Weather in Russia in Summer?

Kellie Poodle

We are going to Russia in late June to do the Volga River on AMA (Moscow to St. Petersburg). We finish the cruise on July 5.

I am hoping that someone here has done a Volga cruise in the early summer and can advise me what type of clothing to bring. I'm usually the one in the room who is cold.

I read the "average" temps on the Internet and it doesn't really help.

Thanks in advance.

We are going to Russia in late June to do the Volga River on AMA (Moscow to St. Petersburg). We finish the cruise on July 5.

I am hoping that someone here has done a Volga cruise in the early summer and can advise me what type of clothing to bring. I'm usually the one in the room who is cold.

I read the "average" temps on the Internet and it doesn't really help.

Thanks in advance.

Russia can be hot in the summer, or not. If you are the one in the room who is always cold, then bring layers (sweaters and wraps) for comfort as well as a jacket for warmth and breeze protection while outside on the deck and on any canal trips you may take. And of course, be prepared for rain.

Expect anything.

Some of the museums you will be in will not have air conditioning. I remember being in the Armory in Moscow and was sweating (and it was probably 70's to 80's outside).

Dress in layers and always have an umbrella.

There have been some summers recently that Moscow has had record heat.

Hi there,

We did that same cruise in 09 at the end of June for 2 weeks. We had really nice weather for the 2 weeks with highs about 80. Some nights did get cool and we wore light jackets/sweaters. Going down the Volga, we did have nice enough weather to sunbathe on the top deck. You will still be having "white nights" so the sun doesn't set until 11:30 or so. Really neat...we did a Moscow city at night tour and didn't go into the city until 10:00 so that we would see it with the lights on at dark. It is best to carry an umbrella also as it can rain. Layering is the best thing as it can be a bit chilly when you start out in the morning but by noon it is hot. Also most museums are not air conditioned so you definitely need to take off the sweater then!!! You will love Russia....keep an open mind and just enjoy being there surrounded by all that history!!!

Thanks, everyone, for the excellent advice. I will do layers and umbrellas.

I just sent away for a travel jacket that is lightweight but has lots of pockets including hidden ones. It's also water resistant. I'm thinking it will be just right for layering.

Archived