NCL Cancels Pride of America sailing 6/19/05

nannyny

NJ Tomato,

and we so looking forward to having a great time. What really angers me is NCL's lack of concern for those of us who booked airfare from Miami. My CA is out on a ship but I'm awaiting his return. Add insult to injury, Travel Guard said NO to reimbursement of lost air.

Thanks for the kind words.

Nan

and I upgraded on the Dawn? someone should've warmed me....

No the insurance will never reimburse for air fare lost in this type of situation. Ships cancel or change itineraries quite often, it sucks, but there isn't much we can do about it. It's a bummer for sure. NMNita

Unfortunately Momma will only do 4 max 5 day cruises or I would have jumped a few specials out there. There are just a few cruise lines that do these short sailings (I've been up to Canada twice with momma and she doesn't want to do that trip again).

I sail for the ships, she sails for the ports! What is a daugther ever to do. Thankgoodness for a loving and understanding husband.

I will still research my options. Thanks all. I do like being warm and warned, gotta keep my sense of humor going.

Nan

I'm sorry to hear about your cancelled cruise. There's nothing like looking forward to a great adventure--to have it cancelled. I was reserved on the coastal Pride of Aloha last year---but alas, no cruise! NCL called and cancelled--and offered no other sailing. They just reimbursed me the $100 change fee so I can go on another line--because everything else was sold out that week.

So..instead I went to Vegas--but from that moment on--I didn't like the NCL customer service--and decided to stick with Royal Caribbean. Not one bad sailing, yet!

Godd luck to you all!

I'm sorry to hear about your cancelled cruise. There's nothing like looking forward to a great adventure--to have it cancelled. I was reserved on the coastal Pride of Aloha last year---but alas, no cruise! NCL called and cancelled--and offered no other sailing. They just reimbursed me the $100 change fee so I can go on another line--because everything else was sold out that week.

So..instead I went to Vegas--but from that moment on--I didn't like the NCL customer service--and decided to stick with Royal Caribbean. Not one bad sailing, yet!

Godd luck to you all!

Glad you have had no problems with RCI, did you have a good time in Vegas? I just do have to ask one question; you say you didn't like NCLs customer service, what could they have done differently if everything was sold out that week? Just curious. NMNita

They didn't give me the "warm and toasty" feeling--if that makes any sense. All business. The person at NCL told me there was nothing available in my cabin category---and told me that I didn't have time to upgrade. It didn't make a whole lot of sense when I was on the phone with them--so I just said ok---and called the airline. Off to Vegas--and I had a blast.

All's well that ends well. I just learned my lesson and have yet to book another NCL cruise. I just thought if I could have sailed on another ship---and they were the ones to cancel on me---the least they could have done was put me in another category. They hushed me up and I couldn't explain.

Oh well--I could have made a big stink---but I was happy in Vegas. It's a fun place--thought I was on a cruise watching those big waterfalls at the Bellagio!

They didn't give me the "warm and toasty" feeling--if that makes any sense. All business. The person at NCL told me there was nothing available in my cabin category---and told me that I didn't have time to upgrade. It didn't make a whole lot of sense when I was on the phone with them--so I just said ok---and called the airline. Off to Vegas--and I had a blast.

All's well that ends well. I just learned my lesson and have yet to book another NCL cruise. I just thought if I could have sailed on another ship---and they were the ones to cancel on me---the least they could have done was put me in another category. They hushed me up and I couldn't explain.

Oh well--I could have made a big stink---but I was happy in Vegas. It's a fun place--thought I was on a cruise watching those big waterfalls at the Bellagio!

'glad you had a good time: I hav to admit, when it comes to vacations, for me it's a toss up between Vegas, cruisng and Laughlin. Customer service can make or break any business. the ships being sold out and or cancelled cruises do happen, probably too often and I am not sure any line would have been much different, but as long as you are satisfied with RCI go for it!!! NMnita

HI all,

I am booked for the maiden voyage of the POAM, so I hope the will deliver the ship to NCL on time. The maiden voyage is scheduled from Dover to New- York.I curious about the " Freestyle cruising thing" Was on RCL and Celebrity on board serveral ships. Good pictures are on this site:

www.schiffsphoto.de

just look for the POAM. Very good pictures!

