Muster Drills

appgirl

In response to the original question. No you don't bring your life jacket. RCI has a 2nd life jacket available for you at your muster station.

Not sure if muster is required but cargo ships do them too.

On some ships they don't require you to sign in at muster. They do a headcount at each muster station and if people are missing, they take attendance.

We have been very lucky to have our muster station inside on every cruise.

You do not need a life vest for the Muster on Carnival ships either. I don't think they would even know if you were there. They didn't count, didn't ask our room number or ask to see our room card.

We have been on three cruises on Royal since Thanksgiving and on each one you were required to carry your seapass card (but not your lifejacket) and present it to one of the attendants who crossed you off a printed list. We also passed our cabin attendant who was checking each cabin and putting an "inspected" card into the door locks. Unfortunately all of our muster drills were on the side decks and in the full sun!!!!!

We have been on three cruises on Royal since Thanksgiving and on each one you were required to carry your seapass card (but not your lifejacket) and present it to one of the attendants who crossed you off a printed list. We also passed our cabin attendant who was checking each cabin and putting an "inspected" card into the door locks. Unfortunately all of our muster drills were on the side decks and in the full sun!!!!!

You just reminded me of something interesting that happened at our last Muster......

At our station, there was a husband and wife.

We all were waiting quite a while, because a lot of people just hadn't shown up.

Among the late arrivers: Their son. He went to the RC staff who were checking everyone in, then joined his parents, who happened to be standing next to us.

Mom: Why aren't you on the other side of the ship, at the other muster station?

Son: They checked my SeaPass card, and saw that I'm supposed to be in the cabin on this side, and sent me over here.

Mom: But didn't you tell them that we switched cabins and had only booked you on that side so that we could book two cabins and then switch later?

Son: Yeah, but they said that since my SeaPass says Cabin XXXX, and this is my muster station, I have to report over here.

Unintended/unforeseen consequences of putting your underage children on the opposite side of the ship from you.

:rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
carnival is the best to totally SKIP the muster drill :D, wait also NCL

"They should just show a video on the TV about the drill instruction instead of making everyone stand out on the decks. Probably be much quicker & easier.."

That must have been quite reassuring to passengers on the Carnival Splendor three months ago when it had that engine fire and was seriously disabled at sea for a number of days. Skipping the muster drill is "how responsible and adult" behavior?

Nothing more important than making it quicker and easier to get back to the bar. As a matter of fact, they do show a video about the drill in your stateroom, but is foregoing a few minutes of your vacation to attend a safety drill really so essential?

You are required to go the muster drill even if you have sailed 1000 times...However, there are always people who hide and do not go.....

they've been swiping our sea pass card for attendance at the muster station on the bigger ships, but I believe the technology is going that way for all sihps eventually.

• 9 months later...
but they dont tell u anything the next day

By bringing back this thread(where you were the last poster)I'm guessing you are very proud of the fact,you skip musters..why else do you keep posting on how easy it is?:confused: I have been on a few cruises myself and while muster can be a pain,I go......why hold up everyone else while they call out names of those who choose to hide?? And unless you are doing a b2b on the same ship,you will need to know where your station is.......it's a safety thing!

By bringing back this thread(where you were the last poster)I'm guessing you are very proud of the fact,you skip musters..why else do you keep posting on how easy it is?:confused: I have been on a few cruises myself and while muster can be a pain,I go......why hold up everyone else while they call out names of those who choose to hide?? And unless you are doing a b2b on the same ship,you will need to know where your station is.......it's a safety thing!

Kathy, consider the source and perhaps place him on your ignore list. :rolleyes:

Last cruise we went on something went wrong in the pre-boarding and we were the last to board. Kept in a area for hours and hours and hours with about 200 others. The computers went down. We were so late getting on the ship that when we walked on we went to get something to drink and had just sat down with it and they said it was time for the drill. We were getting up to go and they came to us and said we did NOT have to go since we had JUST walked on the ship and had been on several cruises before.

Now you tell me, did they say we didn't have to go because we had just boarded the ship or because they knew we had been on several cruises? I don't know but I think they felt so bad because they left us in an area for hours and hours and hours and kept saying ~~we've sorry and we are working on getting you on board.

This is one of several threads that telemundo has resurected from the dead

I think the original question was do you have to take your life vests with you to the muster drill ??? Im still wondering if this is the case or not..

On Disney you have to...

On Carnival you do not...

RCCL ?????

Thanks for the help :)

I was on the Disney Dream last March...NO life jackets to muster drill. It was nice!

The IMO rules have changed and by law you are not reqiured to bring or wear a life vest to the muster..............nowhere does it say you can't bring it.

You must attend the drill

Myself and many others in the Maritime industry find this amazing and dangerous not to reqiure everyone, children included, to wear the life vest to the muster.

A ship in distress and/or a emergency situation, where the vessel maybe down to emergency lighting or no lighting.....rolling and pitching.......people near or panicing.....that is not the time to learn how to put a life vest on properly(there are different types as well).......walking though the passageways, to the muster station is not the time to stand and try and get it on while others are trying to get by you.:eek:

I know few of you have never been in a emergency at sea......and don't know how scary and dangerous it can be, but I imagine some on the Freedom a few months ago were close to realizing it!:eek:

In short, I am not looking for a debate.....but my family and friends when cruising with us, always wear the life vests to the musrter drill and I have no problem telling the crew member why and they NEVER debate it!

So PLEASE.......think about this a bit.......the lives you save may be your family!

*steps off his soap box*

Enjoy your next cruise!

AKK

Archived