NCL Cancels Pride of America sailing 6/19/05

nannyny

Without advance warning, nor offering a reason why - NCL dropped the bomb today and announced they're cancelling the Pride of America inaugural 6/19/05 sailing. They offered me $50pp credit for another sailing. The best my agent could do was to get NCL to reimburse me for airfare penalty change when and if I decide to rebook. I'm trying hard to stay calm.

I think Shoreguy must have been referring to the movie and the fact that Pride of America was cancelled last year as well! We also had the misfortune of being booked on the sailing 'last' June!

I think Shoreguy must have been referring to the movie and the fact that Pride of America was cancelled last year as well! We also had the misfortune of being booked on the sailing 'last' June!

You got it :D Same thing all over again. We need to work on seahorse's sense of humor :cool:

I was getting curious about this inaugural sailing, but things are kind of strange with all the problems this ship has had.....would hope this isn't a sign or something....creepy ain't it?

That hull was had a long and troubled life from day one in Alabama. I think I will avoid the curse for a while. Cruise I mean :D

Without advance warning, nor offering a reason why - NCL dropped the bomb today and announced they're cancelling the Pride of America inaugural 6/19/05 sailing. They offered me $50pp credit for another sailing. The best my agent could do was to get NCL to reimburse me for airfare penalty change when and if I decide to rebook. I'm trying hard to stay calm.

sorry to hear about that, but do you think it could have anything to do with this?

http://ncl.com/news/pr/pr021605.htm

I was under the impression that all cruises up until departure from Miami were for promotional purposes.

NCL's press release:-

"Miami - February 11, 2005 -- This week, Pride of America left the dry dock at Lloyd Werft and is now alongside the outfitting pier at the German shipyard. Sea trials are scheduled from May 19 through May 22 and NCL America will take delivery of Pride of America on June 6, 2005. After a series of inaugural events and cruises in the U.K. and the U.S. mainland, Pride of America will sail to Honolulu where she will be based year round beginning July 23, 2005. She joins NCL America's first U.S.-flagged ship, Pride of Aloha, which began sailing seven-day round-trip Hawai`i voyages last July."

Perhaps that is why the OP has been 'bumped'?

I too try to stay away from ignaugural cruises or even the first month or so after entering the water. Often the first cruise is delayed, followed by ironing out problems. We are tentatively planning on sailing the Jewel when she does her transatlantic cruise in Sept. I am a bit nervous about that. We would wait except it is the only transatlantic cruise this fall that interests us. NMnita

Oh I am so sorry to hear they cancelled your cruise! Did they say WHY?

That is what happened to us last year when she was suppose to come out in July. So we booked the Prideof Aloha instead and we are sailing April 3rd.

Thank goodness they ironed out the problems they had with her.

Good Luck!

Rene

Nanny, I'm sorry to hear your NYC to Miami cruise was canceled.

That panicked me since we too are on one of the repositioning cruises. I called NCL to check if ours was going to be delayed.

They said that they still expect to get the ship on time and they just canceled the New York to Miami cruise so they could have more inaugural events on the east coast. The first cruise will now be the Panama Canal cruise.

Why don't you sail to Hawaii with us? I'm really looking forward to 10 days on a new NCL ship.

Oh my......made me nervous when I first read this... I'm booked on the October sailing for Pride of America....Hopefully there's no further problems and all this gets ironed out.... lol... Sorry your trip was cancelled.... That's a shame.....

I too try to stay away from ignaugural cruises or even the first month or so after entering the water. Often the first cruise is delayed, followed by ironing out problems. We are tentatively planning on sailing the Jewel when she does her transatlantic cruise in Sept. I am a bit nervous about that. We would wait except it is the only transatlantic cruise this fall that interests us. NMnita

We might be on the same cruise. I had a reservation but it went poof yesterday. Nobody can explain.

As far as the POAM I am surprised nobody else on any of the boards has posted that there is a problem with the trip or thier reservation. $50 OBC does not sound like the normal compensation for a cancelled cruise.

Can any of you TA confirm in fact this cruise has been cancelled.

One thing I have learned here is you need more then one source for any info. good or bad.

I had a reservation but it went poof yesterday. Nobody can explain.

Can any of you TA confirm in fact this cruise has been cancelled.

I don't get it. You said you had a reservation and it's gone. Don't you believe NCL that they really canceled the cruise?

They didn't have any problem explaining it to me when I called about ours. It took him a few minutes to check, but he came back and said the ship was still on time but the New York to Miami cruise had been canceled b/c they were doing more inaugural things on the east coast.

I don't get it. You said you had a reservation and it's gone. Don't you believe NCL that they really canceled the cruise?

They didn't have any problem explaining it to me when I called about ours. It took him a few minutes to check, but he came back and said the ship was still on time but the New York to Miami cruise had been canceled b/c they were doing more inaugural things on the east coast.

I was repling to newmexicoNita. She referenced the Jewel Crossing and that is the cruise reservation that went poof. NCL just called me they are working the problem with my booking.

I did check NCL.com and POAM itineraries and the NY leg is not there anymore. Miami to the west cost still posted - same dates and times.

I was repling to newmexicoNita. She referenced the Jewel Crossing and that is the cruise reservation that went poof.

Sorry Shoreguy. I just assumed that because the topic was about Pride of America that you were staying on topic. ;)

Sorry Shoreguy. I just assumed that because the topic was about Pride of America that you were staying on topic. ;)

Never assume anything on CC - I did get back on topic.

I considered this cruise but I am glad now I did not book. This is the risk we all take booking a new ship.

NJ Tomato,

and we so looking forward to having a great time. What really angers me is NCL's lack of concern for those of us who booked airfare from Miami. My CA is out on a ship but I'm awaiting his return. Add insult to injury, Travel Guard said NO to reimbursement of lost air.

Thanks for the kind words.

Nan

and I upgraded on the Dawn? someone should've warmed me....

Why don't you consider coming with us on the Wind 6/21/05 sailing? Maybe they'll give you a room upgrade, I have found sometimes if you ask you get what you want. We're going to have a great bunch on this sailing.

I was on Pride of Aloha last year when she sailed from San Fran to Hawaii (12 day cruise) NMRita weren't you on this ship for one of the short ones before that? One of its other short jaunts and didn't you experience many problems? While we had a great time, there were many kinks to be ironed out in the dining room due to staff. We are now considering the Panama Canal cruise and have been thinking of this one for the past 6 months. We even have the air booked but haven't liked the prices--not when NCL has had such problems on their early voyages. Still ambivalent about booking and when I hear this kind of stuff happening, it sounds like what happened last May! De ja Vue!

Archived