would bring out a plate loaded with lobster tails for the entire table to share. Without even being asked.

I will be the one proudly sporting multiple ramikins of Mac and cheese when and where I can get it. :) It's vacation, after all!!!!!

I thought it would be kind of "cheap" cuisine but those mac and cheese mini bites are great! What are they thinking putting it in medicine cup sized ramikins?

Personally, I order like I would at a restaurant.

One entree. More than that is just weird. IMO.

I can't imagine going somewhere and asking for 2 entrees.

But, like I said-IMO. No need for flaming. :)

You never eat seconds at home, at a buffet, or at a party? Is it weird if you see others doing it? :confused:

Is it hard to get a table for only two? I'm going on my first cruise in a few months with my dh and now I'm starting to think maybe we should sit by ourselves... I like meeting new people but if they are just going to get mad if I accidentally screw up the dinner and stare me down, it's not worth it.

WOW! I didn't realize that this is such a touch subject around here! Trust me, I was not trying to be "snooty" or "rude",just pointing out that you aren't OBLIGATED to try to get as much lobster as possible on the cruise. Sorry, I guess :confused::eek:

No worries from me ny... ;)

I am so glad the OP asked this question, & I love all the replies! I've seen so many great ideas here. Thanks everyone! :)

Starrfish

I usually order 2 appetizers since they are so small, one entree, then dessert. But the boyfriend loves getting 2 entrees because it lets him try different stuff plus they might not be offering it again the next day. Lobster night, I always order 2 tails because I loooove them so much!!!

Definitely order it up front so you aren't making it hard on the waiters. And they don't mind at all, they were definitely encouraging us to order more!!

After we have ordered our water will usually say “anything else?” They don’t care what you order. The MDR on a cruise ship is not like a land based restaurant. In our experience the waiter will only wait a short while before service starts. Anyone who shows up late will start from when they arrive at the table. We have had people eating desert while others are still eating their main course.

Your waiter is dealing with a number of tables, trying to serve all of them at the same time. If you screw up their timing, don't get mad at them if you are the last ones in the dining room and miss the shows or other events.

Even if you are at a table for two, you can still screw up the timing for other tables around you, if the waiter has to make multiple trips to the kitchen. In the kitchen there are lines they need to go through, also - all the waiters are trying to pick up food orders.

If you order multiple entrees, they will usually grab all of them at once and leave the extras somewhere near the table with the covers still on them to keep warm.

It isn't fine dining, it is mass market dining and to get everyone served in a timely fashion is difficult at best.

Okay, to everyone who says that the waiters are more than happy to do anything for you...

Let's get back to the basics, people: the waiters ARE PAID to be "happy" when you order more stuff. How do you know that they don't gossip about it with their crew mates after?

The crew "gossiping" about me is the least of my worries on the cruise....

My husband and I had no idea you could order more than one entree or app (or dessert) the first few nights of our cruise. We were seated with a wonderful bunch of Canadians that showed us how it was done!

Same here! Well, except for the Canadians...LOL On our first cruise we were seated at a table full of first time cruisers and none of us realized that we could order more than one entree. Then formal night came. (Yes formal, not elegant night then!) I couldn't decide between the lobster and the prime rib. I was one of the last to order and I finally decided that I would breach etiquette and ask for both. The waiter very enthusiastically agreed and then everyone at the table perked up and changed their orders to match mine. The last night or two we all ordered extra appetizers for the table and had a blast.

Back to the OP though...order them together. While you can ask for seconds it is more polite to order it with the entree round.

Order whatever you want. Really. Its your vacation.

But I would suggest ordering whatever it is you want at the beginning along with everything else. Its easier that way and less stressful for the wait staff, but please don't let that stop you from ordering something else later on if you decide you don't like what you have OR you see something that looks good and you want to try it. They will be happy to oblige.

I'm a tiny lady and on cruises at dinner I usually eat a soup, an appetizer (maybe 2), a salad, an entree (maybe 2) and a dessert. I eat whatever appeals to me on the menu. The are usually SMALL portions and ordering multiples is absolutely fine.

The shrimp cocktail are so tiny that most people order more than one, but then you have more plates then you have room for on the table. I wish they would just plate the extra food on the same plate. Same with entrees....we sat at a 2 top on our anniversary and we only ordered one entree because we weren't very hungry, but if we had, I don't think it would have fit on the table. As it was there was barely enough room.

Okay, to everyone who says that the waiters are more than happy to do anything for you...

Let's get back to the basics, people: the waiters ARE PAID to be "happy" when you order more stuff. How do you know that they don't gossip about it with their crew mates after?

Who cares?

To the OP, Order what and how much you want.

Personally I'd order it upfront just to save the waiter a trip.

Given the responses from some, we will be requesting a table for 2 on our upcoming cruise to avoid anyone with a stick up their backside about perceived MDR etiquette.

Hey Gang!

Last year on the Inspiration several of my hosses and I had five to eight lobster tails. We kept our wait staff busy all night between the drink orders and the tails, but they enjoyed our table, especially our honorable hoss Kwame.

Just make sure you take care of the staff. Hand them an extra cigar you pick up on the island or something.

Take care Gang!

So, say I really want 2 lobster tail/shrimp dinners. Should I order them at the same time, or can I make sure I can still eat another and re-order? Which is the "proper" procedure?

Roflmao......I don't see a question asking about a "reasonable serving size."

I see a question asking about when OP should order a second entree.

You do realize that in the MDR, one entree is meant for one person. I find them more than adequate. I am not a supporter of ordering more than one dish for dinner, and I find it quite rude, frankly. Just my two cents...

By the way, I'm sure the waiters are pretty unhappy when you order twice, they might not show it, though.

I am glad you will not be my table mate on my next cruise.

On an RCCL church cruise, 2 different people order six (count 'em) lobsters each. And ate them all.

OP -- Most waiters prefer you order all dinners at the same time, but will get you another one if you decide later you want it. This is especially true for me with some appetizers. I will try it and find it to be really great, and order another one. As for lobster night, most waiters have extra lobsters ready, and even bring them around to you before you even ask. As for ordering more than one entree, I often order the lobster and one beef dish (steak or prime rib usually -- depending on the cruise line and what is offered). Stuffed? You betcha. Happy? You betcha.

You know what? I'm not going to waste my time with this anymore. YOU are the one who is bullying anyone who points out a reasonable serving size. I can just prey that you don't turn up on any of my cruises.:rolleyes:

By the way, may I refer you to one of your kind, friendly posts on CC...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=27140326&highlight=#post27140326

Rude

I'm quite sure that if I turned up on one of your cruises, you would, indeed, "prey" on me. :-)

I don't see where it is any of your, or anyone else's, job to point out what a reasonable serving size is. The OP asked if it was possible to order a second entree, and when that would be. You then decided to become arbitor of what other people should eat, and denounce them as rude for not following your guidelines. That's fine, it is a public board, but don't then act all hurt because people call you out on it.

Archived