Help! Just Got Upgraded to a Penthouse

Randus62

We have never had these kind of accomodations. What does the butler do for you, what does the conceraige do and what do you tip them? What are the benifits of an AB Penthouse?

Congratulations...:)

The Butler will bring you things, and the Concierge will arrange things.

Butler will deliver room service orders, and can set up and serve full meals from any restaurant on the ship in your cabin.

Concierge may arrange priority disembarkation, early admission to chocoholic buffet, and make restaurant reservations.

Tipping is subjective....depends on how much you personally use their services.

Both will come and visit you and let you know if you need anything, they are there for you. We've been in suites twice....one time the concierge was nonexistant, butler ok. Second suite, concierge made the cruise, butler nonexistant except for leaving snacks. We are not high maintenance people and felt funny "asking" for things but did mention the choc buffet and we got in early to take pics and enjoy the chocolate. Enjoy your cruise, I'm sure you'll love the suite.

The best Perks: eating breakfast and lunch at Cagneys, early emabarkation from special waiting lounge, and priority tendering if there are tender ports.

Ask the butler to bring you menues from all the restaurants. You can have him bring your meals to your cabin (have to pay extra for specialty dinners).Enjoy, you paid extra for all this!

This is an NCL site that will help you understand your suite benefits. We had breakfast and dinner served in our suite every day. It was terrific. You will learn to love the sound of the doorbell.

http://www.nclsuitesandvillas.com

By the way, we sailed in an AB penthouse aft on the Sky. See the link to my webshots gallery in my signature below for a photo tour.

Congratulations! You will love the suite life!

Cagney's is of course our number one favorite, but there are so many others.

I love the coffee makers. Fresh coffee when I want.

We always try to eat breakfast and lunch at Cagney's but often have dinner delivered to our suite...from any restaurant.

Too..there is the "sweet treats" that your butler will deliver every day.

Another is that we used to sneak down to the buffet late at night for ice cream...your butler will deliver wonderful hand scooped sundies and confections that are not on any menu that I have seen, simply by asking him/her.

i'm glad you asked this. We had VIP perks on our last cruise and while we didn't have a butler, we had use of the Concierge, even though we never called on him. We loved the priority boarding and tendering, loved Cagney's for breakfast and lunch and loved the tour of the bridge and sneaking in early to the chocolate buffet.

the part i'm fuzzy on, is what to tip in cases where you don't actually use the butler or concierge, per se. If you don't call the concierge to have him arrange reservations, or if you don't call the butler to have him deliver food or other stuff for you. What if you only use the perks (like priority boarding and cagneys)? The butler and the concierge aren't actually doing anything for you on an individual basis as any contact with the concierge is just in a group setting with other suites/VIP passengers. I certainly don't want to not give someone a tip if they have earned it, so this is a very confusing situation when you don't actually use them personally.

I look forward to hearing what folks have to say on this.

We are sailing on the Pearl in 5 weeks in an Aft penthouse suite. We are looking forward to

1. priority suite boarding

2. coffee maker in suite

3. butler keeping coffee full, bringing afternoon snacks

4. using the "suite menu" room service often

5. Ordering from any restaurant and having it delivered to our room (speciality restaurants we will pay the normal surcharge for)

6. Eating at Cagney's for breakfast and lunch (hear the shrimp are to die for)

7. Having the concierge book all our meals and shows

8. priority tenders

We are setting aside $100 for the butler and $100 for concierge (but will adjust for good or bad service). This is our first time in a suite.

i'm glad you asked this. We had VIP perks on our last cruise and while we didn't have a butler, we had use of the Concierge, even though we never called on him. We loved the priority boarding and tendering, loved Cagney's for breakfast and lunch and loved the tour of the bridge and sneaking in early to the chocolate buffet.

the part i'm fuzzy on, is what to tip in cases where you don't actually use the butler or concierge, per se. If you don't call the concierge to have him arrange reservations, or if you don't call the butler to have him deliver food or other stuff for you. What if you only use the perks (like priority boarding and cagneys)? The butler and the concierge aren't actually doing anything for you on an individual basis as any contact with the concierge is just in a group setting with other suites/VIP passengers. I certainly don't want to not give someone a tip if they have earned it, so this is a very confusing situation when you don't actually use them personally.

I look forward to hearing what folks have to say on this.

