Electric kettle OK?

photomuggle

On the slim chance that this is a real question

NO it's not OK A cruise isn't the place to be auditioning for The Beverly (self edit).

Besides all the other obvious reasons, you cabin shares 1 electrical circuit for plug ins rated at about 10 amps max. An electric kettle would draw too much current and hopefully blow the breaker for all 5 cabins BEFORE the electrical fire started.

No. Electric kettles (like electric irons) are a fire hazard. You can order hot water through room service or at the buffet. Or I've gotten it at the casual restaurants on board, upon request (filling an insulated mug where I've already inserted a tea bag).

How come many ships -P&O and NCL(last time we sailed NCL was 2007)- have coffee/tea making facilities in the cabins as most hotel rooms do. P&O also provide the packet biscuits (cookies)!!!

You named 2 lines that might have such facilities. NCL has dropped them from many of their ships. P&O cater to British clientele and so may have some. But generally they are not allowed.

You named 2 lines that might have such facilities. NCL has dropped them from many of their ships. P&O cater to British clientele and so may have some. But generally they are not allowed.

RCI's Indy sails from the UK all year round, and provides a kettle.

Jo.

There's a difference between a cruise line providing kettles and passengers bringing their own. With the cruise line's kettles, they know the condition of the electrical components. But with something brought on by a passenger, they could bring on ratty ones, with compromised cords or whatever, and things in poor condition can be a fire hazard.

Every cruise line says you cannot bring on things with a heating element other than hair appliances.

Tea/coffee making facilities are provided in all staterooms on P&O:)

This isn't a stupid question and just the sort of question that should be welcomed and not ridiculed

Gillian x

Just realised I've accidently gone on the American sight - I though some of the replies had a very different tone!

Yes, it was an honest question from an utter newbie. All responses are much appreciated, and I now understand, beyond the shadow of any doubt, that I must not--repeat NOT--attempt to bring the electric kettle on board. :-)

Hope this stupid question is of use to a future utter newbie like myself.

Not allowed....will be confiscated....

Electric appliances are permitted....they are fire hazards.

Is this a real question???:confused:

from someone who never cruised-- and has under 25 posts I think they do not have a clue so yes, i give them the benefit of the doubt and it is a real question to them

Tea/coffee making facilities are provided in all staterooms on P&O:)

This isn't a stupid question and just the sort of question that should be welcomed and not ridiculed

Gillian x

Just realised I've accidently gone on the American sight - I though some of the replies had a very different tone!

No, Gillian....if you look at the top of every page, you'll see it says "Cruise Critic.Co. UK".....it's for all of us!!!;)

Jo.

Experienced cruisers... you need to check yourself.

This is not the first, nor the second time I've seen really snarky responses to legitimate questions a new cruiser might have.

If I hadn't "met" many kind and helpful people on this board I might think cruisers were a bunch of snooty ...I'm picturing Thurston and Lovie Howell for those who remember Gilligan. Ease up!

On the slim chance that this is a real question

NO it's not OK A cruise isn't the place to be auditioning for The Beverly (self edit).

Besides all the other obvious reasons, you cabin shares 1 electrical circuit for plug ins rated at about 10 amps max. An electric kettle would draw too much current and hopefully blow the breaker for all 5 cabins BEFORE the electrical fire started.

On the slim chance that this is a real response to a newbie............you ought to be ashamed of yourself. The title of the forum is dedicated to "first time cruisers". Do you really think this individual knew that each cabin shares an electrical circuit including the limitations of it's max amperage? If you were a passenger on my airplane and I expected you know the exact amperage differences across all electrical buses in my electrical system, and you failed to answer correctly, would I chastise you? No! A newbie who is obviously reaching out to the experience of recurrent cruisers ahead of time, is in my opinion, a very intelligent person who is planning ahead so as to avoid mishaps later. That's a lot more than most folks planning for a cruise or a flight do.

Instead you and others have belittled this poor person into thinking he/she asked a stupid question. The question wasn't stupid, the arrogant way of answering by you was. If you don't care for "real" questions, then bug-out of the first-time cruisers section and join other arrogant veteran cruising electric engineers in another section. ;)

Look, honestly I rely heavily on forums to gain knowledge from people and this is my first post at cruise critics. I have just signed up in hopes of asking the same type "dumb questions". But I have to admit I was appalled to see such rude answers in a newbie section. To those that answered with respectful answers, thank you very much and we newbies greatly appreciate your efforts as we learn from you all. I hope the rest of the forums aren't as cold hearted as this one turned out to be.

