meeting new friends on a cruise

tcw92

we went on our first cruise in Sept '10. i had the vision of meeting people and keeping in contact with them and having a friendship with them. We didn't meet any new people. any ideas on how to meet people at cruise get togethers while on the ship. we are cruising again this September.

Start out by saying hi to people sitting next to you on the Lido Deck, in the buffet line, etc. Ask where they're from, is this their first cruise......

Agree, the roll call is a great place to start. I'm still in contact with a couple of gals I met 3-4 years ago.

joined my first roll call ever in October 2009..made lifelong friends and memories to last a lifetime!

Had so much fun in 09, that there were 10 of us that got together and sailed the Miracle in October 2010, some are cruising together in 2011, and we are all cruising in October 2012 to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary!

The Roll Call for your cruise is the best way to make friends with others on your

cruise. Planning get togethers on board, setting up private tours, and just sharing

info makes the time before your cruise fun.

Since my last cruise in Sept, we've been Facebooking and keeping in touch. That

extends the fun of the cruise.

We also do traditional dining. Meeting the same people every night for dinner gives

you the opportunity to share your day and by the end of a week or 10/12 days you

feel like you're really friends.

Then it's up to you to keep in touch afterwards. We've sailed again with people we

really enjoyed knowing.

my sister did all the planning and we dined with them at a booth, so we didn't have others at our table. not sure where to find the roll call for our cruise in September. i have text her to ask for help, but no reply yet. So, if anyone can help that would be great.

For our Spring '09 cruise we had a really really active roll call...I became fast friends with someone on the roll call, and we basically spent 2/3 of the cruise together - my daughter loved them both instantly (I think the feeling was mutual) and we got to be there when they got engaged. It was definitely a memory of a lifetime, and I am proud to say we still keep in touch...

Hope they want to cruise with us again soon!

I would say one of the best ways to meet new people is at dinner. When you book your cruise, express your preference for being seated at a large table. If you are seated at a table for 2, ask the maitre'd for a change. We have met many people that way. People we continue friendship with til this day. Getting involved in the roll call is always fun, too.

We met some great people playing trivia. There were a few couples that showed up at nearly every game...and we became pretty good friends with one of them... we are friends on Facebook now in any case. :)

So I guess my input is to participate in onboard activities...

The best way is to have tablemates...don't eat alone!

At the pool, or shows, or wherever...strike up a conversation!

You have to be willing to "get the ball rolling"...most folks on vacation are very "into themselves"...they barely notice others, unless you make the 1st move. You'll be able to determine quickly if they are enjoying the conversation, or if you're intruding. Most folks will welcome some company (other than their own family!)....then, take it from there!

We struck up conversations with folks in bars, at dinner, at the pool....and we ended up meeting those folks everynight, in our preferred locations....it's great!

We sit at a large table for dinner and have met some great people.

Also find breakfast in the DR a great place to meet others.

Also the roll call.

Sometimes we keep in touch with others and sometimes we do not.

However have made some good friends over the years.

As others have said, join your roll call on here. If you don't see one for your sail date, create one. Go to the various on board activities (trivia, karaoke, game shows, etc). If you dine with others, get to know them. I always try to chit chat with people when standing in line, waiting for shows to start, etc.

We were fortunate enough to have a very active roll call on our first cruise and we had established friendships going on to the ship.

Do musical deck chairs - just plunk your butt in any chair with no one in and you will soon have some great conversations - not. Seriously, like others say, join your rollcall - it was through these that I met tons of people and keep in touch with many to this day. Also, put yourself out there and make the first move, start conversations etc. I like to go to the MDR for breakfast and/or lunch and you are seated with new people every time - at least once or twice you are going to make a connection.

my sister did all the planning and we dined with them at a booth, so we didn't have others at our table. not sure where to find the roll call for our cruise in September. i have text her to ask for help, but no reply yet. So, if anyone can help that would be great.

we will miss you by a couple of weeks..Our date with Destiny is the 19th of September!!

Roll calls for 5 day cruises are tough.. but keep at it, and hopefully somebody will drop by!

The Roll Call boards are your best bet. We remain in contact with from a couple on our first cruise that we met on the Roll Call for our sailing. Just migle, have fun you never know if your new BFF migh be sitting next to you in the MDR! :)

This post made me realize that outside of my family and extended family, we always cruise with friends we met either on the ships or on our rollcalls (and then on the ship). This summer we'll be going to Europe with some cruise friends and it's our third trip to the Mediterranean together. We all met on these boards in 2004 and cruised the Liberty in 2005 the first time. Then did it again on the Freedom and now will be on the Magic together. Some live on the west coast, some on the east coast and some in the south but no where near each other.

We rarely cruise alone any more and have several groups of people that we cruise with and we met them ALL on the ships. We also have met some friends that live close so we get together and spend weekends together a few times a year.

In addition, I have a bunch of Facebook friends that we cruised with at some time or another and hope to cruise with again in the future from all over the world.

Like Mr. Pete said, strike up conversations any time you can and get involved in your roll call. You won't click with everyone on your roll call or everyone you meet but the odds are in your favor. :)

Everything suggested above are great ways to meet people. I also think the tours are a great opportunity as it is a small group of people doing the same thing and really getting to know each other while having fun. The ships are large and the small tour groups are probably the longest time you will spend with happy strangers all doing the same thing for a good deal of time on any cruise. By its nature it is usually one little van load of people from your ship united in fun.

I haven't made lifelong friends on my past cruises, but I have met some interesting people on cruises. Just start talking to people in lines, in the hot tubs and pools and the person sitting in the lounge chair next to you. I have found the most people on cruises are friendly and are happy to talk to you.

Archived