Is one day in Alexandria enough to see the pyramids?

Prairie_Gal

I am looking at a sailing on the MSC Splendida that docks in Alexandria from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. Is that enough time to travel to Cairo and see the pyramids? I have read that Cairo is about 3 hours from the port. Is that right? Has anyone ever sailed on the Splendida?

I'm sure Costa will offer this as a shore excursion -- is there a way you can look and see?

I was on a Holland America cruise this fall that just stopped in Alexandria for a day. They offered tours that visited the pyramids and sphinx (these are at same location) and a quick visit to the museum, then back to the ship. I think there may have been a couple of options.

Of course, two days (or longer) is better. I have been to Egypt several times so I didn't mind the one-day stop; it gave me a chance to see some of Alexandria.

From Alexandria MSC offers several all-day excursions by bus to Cairo - one will go to the Egyptian Museum, one to Coptic Cairo, one to Sakkara and the pyramids around Memphis, but all or most will definitely stop at the pyramids of Giza and the sphinx. Lunch is included in the tour price (one tour offers lunch on a floating restaurant on the Nile). Bus travel time is 3+ hours each way, depending on the weather and traffic conditions in Cairo. There is no worry about missing the ship at the end of the day because it will wait for the MSC excursion buses to return (not the private tours). The Splendida is a beautiful ship and you will enjoy the cruise.

You'll find more info in the CC MSC forum and the MSC ship/cruise reviews.

I am looking at a sailing on the MSC Splendida that docks in Alexandria from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. Is that enough time to travel to Cairo and see the pyramids? I have read that Cairo is about 3 hours from the port. Is that right? Has anyone ever sailed on the Splendida?

We just returned from a cruise on the Magnifica

For the trip from Alexandria we can recommend http://www.youregypttours.com/egypt-...ore-excursions

We had a great journey with them, very good guide (tarek_slow@hotmail.com)

Certainly recommend them

Hello Prairie_Gal

Have you booked your cruise yet? Which day will you be in Alexandria?

I am already booked on the MSC Splendida departing Genoa on 28 Feb 2011 and we will be in Alexandria on 4th March. I am also interested in finding out what's possible and what's not whilst in port. :confused:

Regards

JetsetterSue

Dear Prairie Gal

You ABSOLUTELY have enough time to see the Giza pyramids. I did it twice from two cruises this past year.

Take small US bills for bargaining.

Be safe.

Enjoy!!

Since your ship doesn't sail until 11 p.m., you may even be able to fit in an early evening sound and light show at the Sphinx. Several excursion providers include that in a one-day shot from Alexandria.

What time is the show? Isn't that cutting it really close?

The light show is a definite "tourist trap"...sorry about that, and it is something that you can definitely miss! There are two pyramid sites, the step and bent pyramids are in Sakkara, and the large pyramids and Sphinx are in Giza. The Giza pyramids are a beautiful sight, and that is where you can even ride the camels...that is a must. You can get fantastic pictures and it is just amazing to see how large they are! It is really good to have single dollars, as that helps in the bartering with the "vendors" which can get noisy! Enjoy....:)

I hope it all calms down over there, it is a trip of a lifetime...we spent 10 days through Egypt, and still did not see it all. It just boggles the mind to see such sights and beauty in the Tut exhibits.

This is pretty much a moot point at this point, due to the insanity going on, but let's assume this is resolved by the time you cruise and everyone is happy.

We went to Egypt this past May. We had 2 days in Alexandria, so basically everyone went down on Day 1 to Cairo.

We booked a private tour and our bus was due back at the ship (as per the contract) at 9pm. We had plenty of time to do everything on our itinerary (really we could've spent weeks there, but that's always true) and get back to the ship.

Apparently, about 5 minutes behind our bus there was a HUGE accident on the highway back from Cairo. Our bus pulled up to an empty boat. We got on the boat, which was a ghost town and we had a late dinner in an empty dining room.

We wandered around the ship for at least an hour after we ate... still no one.

About 11:30 the first buses began to arrive back. Some didn't arrive back until after 2:00am.

My point? If 75 buses don't make it back by 11:00pm on your 1-day in port cruise, there is a 0% chance of it leaving. If 3 non-ship tours don't... it probably will. I'd make sure your driver has a cell that can call the ship if you push your day into the late evening.

Archived