MDR Ordering

parentsof5

You do realize that in the MDR, one entree is meant for one person. I find them more than adequate. I am not a supporter of ordering more than one dish for dinner, and I find it quite rude, frankly. Just my two cents...

By the way, I'm sure the waiters are pretty unhappy when you order twice, they might not show it, though.

Well, see here...Opinions Vary;)

I have never had a problem ordering what I wanted in the MDR.

I also don't think the waitstaff are unhappy about it at all, considering they often

suggest ordering 2 choices, if you seem to be unsure.

Yeah, they might prefer it if you order it all at once...to save them time and extra steps,

But, I have on lobster night had waiters bring me a 2nd without requesting it and,

I have also seen them making rounds with a tray of lobsters passing them out.

Order what you want and enjoy.

why would hold everyone else up to order seconds? I don't see how me enjoying a wonderful meal is going hold anyone else back from enjoying theirs. Just wondering.

ordering seconds later in the meal will hold up my dessert.

The table is served all together- that is why if you want seconds to let the waiter know ahead of time. The waiter is not going to be serving me a dessert when the table is still ordering entrees.

Wow... ny, you must not have been with the right table-mates... Our servers have always been more than happy to bring us multiple entree's, they even offer to & suggest we try more than one each.

You may have been missing out on the good stuff! On our 2nd cruise the waiters brought my 5 yo DS more & more & more & more shrimp cocktails! It was the funniest thing ever... we didn't even ask, they just saw a 5 yo who loved the first one, so they kept brining him more.

The awesome thing about cruising is that we can each do what we like.

:)

Wow, why on earth are people so rude??

To further expound on this. On our cruise our waiters brought us extra stuff even when we didnt ask for it, just so we could try it. Often they would bring us a few different desserts. They often brought my son an entire plate full of cookies and icecream, when all we asked for was 1 cookie. They (at least in my experience) are not even remotely unhappy about bringing you extra food. In fact, when my two year old wanted milk. They brought him an extra glass and held it at the wait station, just in case he wanted seconds.

Settle down next time, and try and enjoy yourself, rather than be so darn snooty.

really there's no need to be rude. she was asking a simple question and honestly, your response was more rude than her ordering 2 entrees. unnecessary negativity.

WOW! I didn't realize that this is such a touch subject around here! Trust me, I was not trying to be "snooty" or "rude",just pointing out that you aren't OBLIGATED to try to get as much lobster as possible on the cruise. Sorry, I guess :confused::eek:

You do realize that in the MDR, one entree is meant for one person. I find them more than adequate. I am not a supporter of ordering more than one dish for dinner, and I find it quite rude, frankly. Just my two cents...

By the way, I'm sure the waiters are pretty unhappy when you order twice, they might not show it, though.

So I guess my ordering 4 lobster dinners would be a no-no?? I'm working up to a record 5, but the shrimp keep getting in the way! :D

As the portion sizes have gone down, and number of course have decreased, for almost 20. years have I been ordering more than one entree.

I ALWAYS order both when I make my intial order. I just figure I'm saving them a trip.

I agree with that the entree are meant for one person. My husband is not a small guy and I'm average for a woman and there were times we skipped desert since we were so full from just one appitizer and one entree..

However, I'm really sure the waiters are not "unhappy" when people order more than one...

My husband and I had no idea you could order more than one entree or app (or dessert) the first few nights of our cruise. We were seated with a wonderful bunch of Canadians that showed us how it was done!

Most nights I'd have two apps and one entree. If there were two desserts I just couldn't decide between I'd order both. I think there was only one night I ordered two entrees.

To each his own!

I do think if you are going to order two do it at the beginning so you don't hold up your fellow diners. I found the waitstaff to be extremely kind and helpful.

you do realize that in the mdr, one entree is meant for one person. I find them more than adequate. I am not a supporter of ordering more than one dish for dinner, and i find it quite rude, frankly. Just my two cents...

By the way, i'm sure the waiters are pretty unhappy when you order twice, they might not show it, though.

100,000% wrong!

When we could not decide on what to eat one night, our waiter decided for us...he brought us both entrees!

Do what you want, its vacation!

We've had this happen on several cruises. So much for the above posted theory that only one entree per person is intended.

you do realize this is false, and quite possibly just your opinion.

We had a waiter that was great on one of our cruises. I had been talking every night how I couldn't wait for lobster night. On lobster night, he came to our table and it was just 3 people at the table. He looked at me and said, Oh, so we have 6 people at the table tonight. One person looked confused and said, No, 3. He looked at me, winked, and said, No, there are 6... Needless to say, I ate good that night!!!

OMG....I am soooooo sorry if I hold up your meal while I

1. Have a second entree

2. Take my time eating so I enjoy it

Maybe if some people are in such a hurry they should consider requesting a table for 2 or 4 whatever would fit their party.

I had a gentleman on one cruise that ate really fast and then would stare at me because I wasn't eating fast enough oh and drum his fingers on the table....I just stopped eating and stared back....lol

The worst part is I am a fast eater until I get on R&R and my wife slows me down

"...meant for one person"...which person? a 98 pound, 75 year old grandmom? a 260 cement mason?

Ttell me that one size fits all.

Also, often there is a difficult decision to make among the choices. We will sometimes each order an entreee and then order another one "for the table" for us to taste and share.

After touring the galley and the Behind the Scenes Tour, I would SUGGEST ordering both entrees at the beginning. Yes, to make it easier on the waiters. I don't find it rude to order more than one entree. If we go to a restaurant locally (paying for what we order), we would usually order 2 lobster tails as an entree or one lobster tail as an "add-on" to an entree. There just isn't that much to a lobster tail, which is probably why CCL added the shrimp.

