San Pedro from a San Pedran

Wineaux

I've been checking out car services from San Pedro Cruise Terminal to our hotel (the Omni) in Los Angeles. Karmel.com quoted $82 and Execucar (part of Super Shuttle) quoted $71. That is for 4 people with luggage. Is one more reliable than the other? Experience?

We will be taking Amtrak home and the station is about a mile from the Omni.

What type of transportation did they quote you for the 82.00 and 71.00 rates? I believe that execucar uses lincoln town cars and 4 people with luggage is a tight fit. I have a quote from karmel for a private van from an LAX area hotel to the San Pedro port for 43.00 less 10% for AAA.

Wineaux & Bruin Steve & anyone in the know...

If you read the post above (?)... we are NOW considering getting off the ship, leaving luggage at a hotel in San Pedro, going to Catalina for the day, returning and spending the night at the hotel in San Pedro before flying out the next afternoon.

FYI ~ I'm a picky hotel person. :o

Questions...

1) Which hotel would YOU choose ~ Doubletree or Crowne Plaza ~ and WHY? (If you don't mind answering :o)

2) IF we stay at the Crowne Plaza ~ is it SAFE to walk around at night ~ to the restaurants on 22nd Street Landing??

3) WHY would a seafood/seaside restaurant already be closed by 9:00 at night, btw?? The girl on the phone (at Doubletree tonight) told me September through November is the busiest time of year for them.

3) If we stay in San Pedro is the Super Shuttle the most economical transfer to LAX the next day??

Thank you for answering!!! I will be so glad when I get this last day & night planned & reservations made! :confused:

With regards to economical ways back to LAX, Super Shuttle uses vans that will make multiple stops before getting you back to LAX. I have a reservation through Karmel.com and they are offering a one way from an LAX area hotel to the San Pedro port for 43.00 for 2 people less a 10% discount for AAA in a private van. This is how my GF and I are getting to the port after we arrive in LA the day before our cruise from the east coast.

After our cruise, we're going on a 8 hour LA tour through Sunseekers. They are picking us up at the San Pedro pier at 830 am and then dropping us off at out LAX area hotel around 500-530 pm. The cost for the tour is 79.00 pp, which is really reduced down to 59.00 once you factor in the 20 dollar savings of not having to get a port to hotel shuttle. By the way, we got fabulous rates at the Four points by Sheraton at 72.53 (tax inc) for our two nights pre and post cruise through LMT.com. And the hotel has a free shuttle to Manhattan Beach for dinner.

With regards to economical ways back to LAX, Super Shuttle uses vans that will make multiple stops before getting you back to LAX. I have a reservation through Karmel.com and they are offering a one way from an LAX area hotel to the San Pedro port for 43.00 for 2 people less a 10% discount for AAA in a private van. This is how my GF and I are getting to the port after we arrive in LA the day before our cruise from the east coast.

After our cruise, we're going on a 8 hour LA tour through Sunseekers. They are picking us up at the San Pedro pier at 830 am and then dropping us off at out LAX area hotel around 500-530 pm. The cost for the tour is 79.00 pp, which is really reduced down to 59.00 once you factor in the 20 dollar savings of not having to get a port to hotel shuttle. By the way, we got fabulous rates at the Four points by Sheraton at 72.53 (tax inc) for our two nights pre and post cruise through LMT.com. And the hotel has a free shuttle to Manhattan Beach for dinner.

Thank you for the info ~ especially about Karmel.com. We are AAA members so the 10% discount is nice.

I looked at Four Seasons but DH is a smoker. :o The Hilton LAX seems fine & we are Hilton Honors members. They also offer a free shuttle to Manhattan Beach as well.

I appreciate your info. I have no clue what we are going to do these two days... I'm trying to decide between the LA~area and San Pedro~area and not step-on any relatives toes in between. :confused:

The "free shuttle" that all of the hotels are referring to is actually a joint effort of all of the Century Blvd. hotels:

http://www.gatewaytola.org/index.cfm/programs/ocean-express/

They sort of recognized that there is so little in the way of shopping, restaurants and other things of interest around the LAX Century Blvd. area that they had to provide some sort of transportation to an area that had those things...

