MDR Ordering

parentsof5

I'm quite sure that if I turned up on one of your cruises, you would, indeed, "prey" on me. :-)

I don't see where it is any of your, or anyone else's, job to point out what a reasonable serving size is. The OP asked if it was possible to order a second entree, and when that would be. You then decided to become arbitor of what other people should eat, and denounce them as rude for not following your guidelines. That's fine, it is a public board, but don't then act all hurt because people call you out on it.

Okay fine. You win. I get it.

I'm sorry about getting all frusterated and everything, yes, it is vacation after all! Besides, this is a vacation board. Maybe I took it a little too seriously. WhansaMi and everyone else who called me out: sorry!

Everyone enjoy your cruises...and yes, you can have as much lobster as you want. ;)

I overreacted!:D

Okay fine. You win. I get it.

I'm sorry about getting all frusterated and everything, yes, it is vacation after all! Besides, this is a vacation board. Maybe I took it a little too seriously. WhansaMi and everyone else who called me out: sorry!

Everyone enjoy your cruises...and yes, you can have as much lobster as you want. ;)

I overreacted!:D

Apology accepted.

Enjoy your cruise.

Order as much as you want, but order it all at once or you do screw things up.

For those who don't care, well, don't whine when I show up late for dinner and screw up your schedule.

I,m not whining and I don't particularly care if you show up a bit late because I am on vacation to relax and enjoy myself. I don't get a lot of time to eat at the DEFAC after I walk 15 minutes to get there so a slow enjoyed meal is just what is in order when my R&R rolls around

Having never cruised, but will be soon I find this completely stupid. I'm on vacation too and am on a cruise ship to enjoy and savor the experience (and food!). Having never cruised before how am I to know if one lobster will be enough for me? Maybe its so good that I decide I want seconds as I'm finishing the 1st. By all means, enjoy your dessert and excuse yourself from the table when you are finished. There's no need to wait for me unless you're my husband! In fact, I would insist that the waiter bring your dessert while I was enjoying my meal. Far be it for me to hold anyone up on their vacation, but far be it for them to dictate how many entrees I will enjoy on mine!

Except that the waiter is not going to serve dessert to anyone at the table until you are done with your entree. That is just the way it is usually done. Now I don't know what would happen if you said to them " I want a second steak but please go ahead with everyone elses dessert". We had a couple of guys at our table last year that came to dinner nearly an hour late and you could tell it was an inconvenience to the servers. That said I see nothing wrong with ordering 2 entrees if you want to but if you know you want 2 order them both at once in consideration of your tablemates and your waitstaff.

Except that the waiter is not going to serve dessert to anyone at the table until you are done with your entree. That is just the way it is usually done. Now I don't know what would happen if you said to them " I want a second steak but please go ahead with everyone elses dessert". We had a couple of guys at our table last year that came to dinner nearly an hour late and you could tell it was an inconvenience to the servers. That said I see nothing wrong with ordering 2 entrees if you want to but if you know you want 2 order them both at once in consideration of your tablemates and your waitstaff.

The waiters will do exactly what you tell them to do.

You do realize that in the MDR, one entree is meant for one person. I find them more than adequate. I am not a supporter of ordering more than one dish for dinner, and I find it quite rude, frankly. Just my two cents...

By the way, I'm sure the waiters are pretty unhappy when you order twice, they might not show it, though.

judgemental much?

Sorry the OP didn't ask you should they order seconds, they asked when.

I find people that try to police others intake to be VERY rude. This is my two cents.......:rolleyes:

Okay, to everyone who says that the waiters are more than happy to do anything for you...

Let's get back to the basics, people: the waiters ARE PAID to be "happy" when you order more stuff. How do you know that they don't gossip about it with their crew mates after?

Why would I give a flying fart if they do this or not :confused:

Why would I give a flying fart if they do this or not :confused:

LOL! I agree! I don't care if the waiters or other crew members "like" me. I don't plan on ever seeing them again so why should I care? Now, I'm not going to be rude to them or overly demanding, but if I want another lobster..I WANT ANOTHER LOBSTER! And its their JOB to accomodate ME.:cool:

You do realize that in the MDR, one entree is meant for one person. I find them more than adequate. I am not a supporter of ordering more than one dish for dinner, and I find it quite rude, frankly. Just my two cents...

By the way, I'm sure the waiters are pretty unhappy when you order twice, they might not show it, though.

Boy, Just Love To Be Lectured on how to live. Also love the use of "I".

So I guess my ordering 4 lobster dinners would be a no-no?? I'm working up to a record 5, but the shrimp keep getting in the way! :D

TOOO FUNNY...being originally from New England I find the lobster tails like a piece of shrimp :D, therefore I will always order at least two if not 3...not up to your record, but hey I just might give it is try in 28 days ;)

ordering seconds later in the meal will hold up my dessert.

The table is served all together- that is why if you want seconds to let the waiter know ahead of time. The waiter is not going to be serving me a dessert when the table is still ordering entrees.

I agree...that's why I started asking to be seated at our own table and booking the anytime dining... I don't want to hold up anyone else's dinner or vice versa.

