Top Cruise Ships in Conde Nast Traveler February Issue

Just received in the mail the Conde Nast Traveler magazine February issue where cruise ships are rated by a reader's poll. In the category "Large Cruise Ships", 500 to 2500 passengers, The Regent Voyager is #1 with a 93.4 overall score. The #2 and #3 position are Crystal Serenity and Crystal Symphony with 92.6 an 91.9 overall ratings. In the #4 position is the Regent Mariner with 91.1 overall score. The Regent ships scored high in the "cabin" category because the Regent cabins are obviously much nicer (and larger) than the other lines.

In the "Small Ship" category, under 500 passengers, The Seabourn Odyssey ranks #1 with a score of 96.1. The Regent Navigator is in the #6 position with an overall score of 88.7.

We have been on two Regent cruises, both on the Mariner, and are booked on the Mariner again this year. For those of you have cruised on both the Mariner and the Voyager, what are the main differences and why do you like one more than the other? Just curious.

We have sailed many times on both, but lean more toward the Voyager now since the Mariner decided to convert most bathrooms to shower only. My wife only likes a bathtub and we insist on one of those remaining cabins in order to book.

Other than that, we love Regent...Period..

Scoring is so subjective and only gathered from the responses of those who participate.

I prefer Voyager to Mariner. That 50 square feet or so of difference in size is significant. It makes the standard Voyager cabin much more comfortable than on Mariner. The electrical outlet in the bathroom on the Voyager works when the lights are turned off. Therefore, you can charge your electric toothbrush in the dark and use a plugin nightlight in the bathroom at night. On Mariner the electrical outlet in the bathroom only works when the lights are turned on, hence no toothbrush charging or nightlight! The higher than the floor bathtubs on Mariner are a menace. I prefer the single, and wider, hallways on Voyager to the dual, and narrower, hallways on Mariner. I prefer the laundry rooms on decks 7-10 on Voyager, as well as the location in the middle of cabins to the Mariner where you have go through the atrium area to reach the laundry rooms at the front of the ship away from the bulk of the cabins and only on decks 8 to 10. The public areas of Mariner may get a slight nod as being roomier than Voyager's, but I prefer Voyager's public space layout as well.

Debbie

The only thing I disagree with is the shower situation. . . . there will still be bathtub only suites. Regent could not meet the demand for shower only suites on the Mariner. There were always wait lists. More conversions will be done during their drydock in April. Unfortunately, this may cause waitlist for bathtub suites. Had Regent built the suites like the Voyager, there would be both a shower and a tub and this issue would not exist.

Since you like the Mariner, you should know that the Coffee Connection is considerably smaller on the Voyager. However, it is not next to the library and internet room where the noise can be bothersome. The pubic areas on the Mariner are lovely. The reason they have so much room is due to the small deluxe suites.

IMO, after Regent built the Mariner in 2001, it looked at what they could do better and built the Voyager. They are both beautiful ships.

Jackie - when the conversions are done in April there will only be 12 PH suites with baths - all the others will have those (wretched in my view!!) showers. You and I differ on shower/tub, I know! But I think Regent has gone overboard in converting so many suites to showers only. After all, the ones with baths also have a shower - Ken uses this and has never complained, perhaps because it is like what we have at home!

Having now been in a normal Navigator suite, which is about the same as a normal Voyager one, and last year in a normal Mariner suite, I too would vote for Voyager as my favourite ship. Only thing is, she never seems to be sailing where and when I want to go!!

Thanks for the feedback. I will have to try Voyager.
...Carol, We have sailed multiple times on both Ships. Got off the Voyager less than 2 weeks ago so I am current on it....As far as size of staterooms is concerned it makes a great deal of difference which category you book. If you are booking the value based staterooms then Voyager has the size edge. If you are in the more upscale accommodations the Mariner has a big edge. We still much prefer the Mariner for lay-out, public rooms, over all service and decor. Some things such as service and cuisine will vary from cruise to cruise due to the management team on that particular cruise and has nothing to do with which ship you are on. We just prefer the Mariner over all...Different horses for different courses....One factor that is definately in favor of Mariner is her Sea Keeping ability...She rides beautifly as opposed to the rolly Voyager...Longer with a much lower center of gravity and a definate sheer line...They both are tops !:D

Archived