These are the three stops:

http://plazaelsegundo.com/

...pretty much a strip shopping center with a Best Buy, Dick's Sporting Goods, Whole Foods Market and a lot of little shops...really not a lot of restaurants, though Marmalade Cafe is a nice little chain with California Cuisine (a lot of good pasta dishes, some nice omelets for breakfast, etc.)

http://www.shopmanhattanvillage.com/

A nice, small enclosed mall anchored by Macy's on both ends...with Fry's Electronics and Ralphs' Market on outparcels...a lot of recognizable chain eateries--like Chili's, Islands and California Pizza Kitchen

http://downtownmanhattanbeach.com/

This is the most interesting stop--the town of Manhattan Beach itself...and the beach itself...All of the more ecclectic local shops and restaurants...this is where I recommend getting off...unless you want the same shopping and restaurants you have back home--then get off at one of the other two...

Good luck...

Thank you for the links.

Do you know if Manhattan Beach and the surrounding town/walkways are smoker friendly?

Manhattan Beach is slightly behind the time...they used to say "It's 10 pm in New York, it's 7 pm in LA...and, in Manhattan Beach, it's 1961..."

Anyway, to my knowledge, they haven't passed the smoking ban YET...but they are looking into it:

http://www.citymb.info/agenda/2011/Ag-Min20110118/20110118-14.pdf

Note section 2 d. on Page 15 ...

This will also affect you in Manhattan Beqach and other places in SoCal:

http://www.everythinglongbeach.com/smoking-ban-at-california-beaches-one-step-closer/

This town is immediately adjacent to Manhattan Beach:

http://www.easyreadernews.com/19243/hermosa-smoking-ban/

And, here is El Segundo:

http://www.elsegundo.net/news/2005/07/21/el-segundo-mulls-proposed-smoking-ban/

To my knowledge, most of these "proposed" laws have now passed...See this:

http://www.surfrider.org/campaigns/entry/smoking-banned-on-all-beaches-in-santa-monica-bay

"Santa Monica Bay" means everything from Malibu down to Palos Verdes--Malibu, Pacific Palisades, Santa Monica, Venice, Marina Del Rey, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, Redondo Beach...All of the beaches are a "no smoking zone"...Inland from the beach becomes questionable city to city...ordinances vary...Nowhere in California can you smoke in any bar or restaurant...

From research, it appears Manhattan Beach is still working on its smoking ban...

Fro Wikipedia, here is the list of Southern California cities with specific smiking bans more stringent than the overall state laws:

o Beverly Hills, banned in all outdoor dining areas.

o Burbank, banned in most public places including Downtown Burbank, outdoor dining & shopping areas, parks, service lines, and within 20 feet (6.1 m) of all building entrances/exits.

o Calabasas, banned in all indoor and outdoor public places, except for a handful of scattered, designated outdoor smoking areas in town. Believed to be the strictest ban in the United States.

o El Cajon, banned on city streets, in outdoor patios in restaurants, and outside of the local shopping mall. Anyone caught smoking in public areas will faces a fine of up to $500. The city previously outlawed smoking in parks, and also requires businesses that sell tobacco products to obtain a city license.

o Escondido, increased the state prohibition on smoking within 20 feet (6.1 m) of an entrance to a public place to 80 feet (24 m) outside city-owned buildings. In 2009, the city, at the urging of local students, banned smoking in parks, city open spaces, and trails, including the parking areas for these city properties.

o Glendale, banned smoking in/on and within 20 feet (6.1 m) from: all city property (except streets and sidewalks); city vehicles and public transportation vehicles; city public transit stations; places of employment; enclosed public places; non-enclosed public places; and common areas of multi-unit rental housing. Some of the areas where smoking is prohibited are authorized to have smoking-permitted areas, subject to regulations. Also, landlords in Glendale are required to provide disclosure to a prospective renter, prior to signing a lease, as to the location of possible sources of second-hand smoke, relative to the unit that they are renting.

o Loma Linda, banned on all sidewalks, streets, common areas in shopping centers, bus stops, parks, restaurant patios, theaters, City Hall, and 80% of motel rooms and apartment units. Exempts the federally-controlled VA hospital grounds, and smoking in cars traveling in the city.

o Los Angeles, banned in all city parks.