Jdriver-

Yes, it was an honest question from an utter newbie. All responses are much appreciated, and I now understand, beyond the shadow of any doubt, that I must not--repeat NOT--attempt to bring the electric kettle on board. :-)

Hope this stupid question is of use to a future utter newbie like myself.

It's definitely not a stupid question but a legitimate one as that same question had once flitted through my consciousness as I am an utter newbie like you. I started coming here back in October 2010 to learn, so as not to make any mistakes that would dampen the excitement of our 1st cruise. I could never muster enough courage to ask a question thinking that it might be a stupid one. Thank you for asking it and happy cruising . . . hugs:)

Now my question- why would you take one of these on a cruise?

What is the difference between a cruise out of the states and a cruise in Europe??

What is the difference between a cruise out of the states and a cruise in Europe??

We Americans are "addicted" to our coffee -- but can manage with room service bringing it, or rushing off to the buffet in the early morning to fill our insulated mugs.

But those who prefer tea (I am of English heritage; though born in the US, was brought up on tea) need to have the water "freshly boiling" to make a proper pot of tea. Hot water brought by room service -- well under the boiling point by the time it gets to the cabin -- just doesn't cut it, when making a proper cup of tea. And many of the cruise lines..and cruisers..that ask about this are tea drinkers.

We Americans are "addicted" to our coffee -- but can manage with room service bringing it, or rushing off to the buffet in the early morning to fill our insulated mugs.

But those who prefer tea (I am of English heritage; though born in the US, was brought up on tea) need to have the water "freshly boiling" to make a proper pot of tea. Hot water brought by room service -- well under the boiling point by the time it gets to the cabin -- just doesn't cut it, when making a proper cup of tea. And many of the cruise lines..and cruisers..that ask about this are tea drinkers.

That is so true, UC, and is one of the reasons why people in the UK choose their cruise line. It was obvious to RCI, and that is why the Independence of the Seas, which sails from the UK year round, has now provided a kettle in each room.

With prices being competitive, it's these small touches which count now-adays!!;)

Jo.

To answer your first question:

To heat water to make tea.

I assumed the purpose of he device would be evident to most readers.

As I stated:

Cruises in Europe have kettles to make tea in the cabin.

Cruises in the USA do not.

In answer to your second question, the difference is geographical, the USA and Europe are separated by the Atlantic ocean.

I really think the thread is pretty clear, no?:confused:

On the slim chance that this is a real response to a newbie............you ought to be ashamed of yourself. The title of the forum is dedicated to "first time cruisers". Do you really think this individual knew that each cabin shares an electrical circuit including the limitations of it's max amperage? If you were a passenger on my airplane and I expected you know the exact amperage differences across all electrical buses in my electrical system, and you failed to answer correctly, would I chastise you? No! A newbie who is obviously reaching out to the experience of recurrent cruisers ahead of time, is in my opinion, a very intelligent person who is planning ahead so as to avoid mishaps later. That's a lot more than most folks planning for a cruise or a flight do.

Instead you and others have belittled this poor person into thinking he/she asked a stupid question. The question wasn't stupid, the arrogant way of answering by you was. If you don't care for "real" questions, then bug-out of the first-time cruisers section and join other arrogant veteran cruising electric engineers in another section. ;)

Look, honestly I rely heavily on forums to gain knowledge from people and this is my first post at cruise critics. I have just signed up in hopes of asking the same type "dumb questions". But I have to admit I was appalled to see such rude answers in a newbie section. To those that answered with respectful answers, thank you very much and we newbies greatly appreciate your efforts as we learn from you all. I hope the rest of the forums aren't as cold hearted as this one turned out to be.

Jdriver-

Hi

Thank you very very much for your reponse to that arrogrant reply to the question about bringing a kettle on board .Im a also a first time cruiser and would be afraid to ask a simple question if i felt i would be riducled by expererenced cruisers. And to all the others thank you for knowledge as im learning so much about cruising.

Cheers :)

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

Thank you very very much for your reponse to that arrogrant reply to the question about bringing a kettle on board .Im a also a first time cruiser and would be afraid to ask a simple question if i felt i would be riducled by expererenced cruisers. And to all the others thank you for knowledge as im learning so much about cruising.

Cheers :)

No problem! What's the point in a "first time cruiser's" forum if you can't ask first time cruiser questions right! ;) Thanks for the support-

Jdriver-

Archived