Versailles in less than a day...can it be done?

Anubi

If we concentrate on the Palace itself, can Versailles be done in less than one day? We have to catch a train to Venice later than evening that we cannot miss. If we get to Versailles early enough in the morning and concentrate on what we want to see will it be enough? I'd say we'd have to leave Versailles no later than 3:30 pm - 4:00 pm. :confused:

If the question is Versailles or Paris. well, yes you can. Why you would want to is another question. I think a full day of Paris would be more fulfilling than a dash out to Versailles. At Versailles you will touch one small part of Parisian and French history. In the city you get a bit of the breadth.

We have not been yet so take this with that in mind but we plan on visiting this coming summer in our four day Paris layover. If you get at the gate early, I believe you can see a pretty significant portion in the time frame you mention. The garden actually opens at 8:00 so you can spend an hour there prior to the Chateau opening. That would give you 6 to 6.5 hours (leaving a little time to get back to the train). That is alot of time for the Chateau. I can't imagine spending that much time there. You could even take the available golf carts back to Domaine de Marie Antoinette and probably see a good portion of that.

Kirk

We have not been yet so take this with that in mind but we plan on visiting this coming summer in our four day Paris layover. If you get at the gate early, I believe you can see a pretty significant portion in the time frame you mention. The garden actually opens at 8:00 so you can spend an hour there prior to the Chateau opening. That would give you 6 to 6.5 hours (leaving a little time to get back to the train). That is alot of time for the Chateau. I can't imagine spending that much time there. You could even take the available golf carts back to Domaine de Marie Antoinette and probably see a good portion of that.

Kirk

We'll be doing the high points of Paris the day before. ;) No way I'd miss that. We just weren't sure that we could do Versailles in a day. Actually I wasn't aware it was that close to Paris or that accessable...I've done some research since posting this.

Thanks for your info. Its appreciated.

Yes, it can be done. I spent probably 1/2 a day there this summer, but only saw the Palace and the gardens. I agree with KirkNC, you NEED to get there when it opens (if not a little bit before). We were there before the gates officially opened...the line was really long behind us. The gardens are gorgeous and vast...you can rent bicycles and go for a ride, or visit the restaurant for lunch.

Yes, it can be done. I spent probably 1/2 a day there this summer, but only saw the Palace and the gardens. I agree with KirkNC, you NEED to get there when it opens (if not a little bit before). We were there before the gates officially opened...the line was really long behind us. The gardens are gorgeous and vast...you can rent bicycles and go for a ride, or visit the restaurant for lunch.

Thanks, that's what I needed to hear. What time of year did you go? We're going mid-October and wondering if the crowds will be as bad.

Thanks, that's what I needed to hear. What time of year did you go? We're going mid-October and wondering if the crowds will be as bad.

I was goong to reply the same to this,and Oct should be easier then say the summer months.Concentrate on what YOU want to see and you will be just fine.Enjoy.

If we concentrate on the Palace itself, can Versailles be done in less than one day? We have to catch a train to Venice later than evening that we cannot miss. If we get to Versailles early enough in the morning and concentrate on what we want to see will it be enough? I'd say we'd have to leave Versailles no later than 3:30 pm - 4:00 pm. :confused:

As others have noted, it is possible. There is however, lots and lots to see, BOTH inside this spectacular palace, plus all around on the grounds, in the gardens. Since you are looking at October, the crowds will be less. Seeking to doing a short visit for a half day might be easier as the gardens are not at "peak" and will make it easier to focus your time on the palace interiors. The inside tour will do a great job explaining the unique daily life of the King, Queen, birth of a child, etc. You'll walk through the rooms where they lived, partied, worshiped, etc. Major treaties were done here. Very, very interesting and historic. Here are some added notes and info on Versailles.

VERSAILLES: By suburban subway/train (RER-C5 line, from St-Michel, every 15 minutes) or train (30 minutes) from Saint Lazare; started being built in 1660's for Sun King Louis XIV (during 1661 to 1715 period, involved 32,000 to 45,000 workers) in French classical architectural style; conceived as a world unto itself as seat of government, permanent residence of the royal family and the cream of nobility, was previously modest hunting lodge in swampy area; palace highlight is 236-foot long Hall of Mirrors where the treaty was signed ending WWI; a three-year restoration of this spectacular Hall of Mirrors was just completed in June 2007; through 2020, they are completing a $455 million project to upgrade Versailles with cleanings, new roofs, other restorations, etc.; this property has 700 rooms, 2,153 windows, 352 chimneys and 28 acres of roof; in the huge garden areas are Grand Canal, Grand Trianon, Petit Trianon and Hameau used by Marie Antoinette; town population of 100,000; possible bus tour or car drive options out to Versailles; open 9:45-5, park open sunrise to sunset; tour palace first and gardens later (closed Monday). From this website (http://www.chateauversailles.fr/en), you can get more detailed information.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 29,860 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone going to Versailles and spent time at Marie Antoinette's village? I am leading a group there (on a land tour) and we will be spending time at the Palace and gardens, but I'm curious to know if it's "worth it". I've seen a few photos and it looks gorgeous...I'd like to see it, but I'm not sure if the rest of my group would be as excited as I am. If you have been there, how long did you spend there? Is there a lot to see?

Thanks!

Archived