o Pasadena, banned smoking in certain outdoor areas, including shopping malls, unenclosed areas of bars and restaurants, service waiting lines (e.g. ATMs, bus stops, etc.) and within 20 feet (6.1 m) from them, and within 20 feet (6.1 m) of doorways, windows, or ventilation areas of enclosed places where smoking is banned.

o San Diego, banned smoking at all City of San Diego beaches and parks, including all beaches from La Jolla to Sunset Cliffs.

o Santa Barbara & Goleta, Local laws in Santa Barbara County and in the City of Goleta prohibit smoking within 20 feet of any building or area where smoking is prohibited. Ashtrays are also banned within a 20-foot smoke-free area.

o Santa Monica, banned smoking within 20 feet (6.1 m) of entrances, exits, or operable windows of a public building (such as City Hall and the courthouse); in local parks (including parking lots); on the Third Street Promenade; on local beaches; and on the Santa Monica Pier (except within designated zones). City Council passed a law that prohibits smoking in ALL common areas of a multi-family residential building including condominiums

Oh...and as to the Crowne Plaza vs. the Doubletree...Both are nice and different people like them for different reasons...

If it were me, I'd pick the Crowne Plaza--because convenience is most important to me...it's right in the middle of a whole lot of convenient restaurant choices...

Others pick the Doubletree for a more scenic, less urban location...of course the tradeoff is that it is a little more remote...

Thank you for ALL that information. Manhattan Beach is officially out due to the non-smoking laws. I had JUST gotten some info on Yelp telling me it is no-no there ~ apparently there is already a no smoking within 10 feet of any restaurant law.

At least I can narrow my info hunting down to one area in CA now ~ San Pedro is a little more smoker friendly so I shall go hunt down things to do there... and decide between Crowne Plaza or Doubletree... :confused:

I swear I still have a full-time job. :rolleyes:

Steve -- you really don't know how helpful you are to us out of towners!!!

A couple of things:

I've been reading references regarding the Crown Plaza shuttle going to restaurants, etc. If you mean the 5 mile shuttle...that has been discontinued. Crown Plaza has the shuttle to the pier, but that's it.

We are using Amtrak, and FYI, Karmel does not go there.

...and YES, I've also had a lot of problems with Prime Time -- stay away!

And finally Steve -- I've taken your advise...for post-cruise, we will be staying at the Renaisance in Hollywood. Sounds like it's right in the middle of everything and in a safe location. Appreciate your advise!!

Only question -- the restaurants are a little pricey -- are they any other choices around there?

THANK YOU!!

...for post-cruise, we will be staying at the Renaisance in Hollywood. Sounds like it's right in the middle of everything and in a safe location. Appreciate your advise!!

Only question -- the restaurants are a little pricey -- are they any other choices around there?

When you say the restaurants arre pricey, I take it you mean the hotel restaurants, correct?

Do not fear...the Renaissance is in a large complex called "Hollywood and Highland"...

There are several restaurants of all sorts right in the complex...

http://www.hollywoodandhighland.com/shop-dine/eateries

http://www.hollywoodandhighland.com/shop-dine/restaurants

Everything from Fast Food to Johnny Rockets to California Pizza Kitchen to nicer sitdown restaurants...

This is VIRTUALLY right in the hotel...you just walk out and across some walkways interior to the complex...

In addition, there are lots of restaurants all over Hollywood Boulevard...if you just want to walk a little...

Have fun...

A couple of things:

I've been reading references regarding the Crown Plaza shuttle going to restaurants, etc. If you mean the 5 mile shuttle...that has been discontinued. Crown Plaza has the shuttle to the pier, but that's it.

Actually... I called the Crowne Plaza directly last week and they still offer the shuttle to the restaurants or to a local store or etc... anywhere you want to go within a 5 mile radius... but ONLY if the shuttle is free or available at the time you are want to go... it will be a hit or miss. The exact quote I posted (on here or another thread?) was the Crowne Plaza (very helpful) clerk saying "Like tonight, the shuttle isn't busy so we would take you where you want to go!"

He also quoted me rates of $5 to $10 for a taxi to a local store... Just an FYI for anyone considering staying at the Crowne Plaza! :)

Sunseeker tours told me there is a $25 per person fee for luggage and dropoff in the LAX area. FYI.