Have a great time on your vacation!

The table is served all together- that is why if you want seconds to let the waiter know ahead of time. The waiter is not going to be serving me a dessert when the table is still ordering entrees.

Having never cruised, but will be soon I find this completely stupid. I'm on vacation too and am on a cruise ship to enjoy and savor the experience (and food!). Having never cruised before how am I to know if one lobster will be enough for me? Maybe its so good that I decide I want seconds as I'm finishing the 1st. By all means, enjoy your dessert and excuse yourself from the table when you are finished. There's no need to wait for me unless you're my husband! In fact, I would insist that the waiter bring your dessert while I was enjoying my meal. Far be it for me to hold anyone up on their vacation, but far be it for them to dictate how many entrees I will enjoy on mine!

Thats why we do anytime dining and get a 2-top. So I don't have to worry about your dessert.

Having never cruised, but will be soon I find this completely stupid. I'm on vacation too and am on a cruise ship to enjoy and savor the experience (and food!). Having never cruised before how am I to know if one lobster will be enough for me? Maybe its so good that I decide I want seconds as I'm finishing the 1st. By all means, enjoy your dessert and excuse yourself from the table when you are finished. There's no need to wait for me unless you're my husband! In fact, I would insist that the waiter bring your dessert while I was enjoying my meal. Far be it for me to hold anyone up on their vacation, but far be it for them to dictate how many entrees I will enjoy on mine!

While we had a table to ourselves on our cruise, i would venture to guess the vast majority of people on a cruise ship vacation don't care what you order or how you eat it. I know i would definitely not care. But, that is the risk you take of sitting with random strangers. Im sure there are the select few folks who just can't go with the flow, and want to make a fuss about what you order, how you order, what you are wearing, are your shoes the right kind, are your pants ironed correctly, did you use the right fork..etc..etc..etc....i say leave that stuff on shore, and have fun.

"...meant for one person"...which person? a 98 pound, 75 year old grandmom? a 260 cement mason?

Ttell me that one size fits all.

Also, often there is a difficult decision to make among the choices. We will sometimes each order an entreee and then order another one "for the table" for us to taste and share.

Exactly. I eat allot. I would not be satiated with one app and an entree. Obviously some are. But I need at least an app, shrimp cocktail, 2 entrees and dessert, or otherwise I will be back at the buffet within an hour.

If you want a second one of anything order it. Time wise it would be better to order two up front instead of ordering after the first one. We have only been told no once. We tried to substitute chicken parmesan for veal parmesan. Veal parmesan was on the menu. We had chicken another way. If you try something and do not like it ask for something else. Ask is all you have to do. You have a good chance of getting what you want. ;)

I order 2 orders of entree all the time. Sometimes I order multiple entrees with no appetizer and/or dessert.

I order the second entree only after I am done with the first, that way my food come out hot and steaming. I don't think the waiter should be angry at this. It is his/her job to serve and the guest should not compromise his dining enjoyment so the waiter can rest. Besides, he will be running to pick up other guest's order anyway, so it's not like I am making him stay late and work overtime just for me.

I don't have to worry about delaying my tablemates because I do my time dining and I only sit with my family.

Once each cruise I order a double entree.

On lobster night I always also order the prime rib entree to turn my dinner into a surf 'n turf, and my waiter has never greeted my request with anything other than a gracious smile.

We've always had great waitstaff - offering their opinions of certain entrees or appetizers, offering suggestions. On our kids' first cruise the waiter would bring extra shrimp cocktails for DH & DD, extra fruit appetizer for DS and had chocolate milk waiting at the table for the kids. This same waiter would always have a packet of cookies for DS when we saw him around the ship (or on Half Moon Cay).

On our Dream cruise last week, we ordered multiple appetizers on some nights, double entrees on one night (lobster - of course) and double desserts a couple of nights. Our waiter was absolutely wonderful. He brought us a special dessert on our anniversary and sang to us.

The service in the MDR, including the waitstaff and the ability to try new or different things, is one of the first things that my family will tell anyone who asks what it is about cruising that keeps us coming back.

I laugh when people talk about their teenage boys and husbands. My sister and I travelled together in 2009 and every night she order 3 shrimp cocktails and then would clean her plate at dinner (and yes, sometimes ordered two) and she is only 5'5 and weighs 120lbs...granted she is an aerobics instructor with a crazy metabolism, but needless to say, people gave her funny looks at the table.

I say that to mean, order what you want! You have paid to enjoy your vacation. Don't be rude and wait till everyone is ready to order dessert and you want another entree, but don't be afraid to order more if you want it!:)

On my recent Paradise cruise, on elegant night eight of the 10 ordered Prime Rib. After the waiter brought the dinners we ordered the waiter brought 5 extra lobster tail dinners and sat them in the middle of the table for us to share without us even asking. I'm guessing if you do ask for two entrees they don't mind.

I order 2 orders of entree all the time. Sometimes I order multiple entrees with no appetizer and/or dessert.

I order the second entree only after I am done with the first, that way my food come out hot and steaming. I don't think the waiter should be angry at this. It is his/her job to serve and the guest should not compromise his dining enjoyment so the waiter can rest. Besides, he will be running to pick up other guest's order anyway, so it's not like I am making him stay late and work overtime just for me.

I don't have to worry about delaying my tablemates because I do my time dining and I only sit with my family.

You may end up with an unwanted clam.

Archived