This is a tough question... Our rule of thumb in a suite is $10 per person, per day for the butler and $10 per cabin per day for the concierge - adjusting upwards for particularly good service (or requests from us), and twice adjusting downwards for noticeably poor service. Our expected use from the butler includes a few ensuite breakfasts (two or three in a week), plus the usual - delivered snacks every night, taking care of our coffee machine and extra ice, etc. We adjust upwards for any other meals delivered, any special requests or entertaining in our suite, anything that seems to "go the extra mile". For the concierge, this includes making our dining reservations, plus the included perks like priority boarding, disembarking (and luggage tags), and tendering, reserved seating, cocktail parties and tours, checking in on us, etc. Extra is given for things like helping us with port ideas (maps, etc), special requests, helping to resolve any issues we may have, basically anything that requires them to make a phone call (like signing us up for a tasting or mystery dinner, etc). We have tipped our butlers in the range from $100 to $750, and concierges from $50 to $300.

There are a lot of things that both do that are simply part of their jobs, and you may never notice, but they are still done, every day for every suite. If you don't use the butler for anything besides his normal daily duties (ie: snacks, coffee machine, ice), I would say that $100 should suffice. If you never call the concierge for reservations, etc, but still use priority services like boarding, tendering, disembarking and luggage tags, and you go to Cagney's for breakfast or lunch, I would guess that $50 would be fine. This may seem like a lot of money for "nothing", but I have noticed how that "nothing" makes a cruise much more smooth and enjoyable without hardly ever seeing the involved parties. Both work very hard behind the scenes making sure things run smoothly.

Robin

Two minor perks I have not noticed anyone mentioning are a "pillow menu" and I thought you got extra bathroom setups. Like extra large towels and extra products for your bathroom. They may have discontinued these since we were on a ship this past May, but they were offered to us on every cruise since 2.0 started.

We have never had these kind of accomodations. What does the butler do for you, what does the conceraige do and what do you tip them? What are the benifits of an AB Penthouse?

\

Hey, Randy and Stella. Enjoy your suite, your going to be spoiled. Can you tell us about your upgrade? What cat. were you in and how much extra did the upgrade cost? What ship/dates? Thanks.

Please be courteous, respectful and thankful for everything they do for you. I had read so may posts about elitist, entitled people that think butler service simply is another term for "ship slave". They are in their role because they love to help people. They love the satisfaction of making people happy and ensuring you have the best trip ever. Share it with them. Please and thank you. Little tips. A pat on the back and a handshake. I can tell from your excitement and posts you're this kind of person, so probably not saying anything you don't already know, but my last few days I've been dealing with some pretty severe medical issues and when times are tough, you can really see where good people step up with all the goodness in their heart, yet others think even the sun revolves around them. Be one of the former, like I know you will.

Sorry, my pain medication is affecting my posts today. :) Have a wonderful trip! I wish I was going in your place.

\

Hey, Randy and Stella. Enjoy your suite, your going to be spoiled. Can you tell us about your upgrade? What cat. were you in and how much extra did the upgrade cost? What ship/dates? Thanks.

We were in the lowest category balcony and the upgrade cost us $300.

\

Opps forgot, the Sky and tomorrow!

Please be courteous, respectful and thankful for everything they do for you. I had read so may posts about elitist, entitled people that think butler service simply is another term for "ship slave". They are in their role because they love to help people. They love the satisfaction of making people happy and ensuring you have the best trip ever. Share it with them. Please and thank you. Little tips. A pat on the back and a handshake. I can tell from your excitement and posts you're this kind of person, so probably not saying anything you don't already know, but my last few days I've been dealing with some pretty severe medical issues and when times are tough, you can really see where good people step up with all the goodness in their heart, yet others think even the sun revolves around them. Be one of the former, like I know you will.

Sorry, my pain medication is affecting my posts today. :) Have a wonderful trip! I wish I was going in your place.

Great advice

Butlers are not covered under the auto gratuity with other crew members. Sometimes it gets to me when I hear people complain about their butler. Whatever you ask for, they will deliver. They walk a fine line between being overly intrusive and letting you relax and not bother you.

So, I hate the threads that ask "How is the buter on this ship or suite?" Fortunately, I dont work in the service industry but I still admire how hard they work, esp for such little money.

But even if you dont have lots of money to tip, the STYLE card is the BEST way to reward a butler or any NCL crew. I was just on the Epic and when we commented on the great service, we told them we filled out STYLE cards for them. The crew was floored. They said people comment how great the service is but never let NCL know.

One night, we could not get in Moderno because it was booked. We did not want to use our suite perk to get special treatment. But the hostess still was able to work a miracle and get us a table. We got her name and filled out a style card. When we told her, she was so thrilled. It means alot to them, probably even more than a few dollars. I love to look for crew that easily get overlooked to reward. I know everyone tips that concierge or butler but dont forget the great people that haul your luggage or go that extra mile to make you feel special

Ok, I will get off my soap box this morning. My Red Bull has kicked in :)

Opps forgot, the Sky and tomorrow!

