Fear of Heights - Open areas

Hi everyone. We will be on the March 13 Allure of the Seas cruise and this will be our first time cruising with Royal Caribbean. My husband has a fear of heights when he is around open areas such as two story malls or any hotel that has an open floor plan, where you can look over the side (open center area) and look down and see the stories below. I have reviewed the ship deck plan with him and how the pools are laid out. I'm concerned this may be too much for him. Does anyone have any good photos they could post so that we may take a look at this closer. We have cruised two other times, once on Disney cruise lines and last year on the Carnival Dream. He had no problems on those ships. The layout on this ship look like it could be problematic, but hard to tell from what we've seen from brief snips, clips and photos so far.

Is there any closed elevators you can take up to the pool deck area? He also wants to stay away from the open glass elevators.

Any help or advise you have would be greatly appreciated.

ME from NC

Hi! We are also on your cruise. You should definetly join our roll-call, it is very active. I have a small fear of heights. Im sorry I cant help you with allure, but I have been on another RCCL ship and didnt have a problem. I find that not leaning over railings or holding on to railings when walking down stairs helps me a lot.

Have you tried Flickr? Put Oasis or Allure of the Sea's in the search...

If your husband can be on deck and look out as if on ground level than he should be okay but it is deffinatly a ship with many open viewing area's.

From pool decks looking down to Boardwalk or Central park he may have a problem.

As for elevators they did have some that were not all glass and open viewing.

Patty

Hi everyone. We will be on the March 13 Allure of the Seas cruise and this will be our first time cruising with Royal Caribbean. My husband has a fear of heights when he is around open areas such as two story malls or any hotel that has an open floor plan, where you can look over the side (open center area) and look down and see the stories below. I have reviewed the ship deck plan with him and how the pools are laid out. I'm concerned this may be too much for him. Does anyone have any good photos they could post so that we may take a look at this closer. We have cruised two other times, once on Disney cruise lines and last year on the Carnival Dream. He had no problems on those ships. The layout on this ship look like it could be problematic, but hard to tell from what we've seen from brief snips, clips and photos so far.

Is there any closed elevators you can take up to the pool deck area? He also wants to stay away from the open glass elevators.

ME from NC

here's a link to pictures

http://s754.photobucket.com/albums/x...ears%20cruise/

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the pictures and advise. I can see that this might be a problem, but we'll see if we can't manage. Even for me, who has a small fear of heights, it's probably best not to look down for too long.

We are excited about the cruise:)

ME from NC

Allue of the Seas March 13th - Sea You there!:p

Carnival Dream Spring 2010

Disney Wonder Spring 2008

ME from NC

My husband has a terrible fear of heights, it actually runs in the family. His dad has it too. We just sailed allow the 2nd week of January and he said this was his favorite ship of the 7 cruises we have taken. He couldn't handle the view from Deck 15 looking down on the Boardwalk or looking down into Central park. He was able to take the open glass elevators without problems. Your hubby does not have to go to the open air areas. My hubby absolutely loved this ship, despite his fear. Hopefully it is not a problem for yours.

I have a somewhat irrational fear of heights, but over the years I've learned to battle it. I can get nauseas thinking about someone else in a high situation. I've learned to deal with balconies and situations like that by standing with my feet a little further apart for stability and stepping back about a foot as well. He could also just watch the elevator doors and the buttons while on the elevator. It helps to think of the glass as a wall and not a window.

I'm certain that if I was in a real dangerous situation I would be a frozen statue that rescue forces would have a hard time with, but I am trusting of technology and have no fear of flying even in a window seat. I think a lot of it is trust issues, maybe you have a mall you can work on that at? I have been fighting it for 40 years and I even went parasailing in Cozumel in '09. I hated it and was terrified the whole way, but I did it for my wife would couldn't go alone.

I'm too high up in this photo to show my fear, but look at the body language.

para1.jpg

I've also learned to conquer ski lifts as well, but on 3 person lifts I have to be on one end, so I can hold on.

Very useful pictures given the subject Brian. As I stated in my post, I could handle this by keeping my feet apart and a half step from the edge along with the fact that the railings are well above waist height. I am going to give the zip line a try. It well help me knowing that if anything did happen, my wife would cruise free for life (waiver's be dammed ;) )

Very useful pictures given the subject Brian.

Thanks! I thought so.

Zip line is a blast! Very easy to do. (Barring a fear of heights, of course.)

OP - you might want to stick to the Solarium pool. It's generally closed in and well set in from the edge. Might be the perfect place to spend your afternoons.

Oh! And as for the elevators, there are open and closed ones as other RCCL ships with open plans. You can certainly stick to the closed ones without issue.

Just returned from Allure 23-30 Jan cruise. Suggest you and your husband take elevator that goes directly to pool deck 15 Get out and walk straight ahead; you won't see anything down below. Don't go back by the sports deck at the back of the ship; this area looks directly down to the Boardwalk. Suggest you hang out on the Royal Promenade; nice area. and no fear of heights there.

Archived