Bus to Port from La Rambla?

MN Cruizin

Yes, there is a city bus, but you would be far better off taking the short cab ride. It's all of about 1 mile and will hardly cost you anything from Las Ramblas near the Christopher Columbus statue. It will be much more convenient with your luggage.

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/transport/sites-barcelona-transport.html

We have taken the blue port bus to the ship with luggage a few times without any trouble. There is an area to put luggage in the middle of the bus. Just pay the driver (2euros) and ask him to open the back door so you can put on your luggage. The bus will stop at each ship.

Please be sure to read the thread on thieves on Barcelona and then decide for yourself if it's worth the risk to save a little money. Honestly, I would NEVER get on public transport in Barcelona with my luggage nor would I ever carry a purse in Barcelona. But that's just my opinion. Only you can decide what level of risk you are willing to take in Barcelona.

Please be sure to read the thread on thieves on Barcelona and then decide for yourself if it's worth the risk to save a little money. Honestly, I would NEVER get on public transport in Barcelona with my luggage nor would I ever carry a purse in Barcelona. But that's just my opinion. Only you can decide what level of risk you are willing to take in Barcelona.

The port bus is not like a regular city bus. It is only used by cruise passangers or crew. There is ample space where you can stand with your luggage for the short ride to the ship. We prefer to not use taxis when we can avoid them. You can just as easily be ripped off by a cab driver.

On our recent trip we paid for the ship sponsored bus back and forth to the monument. Well we missed the bus back to the ship! We easily got a cab for the 5 minute ride. I think it cost about 8euros. Have a great trip- kade

I feel the need to butt in here (I never could keep my mouth shut) because we noticed the post about crime. We have been traveling throughout Europe for about forty years (including many lengthy driving trips) and have been to Barcelona more than a dozen times and think that the crime stuff is over emphasized (trying to find a nice word). Sure, there are pickpockets and purse snatchers in Barcelona (and every other place in the world that has tourists) and visitors need to take some reasonable precautions. As to Barcelona, its enough to understand that there are typical gangs of gypsies (also called Roma) that work in this city and they will generally steal from the easiest targets (not hard to find). So just be aware of your surroundings, take simple precautions, and you will be fine. We would have no problem taking luggage on the Blue Bus (although a taxi is a lot easier and makes sense if you have luggage) but you certainly want to keep a close eye on your stuff. As to basic precautions (which should be used anywhere) men should never carry a wallet in their back pocket. In fact a Secret Service Agent once told me many of the agents put a few large rubber bands around their wallets and kept them in a front pocket (I do this). The rubber bands make it difficult to slide a wallet out of a pocket. Some folks even use money belts. As to ladies, you should carry your purse cross-shoulder and do not put it down under a seat (or table) when you are dining. My wife likes to use a large diaper pin to secure the zipper of her purse whenever we travel (nobody is going to reach into her purse with this system).

Since I am on a roll with basic security tips there are an entirely different set of rules when driving a car in Europe. Do not ever leave a car unattended with valuables or luggage in the car...unless you are in a very secure location. This is particularly true in Spain and Italy...and even more true at rest stops along the major Autostrade (like interstate highways). When we are driving with luggage in the car, DW and I take turns going into rest stops and one of us always stays near the car. This actually gets funny in Italy as there are now some pensioners (retired folks) who will offer to guard your car in parking lots for a few Euros.

Hank

Archived