Mazatlan El Faro review

RSF Cruiser

If you are looking for some physical activity close to the ship in Mazatlan, walking to the El Faro trail head is an easy trip. I stumbled across a short description of El Faro and decided to go there. It is supposedly the world's second tallest natural lighthouse (per Anne Vipond's Panama Canal guide book). You see El Faro when you come into port and from the ship - it's the light house on top of the hill on the northern side of the harbor. When you come out of the port area, turn left and walk toward the hillside - It was about a 20-30 minute flat walk from the ship. You go past an elementary and secondary school, port/fishing vendors, restaurants, a sewage plant (yes, there was a foul odor), and then the trail head. The hike has a 500 foot elevation gain over about a 25 minute hike, so I'm guessing the distance is about 1 mile. It's on a well maintained trail (I did the hike in Teva's), and the views are incredible - great shots of the port, ship, and coastline too. At the top is a light house and a 360 degree panoramic view. After we did the hike, we turned left along the coastal street and went to the overlooks on the Malecon (you can see them as you walk). No taxi's, no tour, no fees, just beautiful scenery and a bit of well needed physical activity!

Thanks for writing. I was thinking of doing this and walking along the malecon. We have been to Mazatlan before and were looking for new places to walk.

Were there other people around or were you out there alone?

We felt completely safe walking to El Faro, on the trail, and along the Malecon. You walk along a street with frequent cabs, pulmonaria, cars, and trucks. On the trail we saw a few groups of people - four local teenagers, a few cruise ship passengers, and that was it. Even the Malecon was not crouded where we were. There were enough people to feel safe, but not too many to ruin the views and "wildnerness". Have fun!

yes, thank you for the info. my husband wanted to do this and booked through the ship, then i read some info on here that it is easy to do it yourself.

so, now we are going to do it on our own. we were going to take a taxi, wasn't sure how safe the walk was from the ship. nice to hear it was ok.

so glad i searched for this!

thanks, again!

yes, thank you for the info. my husband wanted to do this and booked through the ship, then i read some info on here that it is easy to do it yourself.

so, now we are going to do it on our own. we were going to take a taxi, wasn't sure how safe the walk was from the ship. nice to hear it was ok.

so glad i searched for this!

thanks, again!

If you are concerned, take a taxi to El Faro - that way you can see the neighborhood, the route, etc, and then if you feel comfortable, walk back. We took a little detour on the way back by going along the malecon and loved the freedom of being able to stay for as long as we wanted with no one waiting for us.

If you are concerned, take a taxi to El Faro - that way you can see the neighborhood, the route, etc, and then if you feel comfortable, walk back. We took a little detour on the way back by going along the malecon and loved the freedom of being able to stay for as long as we wanted with no one waiting for us.

great idea! thanks!

We hiked up to the lighthouse last time we were in Mazatlan, but this time, the fog was pretty thick so we decided against it. However, right at the edge of the historic section of town, which is well worth a long stroll, you can walk up Icebox Hill, which isn't nearly as tall as the lighthouse, but gives some excellent views of town and harbor, too.

Yes this is a very nice excursion to do on your own. Peaceful, cheap, and rewarding when you get to the top. We did this our very first time to Mazatlan. Just a thing to think about...when we went it was about 95 degrees and when you hike up the hill, the sun is facing right on you so it could be challenging just due to the heat. And we went mid morning so be prepared with water and sweat towel. We had to stop several times in the shade so don't go if you're short on time. Plus when you get to the top, you will probably want to stay up there for awhile to rest and enjoy the view. Here is your view at the top.

2iw3ce1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Archived