Pointless Emerald

bouhunter

I'd have to go back and look again to be sure, but I it appears the only difference between Platinum and Emerald C&A membership is that Emerald gets a snack and a bottle of water?? We just missed becoming Emerald in the switch over, I'm so disappointed!!! :rolleyes:

I'd have to go back and look again to be sure, but I it appears the only difference between Platinum and Emerald C&A membership is that Emerald gets a snack and a bottle of water?? We just missed becoming Emerald in the switch over, I'm so disappointed!!! :rolleyes:

I think the balcony discount will be higher than that for Platinum, as well, but that info doesn't seem to have been published yet.

And yes bouhunter the balcony discount is higher for Emerald!:)

Come on guys...there's the snazzy lapel pin that the Emerald cruisers will be getting too!!

Gee whiz...:D

I haven't seen my snazzy platinum pin yet. Just so I know, do they send those to you, or deliver them to you on your first cruise as a Platty?

I haven't seen my snazzy platinum pin yet. Just so I know, do they send those to you, or deliver them to you on your first cruise as a Platty?

When we got ours we found them on our beds one night next to the cruise compass. Oh and are they snazzy too!:D:D

Well, there's also the "priority waitlist seating request in the main dining room." In my cynical view of things, I figure they had to create a new tier because the upped the criteria for reaching diamond. Unfortunately, they didn't put much effort in figuring out how this new tier would be better than platinum.

Ahhh...the elusive lapel pins...when I called because hubby & I had never gotten ours, we were told to go to guest services on our next cruise and see if they have any. Like I'm really going to be thinking about a silly lapel pin while I'm cruising the deep blue?!?! :confused:

Well, there's also the "priority waitlist seating request in the main dining room." In my cynical view of things, I figure they had to create a new tier because the upped the criteria for reaching diamond. Unfortunately, they didn't put much effort in figuring out how this new tier would be better than platinum.

That starting to make since to me

I think it is psychological. By changing catagories you make the customer feel like he/she has achieved something without actually having to give them anything that impacts expense to the company and the company prolongs the trip to diamond status. It is a win-win for the company that makes excellent business sense.

I think it is psychological. By changing catagories you make the customer feel like he/she has achieved something without actually having to give them anything that impacts expense to the company and the company prolongs the trip to diamond status. It is a win-win for the company that makes excellent business sense.

I agree that it's psychological and makes the customer think that they have progressed in status. At the same time, if the customer actually looks at the difference between platinum and emerald, they will likely be disappointed as the differences are nearly imperceptible. There are other non-financial benefits (for example, priority departure) that they could have provided to better distinguish the level from platinum.

I usually just lurk and check out all the info but the changes have done one thing for me... It gave me the will to look at other cruise lines. I was platinum and now have 52 pts. The next level is sad, the difference being a beverage! To get to the next level involves almost a month of sailing. Not going to happen anytime soon with two kids in college! I wanted to jump on the hurry up and get to Diamond train last year but...again, couldn't do it.

I probably would have just cruised with RCl since the are many places I have yet to visit. But now I will look at all cruises to see what fits my budget and time.

I very much enjoy RCL and only took 1 cruise that was not with them.I will continue to book cruises with RCL if all the factor work out.

Ahhh...the elusive lapel pins...when I called because hubby & I had never gotten ours, we were told to go to guest services on our next cruise and see if they have any. Like I'm really going to be thinking about a silly lapel pin while I'm cruising the deep blue?!?! :confused:

I got mine on the cruise after reaching platinum. It was with our cruise compass (in an envelope) on the second or third night.

I did just look at the whole benefits chart. I agree, Emerald will be a depressing upgrade. I wish they would have included a few other items to differentiate. I know the balcony discount is a little more, but that's all. I shouldn't complain as I did make out a lot better than if I just started cruising under the new system. Just seems they could have done something more for this new "interim" level. Maybe there will be something better in the new Emerald coupon books. LOL

I did just look at the whole benefits chart. I agree, Emerald will be a depressing upgrade. I wish they would have included a few other items to differentiate. I know the balcony discount is a little more, but that's all. I shouldn't complain as I did make out a lot better than if I just started cruising under the new system. Just seems they could have done something more for this new "interim" level. Maybe there will be something better in the new Emerald coupon books. LOL

I'm hoping for at least some upgraded coupons...

I wonder if cruises that have a C&A savings coupon will have different discounts for platinum and Emerald. I know that they have more value when you go from gold to platinum. I have had the chance to use these coupons on a couple of cruises.

Archived