Greetings from cold germany

Sure hope you make out on the Pride. NCL might just "spring" one up on you. My question here is, if they're coming to NYC, why didn't they just rebook us on that sailing? This isn't making any sense to me :confused:

Good news, I booked with RCL in Oct. a 5 day on the "New and Improved" to-be-soon extended Enchantment. To my unbelief the difference in air was $27 (plus penalty which I hope NCL keeps their word and reimburses me).

I'm going to call my CA when he gets back to see what's going on.

TL,

Nan

HI,

no it really does not make sense, that they canceld the NYC - Miami Cruise- I would love to be on a cruise from NY to Miami, sounds great. I am still booked on the maiden voyage. I made the maiden voyage on board the Enchantement of the Seaas in 1997 from Southampton to Barcelona. I was great. All smelled new, all shiny -- just great- I guess you will have the same experience when you board the then " longer" Encchantment, can´t wait to hear the news, when you are back.

Have a great weekend!

Mike from Germany

Mike, well you'll first let me "fare" how the Pride sailing was for you and I'll let you know how your "old" but "now" improved Enchantment fares in Oct. No doubt a newer ship is better than an "oldy" buy we'll compare. First I'll have to sail on this "NCL Dawn". Keeping my fingers crossed that I'll sail quietly and missing the hoopla from the Pride.

TL,

Nan

Hi Nanny of NY

I sure will let you know how the trip on the Pride is. Can´t wait to be there! I was on the Radiance last Dez/ Jan. New Years EVe was great there! As I saw- you were on board RCCL, Celebrity and Carnival- so you really can compare those lines!

Here are my little Cruising Adventure(s)

1997 Grandeur o. t. Seas

1997 Enchantment o.t. Seas

1998 Enchantment of the Seas

1998 Vision of the Seas

1999 Vision of the Seas

2000 Voyager of the Seas

2001 Millenium

2001 Splendour of the Seas

2002 Summit

2002 Brilliance of the Seas

2003 Constellation

2004 Queen Ellisabeth 2

2004 Radiance of the Seas ( Dez.)

2005 Radiance of the Seas ( Jan.)

June 2005 Pride of America

Mike, you've got a list there!

Are you really coming into my City (NY)? Oh I'll be so MAD )(not at you of course) but if the Pride shows up after cancelling my cruise in June! Let me purrrr........

I'm ready to set sail on the Norwegian Dawn 5/1! She's been around a little while, so I hope for no cancels on this one:)

tL,

Nan

we are booked to sail on Pride of America 11.19.2005 7 days hawaiian cruise - we just informed that we will be missing a full 12 hours in Kauai and will be "at sea" instead - I find this unacceptable - sure we can cancel, but already have 8 members with nonrefundable tickets and have planned this a year in advance - I confirmed this wit NCl and they won't even take care of any change penalities - this is not good...........:mad:

we are booked to sail on Pride of America 11.19.2005 7 days hawaiian cruise - we just informed that we will be missing a full 12 hours in Kauai and will be "at sea" instead - I find this unacceptable - sure we can cancel, but already have 8 members with nonrefundable tickets and have planned this a year in advance - I confirmed this wit NCl and they won't even take care of any change penalities - this is not good...........:mad:
This is one reason that people book their air directly with the cruise lines. These changes happen and if you didn't book with the cruise line, unfortunately, you're out of luck if you want to cancel or make changes. But would you really cancel your whole cruise because of that change in itinerary?

The only problem with booking air with NCL directly is the huge markup on the price. My wife and I are sailing the Star from Los Angeles on 4-6-05, and booked airfare on our own from Denver for $198 per person, compared to NCL's air add-on fare of $380 per person. Might be safer to book air with the cruise company directly, but we've found it to be very expensive to do it that way.

We had the exact opposite happen. Cheapest airfare that I could find from Vancouver to Hawaii was $783US compared to NCL fare of $519US. Plus we have the added bonus of feeling 'safe' that they'll do their darndest to get us to the ship.

Sandy

I must be missing something here....what does missing 12 hours in Kauai have to do with your airfare??

Sandy.

