Daytime Apparel in Grill Class

Palmetto Lady

We are doing a crossing on the QM2 in the Queen's Grill class in early June. What do most people (especially women) wear during the day? I am aware of the evening dress codes, but how casual is "casual"? Is it high end designer or what?? We will be coming off a week's tour in Ireland and there are luggage limitations.

I would say that whatever you wear around Ireland at that time of year would be suitable on board - I wore casual skirts, cropped trousers or jeans on cooler days. I was in QG but QG day wear is no different to the rest of the ship - whatever you feel comfortable in (that goes for your wallet too :-) ) will be fine. Have a great time.

We are doing a crossing on the QM2 in the Queen's Grill class in early June. What do most people (especially women) wear during the day? I am aware of the evening dress codes, but how casual is "casual"? Is it high end designer or what?? We will be coming off a week's tour in Ireland and there are luggage limitations.

We were in the Grills our last 2 trips. Just dress as you would at home(if you're a nudist...)You can dress up at night according to the night's dresscode.

Unless you are physically in the Queens Grill lounge or the Queens/Princess Grill restaurants you will be mingling with Britannia passengers.

You'll find that you won't be able to differentiate and that during the day the dress code is relaxed and generally stylish - well it was on our transatlantic crossing, there wasn't anyone in tracksuits or 'gardening clothes'.

There are always anomalies, but generally speaking, from the experiences of most, it seems the majority of people make an effort during their time on the QM2.

You needn't worry overly much about your daytime attire in the Grills restaurants but we fellow passengers will very much appreciate the effort you might put to to refrain, as others failed to do on our January Caribbean run on QM2, from wearing "hoodies" (hooded sweatshirts), shorts and sandals, baseball caps, jeans and the like in the restaurant. The great majority of passengers in the Grills make an effort as a function of simple politeness.

Enjoy!

Unless you are physically in the Queens Grill lounge or the Queens/Princess Grill restaurants you will be mingling with Britannia passengers.

You'll find that you won't be able to differentiate and that during the day the dress code is relaxed and generally stylish - well it was on our transatlantic crossing, there wasn't anyone in tracksuits or 'gardening clothes'.

You are quite right of course. Dress code in all areas of the ship during the day is very casual, even in the Queens Grill Lounge and other 'Grill' areas.

As for your comment on 'mingling' with Britannia pax, well then if you must lower yourself dear, be sure to take an oar with you:rolleyes:

Best

Judy

I've travelled in PG and QG, and just wore jeans/sweaters during the day..
I travel PG too, and QG if upgraded, and during the day I wear striped (the more colorful, the better) long sleeve shirts and slacks.

As for your comment on 'mingling' with Britannia pax, well then if you must lower yourself dear, be sure to take an oar with you:rolleyes:

What's the fuss about? What else would people be doing on a ship but mingling with others.

I can see Judy's point. Deck 11 for the Hot tub and daytime goodies; Deck 9 for the majority of QG suites, the C Club, the fantastic Concierge for a chat, sandwiches, newspapers, pastries, coffee etc (no need to go to the Pursers Office); & Deck 7 for the QGL and QG itself.

The layout if the ship is probably to blame and given that most of the other public rooms are down on decks 3&4 it is quite quite possible never to venture below Deck 7 which is a pity. QM2 is a beautiful ship and I have met such interesting people whilst on board.

Come on Judy, get your oars out and start mingling.

Oh and as for daywear in the QG, it's just like any other good restaurant, it has excellent service and food, but is relaxed and VERY unstuffy. The hardest part is that it is so difficult to adjust back to real life once you return home.......

Remember it's your holiday so relax and enjoy.

:-)

I can see Judy's point. Deck 11 for the Hot tub and daytime goodies; Deck 9 for the majority of QG suites, the C Club, the fantastic Concierge for a chat, sandwiches, newspapers, pastries, coffee etc (no need to go to the Pursers Office); & Deck 7 for the QGL and QG itself.

The layout if the ship is probably to blame and given that most of the other public rooms are down on decks 3&4 it is quite quite possible never to venture below Deck 7 which is a pity. QM2 is a beautiful ship and I have met such interesting people whilst on board.

Come on Judy, get your oars out and start mingling.

Oh and as for daywear in the QG, it's just like any other good restaurant, it has excellent service and food, but is relaxed and VERY unstuffy. The hardest part is that it is so difficult to adjust back to real life once you return home.......

Remember it's your holiday so relax and enjoy.

:-)

You are absolutely right of course, except l beg to differ on the excellent service and on some occasions the food.....it does tend to vary somewhat between a crossing and a cruise. I am talking about the grills here.

As for my oars....well l guess l must start to be more sociable in future and forget about the past.

Although l always found the oars on QE2 to be well up to muster;)

Best

Judy

There are always anomalies, but generally speaking, from the experiences of most, it seems the majority of people make an effort during their time on the QM2.

We usually wear nice shorts & polo style shirts at lunc. Then we follow the eve. dresscode.

This is a very interesting thread. So many options. I think I would say wear what you would wear if you met your friends for lunch at an upscale restaurant. Based on what I have seen at breakfasts, brunches and lunches, I have yet to see a woman who is not dressed to the nines for the occasion. Dress that way and you will be not only fine, but absolutely perfect.

Mike

Cunard's website used to say that shorts were not allowed in the Grills at any time. Now it says:

During the day casual shirts, shorts, trousers and beachwear are ideal.

The main restaurants require a casual wear dress code for breakfast and lunch, however you may wear shorts in either the Kings Court or Lido Cafe

But it doesn't seem to say what the daytime "casual wear dress code" is.

Cunard's website used to say that shorts were not allowed in the Grills at any time. Now it says:

During the day casual shirts, shorts, trousers and beachwear are ideal.

The main restaurants require a casual wear dress code for breakfast and lunch, however you may wear shorts in either the Kings Court or Lido Cafe

But it doesn't seem to say what the daytime "casual wear dress code" is.

I suspect that the reason for that is that the ships dock at many tropical ports where shorts would be appropriate for excursions. It would be too confusing to have different dress coded for different days, I would think.

I'm new to this cruise critic thing, I think I'm done at least with this Cunard thread. I see nothing but a bunch of stuck up or wannabe stuck up people just trying to impress each other, this is disgusting. Especially the person who posted this question.

If you are going to be insulting, then good riddance!

If you are going to be insulting, then good riddance!

Anyone traveling Queens grill class surely doesn't ask what to wear on a message board. When I traveled Queens grill on QE2 you saw everything. There were people not very dressed up and didn't care and people extremely dressed up that obviously did. I packed smart casual clothes for daytime wear. I do not buy high end designer clothing, its a total waste of money. There are great things you can buy at a reasonable cost that look great. It sounds like you are traveling westbound on 3 Jun. I will traveling eastbound on 10 Jun, fortunately.

Anyone traveling Queens grill class surely doesn't ask what to wear on a message board. When I traveled Queens grill on QE2 you saw everything. There were people not very dressed up and didn't care and people extremely dressed up that obviously did. I packed smart casual clothes for daytime wear. I do not buy high end designer clothing, its a total waste of money. There are great things you can buy at a reasonable cost that look great. It sounds like you are traveling westbound on 3 Jun. I will traveling eastbound on 10 Jun, fortunately.

Interesting that you dislike this little band so much yet still, you ask its' members for car hire advice on another thread which you have started. I wouldn't expect too many answers. Btw I think that the question by the OP was perfectly OK as she just wanted to fit in with the other QG guests. If you are flying, nowadays there are severe restrictions on the luggage that you can bring and hence the amount of clothes that will be available.

Archived