Have lots of fun! We are in 2nd highest Balcony cabin... maybe we'll get this chance too! I've got 75 days to wait though... I've been on the Sky before, back in July she's nice and I'm glad the Sun is similar layout and I won't get as lost on the first day. ;)

Two minor perks I have not noticed anyone mentioning are a "pillow menu" and I thought you got extra bathroom setups. Like extra large towels and extra products for your bathroom. They may have discontinued these since we were on a ship this past May, but they were offered to us on every cruise since 2.0 started.

I have been in an AE, A3 (2), and an OS and have yet to see this elusive menu. I even made it a point to look for it this last trip in the OS but never did find it and then forgot to ask the Emil the steward about it. It doesn't really matter though as the beds and pillows have been to die for anyway. I never sleep better than on a ship as they have the most wonderfully comfortable beds.:D So, not that I need it but curious where are these hidden or do you have to ask for them?

Great advice

Butlers are not covered under the auto gratuity with other crew members. Sometimes it gets to me when I hear people complain about their butler. Whatever you ask for, they will deliver. They walk a fine line between being overly intrusive and letting you relax and not bother you.

So, I hate the threads that ask "How is the buter on this ship or suite?" Fortunately, I dont work in the service industry but I still admire how hard they work, esp for such little money.

But even if you dont have lots of money to tip, the STYLE card is the BEST way to reward a butler or any NCL crew. I was just on the Epic and when we commented on the great service, we told them we filled out STYLE cards for them. The crew was floored. They said people comment how great the service is but never let NCL know.

One night, we could not get in Moderno because it was booked. We did not want to use our suite perk to get special treatment. But the hostess still was able to work a miracle and get us a table. We got her name and filled out a style card. When we told her, she was so thrilled. It means alot to them, probably even more than a few dollars. I love to look for crew that easily get overlooked to reward. I know everyone tips that concierge or butler but dont forget the great people that haul your luggage or go that extra mile to make you feel special

Ok, I will get off my soap box this morning. My Red Bull has kicked in :)

I do agree completely with you and SDMike about how we should treat people (not just Butlers 8-)). I will tell you though we had a HORROR of a butler on the Star, our first cruise to Alaska. To make a huge long story short, (we didn't know this part at the time), but he basically had been told he was being let go at the end of this cruise.. so the last morning, as we were arriving in Seattle, at 6:30AM he calls our suite and askes if he could come in, that it was urgent. It caught us so off guard, still being asleep, that Doug said yes. Within less than a minute, before I could even get out of bed and put any clothes on, he was knocking at the door and came right in. Didn't even give us time to answer the door. I can't remember how he worded it, but was all in a panic as "something had come up and he would not be able to see us later in the day" and wanted to know if we had any "thank you" for him. He had been an OK butler that week, nothing special, in fact, was almost bad, but, we had a tip in a thank you note for him anyway. I told Doug where it was so he could give it to the guy and then the Butler left. Soon after there was a knock at the door and it was our cabin stewards and they were apologizing over and over and over.. saying they had tried to stop him in the hallway from coming in, but they couldn't.

At the same time, I remember our sweet Butler on the Pearl. We are really don't use the Butler very often and that week I don't believe we even had him bring us room service. We called him in the next to last day of the cruise to give him his tip and literally we had to talk him into taking it. He said he didn't feel right taking it because we didn't let him do anything for us. He was a doll and had just the right touch on checking in with us to see if we needed anything. Not there too much, but there just enough.

We have had great service with NCL, and not just Butlers, but with their crews in general. That's one reason we love them so much. 8-)

EDIT: and I forgot to mention that S.T.Y.L.E cards are like gold to the crew. It makes their day when they find out you have filled one out on them.

I have been in an AE, A3 (2), and an OS and have yet to see this elusive menu. I even made it a point to look for it this last trip in the OS but never did find it and then forgot to ask the Emil the steward about it. It doesn't really matter though as the beds and pillows have been to die for anyway. I never sleep better than on a ship as they have the most wonderfully comfortable beds.:D So, not that I need it but curious where are these hidden or do you have to ask for them?

We were in the DOS on the Gem Nov 27th and we had the pillow menu waiting for us in the room. I love the memory foam pillows! No DVD's available though. Had a DVD player but no DVD's available to actually be able to use it.

I have a question. Have all of you whom have been offered an upsell booked directly through NCL, or has anyone booked through a TA and been offered one?

A few years ago we were offered an upsell from a mini-suite to an AB on the Dawn. We ALWAYS book through a travel agent -- not an online travel agent. Using a travel agent gives us the comfort that we are protected in any situation. Plus it does not cost anything more.

Archived