Never mind...got it...you want to cancel your cruise because of the missing time in that port...just had an ah ha moment!

s

I am booked on the Pride of America for March 4, 2006. I understand the cruise from NY to Miami in June 05 has been cancelled. I was hoping to get a peek at the ship while it was in NY. Does anyone know if the ship will still be in NY in June, or has that changed as well? My second question is what happened with the Hawaii itinerary that it's not docking in Kauai? I have no interest in being "at sea". I want to dock in Kauai. What's the scoop?

The ship does in fact dock in Kauai at 8AM one day and departs at 6AM the next morning. On some of the other weekly sailings the itinerary is such that you are at Kauai until 6PM. I do know that when I booked my cruise on Feb. 11th (we're sailing October 8th) we knew that the ship left Kauai at 6AM. I'm quite looking forward to having a day to explore this new ship:)

Sandy.

SAMSTRESS

I have to admit that I was a bit confused by the itinerary that said we were spending more time at sea. I have looked at the itenerary posted several times on the NCL website for our cruise on t 10/8 and it says that we will dock in Kauai on Thursday at 10am and we leave on Friday at 6pm. Is this not true? Are we leaving at 6:00am on Friday?

DayPortArriveDepartSat.Honolulu, Oahu

- -

8:00pm

Sun.Kahului, Maui

7:00am

overnight

(Optional tour to Lanai is available)Mon.Kahului, Maui

- -

6:00pm

Tue.Hilo, Hawaii

(Evening Sail By Mount Kilauea)Wed.Kona, Hawaii

Thu.Nawiliwili, Kauai

10:00am

overnight

Fri.Nawiliwili, Kauai

- -

(Scenic cruising)Sat.Honolulu, Oahu

7:00am*

- -

This is what it now says on the NCL site:

7-Day Hawaii - More time at sea itinerary

Pride of America

2005: Oct 8, 15; Nov 26

2006: Jan 14; Mar 11; Apr 22

DayPortArriveDepartSat.Honolulu, Oahu

- -

8:00pm

Sun.Kahului, Maui

overnight

(Optional tour to Lanai is available)Mon.Kahului, Maui

- -

Tue.Hilo, Hawaii

(Evening Sail By Mount Kilauea)Wed.Kona, Hawaii

Thu.Nawiliwili, Kauai

10:00am

overnight

Fri.Nawiliwili, Kauai

- -

(Scenic cruising)Sat.Honolulu, Oahu

7:00am*

- -

Please Note: Arrives Nawiliwili 8:00am and departs 6:00am the following mornin

* Disembarkation usually begins two hours after docking.

Strangely enough, when I had originally looked at this trip, the ship was to be in Kauai from 8AM Thurs. to 6PM Friday. I have the print out from Feb. 10th.

When I booked it, on Feb. 11th the confirmation that I got from the TA stated that it arrived in Kauai at 8AM Thurs. and departed on Fri. at 6AM. Now, as I said above I don't mind the sea day so it didn't matter to me...and I had a choice as to whether to go ahead with the deal given the change. However, I can see how it might be upsetting to miss out on a day on the Island if you had originally been planning on it.

I'm not sure why they made the change.

But I'm sure stranger things have happened:)

Cheers,

Sandy

Hi Folks,

I am a travel agent with a major cruise booking company in Phoenix. I have just gotten off the phone with NCL's Customer Relations department. POAM has most assuredly been cancelled for 6/19/05. Customers are being offered a 50pp ship board credit on their next NCL cruise for pax 1 and 2 in the cabin only.

Passengers with airfare confirmed should call their travel agent immediately to be reaccomodated. NCL said they will deal with airfare changes on a case by case basis. Individuals booked through NCL directly may call customer relations at 1-866-625-1164 to recieve compensation or rebooking.

On a personal note, it seemed that the people at NCL really didn'tknow what was going on (probably becasue many work form home). Most of the sales agents I spoke to didn't know about the cancellation. 50pp is very small compensation for an inaugural cancellation. I highly recommend escalating any issues you might have with NCL to the leadership at customer relations. This is not the first time this ship has been delayed!

NCL just called me back.

In order to receive reimbursement for expenses incurred (I.E change fees and penalties from the airline). Passengers will need to fax confirmation from the airline, including specific costs, to customer relations at 305-436-4108. NCL will then "evaluate the request" and issue appropriate refunds.

Sounds like more hoops. Good luck!

Archived