Marina Sanctuary?

cruzmaven

I was just going through the Marina deck plans and notice a portion of the sundeck on deck 14 is labeled "Sanctuary".

Do we know what this area is yet?

It's a larger version of "The Patio" on the R ships

192522.jpg

Although I suspect that Canyon Ranch may look upon it as an additional area for Spa clients to assemble before their scheduled appointments :rolleyes:

What is the Patio area then? Maybe the smoking section

Confused

Lyn,

I hope that you are joshing, because otherwise I think I might be losing my mind.

The Patio is that outdoor area on the port side of the pool deck -opposite Waves- where there are sofas, coffee tables and several of those double lounge chairs.

You and I actually talked about having the Cruise Critic gathering out there on Caribbean Pearls because it looked so nice; but on second thought we decided that it might get too hot outside.

It's a larger version of "The Patio" on the R ships

192522.jpg

Although I suspect that Canyon Ranch may look upon it as an additional area for Spa clients to assemble before their scheduled appointments :rolleyes:

I do believe Canyon Ranch SpaClub it is:

Enjoy these private environments with the purchase of a daily pass:

Thalassotherapy Pool

The therapeutic and healing benefits of salt water and massage are united in the wonderful thlassotherapy pool where you can unwind and feel the power of flowing water unknotting tired muscles. Excellent post-workout or pre-massage.

Sundeck

Relax on our private sundeck after your thalassotherapy experience. Enjoy a quiet escape from the hustle and bustle of other travelers.

Kathleen

Lyn,

I hope that you are joshing, because otherwise I think I might be losing my mind.

The Patio is that outdoor area on the port side of the pool deck -opposite Waves- where there are sofas, coffee tables and several of those double lounge chairs.

On the Marina there is a PATIO on deck 14 starboard ...forward part of the deck opposite the Sanctuary

So I guess we will have to wait on reports from the first troops on the ship ;)

Sundeck

Relax on our private sundeck after your thalassotherapy experience. Enjoy a quiet escape from the hustle and bustle of other travelers.

Kathleen

They do have sundeck space in the front of the ship but maybe the Sanctuary is a pay for use area :confused:

I guess time will tell

Just, please, don't let it be the outside smoking area.:eek: We're almost directly under it on Deck 10.

We'll know in another week and a half, one way or the other. I can't wait!

Just, please, don't let it be the outside smoking area.:eek: We're almost directly under it on Deck 10.

We'll know in another week and a half, one way or the other. I can't wait!

It is definately NOT the outside smoking area.

I have that in writing from Oceania ;)

You are 2 decks below the pool deck I would think you will be OK there

Enjoy the cruise

They do have sundeck space in the front of the ship but maybe the Sanctuary is a pay for use area :confused:

I blew up the layout on a large monitor and it does look like a "quiet area" for reading or conversation (as S&J mentioned above) dipicted with what seems to be couches, chairs and small tables. Since the configuration is so different with Barristas, the Library, etc., on Marina, perhaps that "quiet area" was moved from where it was on the R ships (opposite side of Waves) and now called "Sanctuary".

Kathleen

It is definately NOT the outside smoking area.

I have that in writing from Oceania ;)

Do you happen to know where the outside smoking area will be situated on Marina? Enquiring minds want to know (and avoid)...

Kathleen

Two quotes from Oceania.

One about the Sanctuary:

The Patio and the Sanctuary are Marina's two plush, on-deck lounge areas. Locatedon Deck 14, you will find an enticing array of sumptuous day beds, couches and lounges which beckon you to surrender, relax and take in the sweeping vistas and ocean views. As these lounges are provided for the enjoyment of all guests aboard, we kindly request that you not "reserve" seats with personal items.

The other about the location(s) of the smoking areas:

For the comfort and convenience of our smoking guests, smoking is limited to the forward, starboard corner of the pool deck, on Deck 12, and the aft, port corner of Horizons on deck 15.

Two quotes from Oceania.