We are staying at the Crowne Plaza one night pre-cruise. We bought restaurant.com certificates for dinner at San Pedro Brewing Co and breakfast at Blu. TripAdvisor had a Crowne Plaza review where Blu didn't honor the certificate. Does anyone have experience at the hotel's restaurant with the certificates? (Yes, I know question is very specific, but thought "maybe"...)

I used it at the Brewing Co our last cruise out of there. We met up with several from our roll call, and a couple of us had them. They were a great little place..even gave us our own back room. They also did separate checks, and took us in last minute when the Mexican place decided they didn't want to do sep checks. Food was good as well. We were all pleased. I didn't notice there was one for Blu's, so I didn't try it there. Rest.com will refund you with a gift certificate, if you find they won't take them.

We are staying at the Crowne Plaza one night pre-cruise. We bought restaurant.com certificates for dinner at San Pedro Brewing Co and breakfast at Blu. TripAdvisor had a Crowne Plaza review where Blu didn't honor the certificate. Does anyone have experience at the hotel's restaurant with the certificates? (Yes, I know question is very specific, but thought "maybe"...)

I used it at the Brewing Co our last cruise out of there. We met up with several from our roll call, and a couple of us had them. They were a great little place..even gave us our own back room. They also did separate checks, and took us in last minute when the Mexican place decided they didn't want to do sep checks. Food was good as well. We were all pleased. I didn't notice there was one for Blu's, so I didn't try it there. Rest.com will refund you with a gift certificate, if you find they won't take them.

Thank you for the information - good to hear about San Pedro Brewing Co! I'm not at all concerned about the refund, but just want to make smooth arrangements. My understanding is that Blu isn't particularly good and is expensive. So if they won't honor the certificate, I'd just plan breakfast elsewhere. I'll give them a call to iron out this detail.

Thanks! Janet

Thank you for the information - good to hear about San Pedro Brewing Co! I'm not at all concerned about the refund, but just want to make smooth arrangements. My understanding is that Blu isn't particularly good and is expensive. So if they won't honor the certificate, I'd just plan breakfast elsewhere. I'll give them a call to iron out this detail.

Thanks! Janet

The lighthouse cafe is the only restaurant that serves breakfast and is on restaurant.com in the San Pedro area. If you have a certificate for Blu, check the fine print, sometimes they only accept the 10 dollar certificates for lunch and the 25 dollar ones for dinner.

Thanks to Bruin Steve and others for taking the time to help so many of us who are first time visitors. I have been reading you very valuable suggestions/advice.

We are booked on the Coral Princess PC cruise out of San Pedro on Oct 25th. As a result of your advice, we booked the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro for $65 per night with Priceline. We also booked with Sunseeker Tours for their Hollywood Tour on the 23rd. We plan to do the Queen Mary on the 24th.

We need your help on a couple of problems. What is the best way to get from John Wayne to the CP? It appears Karmel doesn't go to SP. What would a cab cost from CP to the Queen Mary? Or, is there another way to get there? Any other suggestions for our day on the 24th? Finally, any suggestions for dinner on the three evenings in SP?

Thanks again for all of your great advice. We probably wouldn't have come in 3 days ahead without the suggestions from you and others on this site.

Bill

Thanks to Bruin Steve and others for taking the time to help so many of us who are first time visitors. I have been reading you very valuable suggestions/advice.

We are booked on the Coral Princess PC cruise out of San Pedro on Oct 25th. As a result of your advice, we booked the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro for $65 per night with Priceline. We also booked with Sunseeker Tours for their Hollywood Tour on the 23rd. We plan to do the Queen Mary on the 24th.

We need your help on a couple of problems. What is the best way to get from John Wayne to the CP? It appears Karmel doesn't go to SP. What would a cab cost from CP to the Queen Mary? Or, is there another way to get there? Any other suggestions for our day on the 24th? Finally, any suggestions for dinner on the three evenings in SP?

Thanks again for all of your great advice. We probably wouldn't have come in 3 days ahead without the suggestions from you and others on this site.

Bill

If you like Thai food a new restaurant just opened up on 6th street...Baramee. They just opened on July 21st and 8 of us we went to their soft-opening. Not a single complaint from anyone. Definitely a place to check out. SP Harbor Red Curry!! YUM!!

