Garment bag as carry-on?

janalovesandy

Hi!

We cruise on Sunday (woohoo) and my dad lent me a nice fabric garment bag for our dresses/suits. Are garment bags allowed as carry-on? We are flying united for the first time, as we usually use Canadian airlines. I read somewhere that a garment bag was allowed a personal item, but does that just mean a soft one that hold one outfit?

Thanks!

Used to be allowed, but times have changed...you may have to check it, and that would totally defeat the purpose and they throw luggage around like bags of trash!

You should call your airline and see what their regulations are! Whatever you carry on has to either fit in the overhead bin or under the seat in front of you....

If the garment bag is a tri-fold it can be carried on. The type that is just a long garment bag, or one that folds in half is usually over the linear measurements.

Check the measurements of your garment bag and if it can be folded to fit into an overhead bin. Typical carry on measurements are 22 X 14 X 9.

If the garment bag is a tri-fold it can be carried on. The type that is just a long garment bag, or one that folds in half is usually over the linear measurements.

Check the measurements of your garment bag and if it can be folded to fit into an overhead bin. Typical carry on measurements are 22 X 14 X 9.

yup, check the measurements first.

United's website does indeed say that a "garment bag" can be the personal item. HOWEVER, it does not mean a bag with a bunch of dresses and suits in it - that is luggage. I believe they mean a soft bag that holds one dress or suit. I have an old garment bag that I used to take on business trips back in the good old days. I could put a week's worth of clothes and 2 pair of shoes in there. It was soft and folded over in half - it sounds like what you are describing. It definitely isn't allowed nowadays.

Personally, I wouldn't risk taking a large garment bag to the airport under the assumption that it will be allowed. See if you can get further clarification from their phone lines. If a Garment bag like you described was allowed, you'd be seeing tons of people with their 21" rollaboards AND the bag. I don't see that.

DH has a soft suit bag that folds in half, has two side buckles and a shoulder strap. It holds his suit, a couple shirts, a sport jacket and two cocktail dresses for me. We've always checked them on our flights, so so I can't help you there; but we always carry it onto the cruise ship.

Archived