One about the Sanctuary:

The Patio and the Sanctuary are Marina's two plush, on-deck lounge areas. Locatedon Deck 14, you will find an enticing array of sumptuous day beds, couches and lounges which beckon you to surrender, relax and take in the sweeping vistas and ocean views. As these lounges are provided for the enjoyment of all guests aboard, we kindly request that you not "reserve" seats with personal items.

sounds like the place to be;)

The other about the location(s) of the smoking areas:

For the comfort and convenience of our smoking guests, smoking is limited to the forward, starboard corner of the pool deck, on Deck 12, and the aft, port corner of Horizons on deck 15.

I think I am not alone in wishing that Oceania had decided to restrict smoking to one very small outdoor area only.

Still in Horizons, bah and bah again, Oceania had the chance, if smokers were still welcomed, to put in an enclosed area for smokers. Away from non-smokers, double air-lock doors, extreme ventilation, and a purifying lock to de-smell clothes on exiting. (Oh, and breath fresheners available).

• 3 weeks later...
Could our "Maiden Voyage" cruisers provide us with information about the Sanctuary, the Patio and other areas?

Also, updates regarding the amount of smoking on the ship and whether it was contained, where it drifted, etc. would be very helpful.

Pictures? Videos? Comments?

Photos? Didn't I tell you I wasn't going to spoil ALL of the surprises :p?

As far as smoke, it never seemed to be an issue when one was in Horizons. Now granted, we did tend to stay on the starboard side of Horizons. Almost never did we go into Horizons via port side simply to avoid that area. However, from my initial experience, there must be a special ventilation system as the smell of smoke hardly ever exited that area.

Now, overall on this maiden voyage, there appeared to be very few smokers at all.

I will suggest to you that the ceramic heated chairs in front of the spa as well as the deck space in that area were used very little if at all on our voyage.

Again, sanctuary and patio were utilized towards the end, but most people who wanted to be outside were busy jockeying for a sunny place (and not having trouble finding that either).

Hope this helps a little...

David

I am very aware of smells. I'll often notice cigarette smoke before those around me. As much as I don't like the smoke, I am somewhat more tolerant it seems than others. Unlike smokers I have free run of the ship and there is ample space everywhere to avoid a whiff. (I cannot speak though for a nearby balcony (if indeed any) - that would be awful if smoke drifted to the balcony as it does on some cruise lines.)

That said, Horizons has a fairly large, mostly glass enclosed area for smokers. If you walk past you *will* smell smoke. We did and walked the six paces to the door more quickly. Problem solved.

I agree with sldispatcher that they must have a good air treatment system because despite the heavy use of the room not much smell escaped. But in fairness we did not, and had no reason to, sit near that area. Only at tea time did Horizons seating get full. It is a large flowing space and everything you would want to see or do is not near the smoking section.

More to the topic, there are several somewhat secluded "Patio"-type areas with over-sized loungers or tables and chairs. All very nice and one can sit quietly away from the pool area enjoying the breeze and ocean views. Very nicely laid out.

I spent a considerable amount of time in the art loft, and the nearest ladies restroom is just outside on the pool deck, near the outside smoking area. The smell was noticeable, but just a couple steps out from under the overhanging deck and the odor was gone. No problem. I agree with Mark (YoHoHo) about the smoking area in Horizons Lounge, and we had no problem entering either port or starboard as a result. In both cases you just have to be aware where you are and control your breathing for about five seconds and the smell is really not a problem at all.

The Sanctuary and Patio are beautiful areas with ceiling fans, large lounge chairs, palm plants, art work, etc. During much of our cruise the wind seemed to whistle and eddy through those spaces because they are open to the sea on the side as well as the deck entry, so neither was used much on this cruise because we had several very windy days at sea, with 30-50 mile per hour winds. When the wind calmed down it was lovely there, and both would be a true, and somewhat Eastern feeling sanctuaries on a hot sea day.

There are numerous small "cubby holes" for people to enjoy private time all over the various open decks, however. No problem getting some private time if one chooses!

Hope that helps.

Kay

Archived