Plus, I have a hard time stomaching inconsiderate people who could care less about their rude behavior and how they inconvenience others...

OP...order as many as you want..if possible at the same time. Sometimes, we each order our entree and then a couple of entrees that none of us ordered for the table and we all try them. For instance, I've never had duck before. So, that was one of the entrees that we ordered for our table. BTW..didn't like..but my husband and daughter did!

TOOO FUNNY...being originally from New England I find the lobster tails like a piece of shrimp :D, therefore I will always order at least two if not 3...not up to your record, but hey I just might give it is try in 28 days ;)

Good luck. Let me know how it turns out. We may have to start a competition!! :)

Well then I hope that you're never dining with us. My BF will order 2 entrees and on our next cruise (15 days away!) I plan on ordering some fish entrees to try them out. I'm not a big fish eater, but my BF is so I plan on ordering a fish entree and then something I know I'll like just in case. It's my plan on how to broaden my eating habits.

ordering seconds later in the meal will hold up my dessert.

The table is served all together- that is why if you want seconds to let the waiter know ahead of time. The waiter is not going to be serving me a dessert when the table is still ordering entrees.

I agree...that's why I started asking to be seated at our own table and booking the anytime dining... I don't want to hold up anyone else's dinner or vice versa.

!

Yes anytime dining does away with these issues. As first time Carnival cruisers we didn't

know what we liked so we often (usually) ordered more then one app, main and dessert each.

You know what - Nothing we liked went uneaten! With anytime dining we never felt rushed

or on someone elses schedule.

Waiters were always nice and accommodating.

The only time I order seconds in the MDR is when there is lobster, then when I order I just ask for a second tail. There is so much to eat on the ship and I want to try it all, without gaining a ton of wait on my vacation. :0) I mean I have to save room for my steak and brie sandwich that I will have around midnight.

OP...order as many as you want..if possible at the same time. Sometimes, we each order our entree and then a couple of entrees that none of us ordered for the table and we all try them. For instance, I've never had duck before. So, that was one of the entrees that we ordered for our table. BTW..didn't like..but my husband and daughter did!

Exactly! A cruise is the perfect opportunity to experiment with new experiences - food and otherwise! My last cruise I decided to try Escargot, and it was wonderful! On land, I was always afraid to try it, I didn't want to risk the cost of ordering it just in case I didn't like it.

Part of the fun of a cruise is to stroll towards the MDR earlier in the day and get a glance at that evening's menu. The anticipation and 'planning' between that first glance and ordering the courses and entrees (plural intended) that evening is what it's all about! (It sure beats worrying all day about the TPS reports being balanced!:D;))

Exactly! A cruise is the perfect opportunity to experiment with new experiences - food and otherwise! My last cruise I decided to try Escargot, and it was wonderful! On land, I was always afraid to try it, I didn't want to risk the cost of ordering it just in case I didn't like it.

Part of the fun of a cruise is to stroll towards the MDR earlier in the day and get a glance at that evening's menu. The anticipation and 'planning' between that first glance and ordering the courses and entrees (plural intended) that evening is what it's all about! (It sure beats worrying all day about the TPS reports being balanced!:D;))

That is a lot of fun!

You do realize that in the MDR, one entree is meant for one person. ...

Why don't you read the entire thread before flaming me?

BTW, this is a public board. You, I, and everyone else has the right to their opinion. ;)

Because when you spout utter nonsense like you did in your original reply, you are going to get a myriad of messages calling you on it.

You are entitled to your opinion, of course. But the way you answered the question with your opinion asserted as policy is sure to open the door to less than flattering opinions of your opinion.

Because when you spout utter nonsense like you did in your original reply, you are going to get a myriad of messages calling you on it.

You are entitled to your opinion, of course. But the way you answered the question with your opinion asserted as policy is sure to open the door to less than flattering opinions of your opinion.

Point taken. I've already apologized for my less then friendly post. I still stick to what I said, but I should of made it more clear that it was "In my humble opinion". Of course, you can do whatever you want...your cruise!

Sorry, again!:o

I wouldn't want this thread to disuade any first time crusiers from eating in the MDR with people they don't know. On my first cruise I met a couple from Gibraltar and it was an amazing experience that I would have missed had we eaten as just a family. Granted many of you have been on MANY more cruises than I have... but I've never been seated with anyone who "held up" my dinner or caused me to miss any of my other plans for the evening.

Especially remember if you are in the earlier dining time that there is another table of people coming in to eat in 2 hours. Delaying your server an unreasonable amount of time (just simply asking for one extra entree won't do this!) could delay the other table. Be polite and think of others but also don't hesitate to enjoy yourselves to the fullest!

I wouldn't want this thread to disuade any first time crusiers from eating in the MDR with people they don't know. On my first cruise I met a couple from Gibraltar and it was an amazing experience that I would have missed had we eaten as just a family. Granted many of you have been on MANY more cruises than I have... but I've never been seated with anyone who "held up" my dinner or caused me to miss any of my other plans for the evening.

I'm going on my first cruise in a few months and I'm not sure if I want to eat with strangers now lol.

Archived