Here are my other recs for dining in Downtown San Pedro:

7th Street Chophouse (steakhouse)

http://www.7thstreetchophouse.com/live/

Whale and Ale (British)

http://www.whaleandale.com/

Beach City Grill (eclectic)

http://www.yelp.com/biz/beach-city-grill-san-pedro

Raffaello's (Italian)

http://www.yelp.com/biz/raffaello-ristorante-san-pedro

San Pedro Brewing Company (eclectic)

http://sanpedrobrewing.com/

Neil's (Italian)

http://www.neilspasta.com/Info.html

Think Cafe (eclectic)

http://www.yelp.com/biz/think-cafe-san-pedro

Porky's BBQ

http://www.yelp.com/biz/porkys-bbq-san-pedro

Edited by Wineaux

We are arriving on a Sunday in November, (Crystal Symphony) and would like to REnt a car and drive North (west) to Thousand Oaks. Are there any car rentals at the pier? Are there any car rental shuttles? If not, what is closest car rental location open on Sunday morning, and how do you get there?

If you like Thai food a new restaurant just opened up on 6th street...Baramee. They just opened on July 21st and 8 of us we went to their soft-opening. Not a single complaint from anyone. Definitely a place to check out. SP Harbor Red Curry!! YUM!!

Here are my other recs for dining in Downtown San Pedro:

7th Street Chophouse (steakhouse)

http://www.7thstreetchophouse.com/live/

Whale and Ale (British)

http://www.whaleandale.com/

Beach City Grill (eclectic)

http://www.yelp.com/biz/beach-city-grill-san-pedro

Raffaello's (Italian)

http://www.yelp.com/biz/raffaello-ristorante-san-pedro

San Pedro Brewing Company (eclectic)

http://sanpedrobrewing.com/

Neil's (Italian)

http://www.neilspasta.com/Info.html

Think Cafe (eclectic)

http://www.yelp.com/biz/think-cafe-san-pedro

Porky's BBQ

http://www.yelp.com/biz/porkys-bbq-san-pedro

Thanks again to Wineaux for great recs. San Pedro Brewing looks good to me and I found other good reviews of SPB. Also, great to see there is a British Pub (Whale & Ale) in the area.

One other question. Is there a way, besides a cab, to get to the Venice Pier without a car?

How much would a cab be?

Bill

Thanks again to Wineaux for great recs. San Pedro Brewing looks good to me and I found other good reviews of SPB. Also, great to see there is a British Pub (Whale & Ale) in the area.

One other question. Is there a way, besides a cab, to get to the Venice Pier without a car?

How much would a cab be?

Bill

Unfortunately there is no "convenient" public transport to Venice Beach. I have no idea how much a cab would cost but I can tell you it won't be cheap. You may be better off renting a car.

How about this for a short excursion...take the red car and get off at the Los Angeles Maritime Museum...great little museum with a $3 donation entrance fee. You can tour the Museum (stop in and see me at K6AA, the operating ham radio station upstairs), see the Merchant Marine Memorial, and walk to the next door mexican restaurant for Margaritas on the terrace. You can walk to Ports of Call and/or take the red car back to the ship.

How about this for a short excursion...take the red car and get off at the Los Angeles Maritime Museum...great little museum with a $3 donation entrance fee. You can tour the Museum (stop in and see me at K6AA, the operating ham radio station upstairs), see the Merchant Marine Memorial, and walk to the next door mexican restaurant for Margaritas on the terrace. You can walk to Ports of Call and/or take the red car back to the ship.

Guess the museum will be a must-do for one of our pre-cruise days before our Fall Canal sailing ... husband has been a ham for some 14 years. What a hobby;)

What a helpful thread!

We are staying at the Crowne Plaza precruise. Wondering about nearby places for breakfast.

What is a good time to plan to arrive at the pier in San Pedro for a Golden Princess cruise? (we do like earlier rather than later)

Thank you!

Nancy

There are 6 people in our group. We are flying into LAX on Thurs. before our cruise on Friday. I am thinking of staying at the crown plaza. Whats the best way to get us all there. Our flight arrives around 2:30 pm We are also staying at the crown plaza a day after our cruise, Sunday and flying home Monday am. We were hoping to go to Venice beach, is that a possibility? How would be the best way to get there? We will be traveling in November, whats the weather usually like there? We are from NE Ohio so I am sure it will be warmer, just not sure about the beaches?