The Oceania experience: more like Regent or a small Holland ship?

wingit

We've sailed premium lines (Holland) and luxury (Seabourn and Regent) and I get the impression that Oceania is sort of somewhere in between those two experiences. Could anyone with similar sailing experience as ours tell me if this is a more or less accurate assessment?

We're considering the Marina March 28 Trans Atlantic. I'm doing a little research so I can give my husband an idea of what we could expect.

Also, I know Oceania is not all inclusive, but is a complimentary in-suite mini bar included? I've read conflicting things about complimentary sodas and beers, etc.

Thanks in advance for any opinions or information

Also, I know Oceania is not all inclusive, but is a complimentary in-suite mini bar included? I've read conflicting things about complimentary sodas and beers, etc.

On Oceania, water and soft drinks (unlimited) are included in your stateroom fridge, but they don't include a complimentary mini-bar of liquor and beer. However, they seem unconcerned about passengers bringing their own personal stock of liquor and wine onboard. :)

wingit,

Here is my take on this (I have sailed HAL, Regent and Silversea, but not Seabourn yet).

Oceania is definitely better than HAL and IME also better than Regent (and more reasonably priced too). If there is a drawback with Oceania, it is the size of their standard cabins and especially the small bathroom. This should be much improved on the Marina and of course, it is a non-issue if you sail in a suite.

I think you will love Oceania like most people on this board do. Please give it a try and judge for yourself.

If you've ever been on Prinsendam, I would say that the Oceania experience is roughly on par with that. But Oceania is a much better experience, in my opinion, than any of the larger HAL ships.

My one (and so far only) cruise on Regent was the most luxurious cruise I have ever taken, but also far, far more expensive than I pay for Oceania.

We've sailed premium lines (Holland) and luxury (Seabourn and Regent) and I get the impression that Oceania is sort of somewhere in between those two experiences.

We're considering the Marina March 28 Trans Atlantic. I'm doing a little research so I can give my husband an idea of what we could expect

Nobody has yet sailed on Marina, so there's no first-hand info available. But stay tuned for "live from" reports from those who set sail on the Maiden Voyage tomorrow. Soon we'll all know.

I think you got the pecking order right: HAL, Oceania, Seabourn/Regent. Oceania is a solid step above HAL on virtually all counts, although the differences may be less apparent when comparing the R class ships of Oceania to HAL Prinsendam. Marina will have about the same occupancy as the S and R class ships of HAL.

I think Marina will be the ultimate Oceania experience. I believe it will be a game changer for Oceania and perhaps for the entire industry. I don't think there is another ship out there that compares with what Marina will offer at its price point. It's kind of a hybrid of upper premium meets luxury.

Thank you all for your helpful responses. It sounds as though Oceania is uniquely positioned as "luxe lite" (great term, MightyQuinn!). Perhaps what detracts it from qualifying as full luxury is the lack of all inclusiveness and maybe the passenger capacity? Anyway, from everything I've read it sounds as though it has great appeal. The trans Atlantic has a great itinerary as well.

I will definitely keep tabs on the Marina Maiden Voyage thread.

Thanks again.

Oceania offers a far more superior product, even when compared with the Prinsendam.

I can't say I agree. While it is undoubtedly true that Oceania offers a far superior product when compared with Holland America overall, Prinsendam is in a class by itself within the Holland America line. In fact it used to be part of Seabourne (and before that, Royal Viking Line).

I've sailed Oceania 8 times and Prinsendam once (in 2008 -- before the refit). IMO Prinsendam and Oceania are on par -- both incredible experiences.

The ship itself does not matter so much as the company running it. The Prinsendam is not the same experience now as when Royal Viking ran it. It's true it's a nicer experience than the mega ships in HAL but it's still not Oceania.

The ship itself does not matter so much as the company running it. The Prinsendam is not the same experience now as when Royal Viking ran it. It's true it's a nicer experience than the mega ships in HAL but it's still not Oceania.

We totally agree with Wripro. The exquisite service was the magic thing about Prinsendams' Royal Viking voyages, and that lingered on during the Cunard, and Seaborne days, when she was regularly voted the most luxurious ship afloat.

Today, although Prinsendam is patently seen as HALS showpiece, the staffing levels and food budgets just dont allow for anything like that kind of an experience. To be fair, the fares reflect that fact.

....The exquisite service was the magic thing about Prinsendams' Royal Viking voyages, and that lingered on during the Cunard, and Seaborne days, when she was regularly voted the most luxurious ship afloat.
StanandJim, did you sail Prinsendam when she was Royal Viking Sun? It must have been magic!

Prinsendam is indeed show-boated as the Elegant Explorer of the HAL fleet. But as Wripro says, the ship doesn't matter as much as the cruise line in charge. The on-board elements on Prinsendam (food, stateroom amenities, service) are still distinctly HAL. No better and no worse. But alas, HAL extracts a premium for Prinsendam sailings and pricing is often equal to or higher than Oceania for similar itineraries and categories.

StanandJim, did you sail Prinsendam when she was Royal Viking Sun? It must have been magic!

Prinsendam is indeed show-boated as the Elegant Explorer of the HAL fleet. But as Wripro says, the ship doesn't matter as much as the cruise line in charge. The on-board elements on Prinsendam (food, stateroom amenities, service) are still distinctly HAL. No better and no worse. But alas, HAL extracts a premium for Prinsendam sailings and pricing is often equal to or higher than Oceania for similar itineraries and categories.

Yes, I (Jim) did sail on the Sun when she was with Royal Viking, but it was in a much different era.......my father was paying the freight! :rolleyes:

When the ship went to HAL, we were all agog at the HUGE DROP in her fares, but that was nine years ago! OUCH!! Where do the years go?

You're right, they are charging Oceania prices these days, and they should be ashamed of themselves :mad:

Yes, I (Jim) did sail on the Sun when she was with Royal Viking, but it was in a much different era.......my father was paying the freight! <snip> You're right, they are charging Oceania prices these days, and they should be ashamed of themselves.
Jim, lucky you to have sailed Royal Viking Sun back in the day, especially since Dad paid! I would have loved that experience.

Yeah, HAL has a good gig going with Prinsendam. Despite higher prices, it enjoys the highest % of repeat pax on any HAL ship and usually sails at or near capacity. Go figure.

Archived