NCL Cancels Pride of America sailing 6/19/05

nannyny

A little note about airfare and trip insurance...if you use an OUTSIDE insurer (not the cruise line), you CAN include the cost of your airfare in your trip insurance, and if your trip is cancelled you would be reimbursed for any of the non-refundable charges your airline has. I do this all the time with Travelex, and many other outside insurance carriers offer this as well. You can check pricing and compare policies at www.insuremytrip.com .

Hi,

I got an email yesterday from NCL - Germany, the maiden voyage of POAM is still scheduled at June 8. No cancelation so fare. Very curious about the new ship, with its ill fated past! Hopefully the maiden voyage does not fail- I cross fingers- no icebergs in the North Atlantic in June. ( At leat I hope so, LOL)

Greetings

Michael

AZ,

they did credit me $100 on my upcoming 5/1 Dawn sailing. Finally, after 10 days I just received my deposit. We've faxed my change penalty fee as I was told it would be reimbursed but that might take some time as well. I made sure I got the reimbursement for air penalty change in writing.

I would have really enjoyed sailing the Pride, but will thoroughly enjoy the "new and improved" Enchantment of the Seas in October.

Mike, I hope you post pack on your sailing.

TL,

Nan

Do you think there will be any other cancellations to follow?

It would be awful if in a week or two another sailing is cancelled. The next sailing is through the canal. It seems that if that one gets cancelled there will be several other delays to follow.

Let's hope for the best!

Hi nannyny,

I sure will post when on board the Pride- can´t wait, counting day. I am jealous about your cruising on board the Enchantment- :D ! Wanna see my old " buddy" enlarged and refited, hope they have done good to hear, as she was beatyful in the beginning!

Greetings

Mike

Hi Nanny

great that you like Bavaria, I live very close to munich tough. I love the area too, but the east part of german is nice also, we were unable to visit this part of germany for more than 40 years though. I let you know when I know more about your/my ship:D . A real ship fan lives in Bremerhaven, where the Pride is build, he is keeping me up with the latest pictures.

Greetings and have a nice weekend

Mike

Mike,

A quick ? - is she (your ship) coming to NYC? I'd be really upset if she was and we weren't booked. Hey, you never know....... I'm ready to sail on my first NCL - ship and I've got a great group of ladies ready to "go". Dont' forget to keep me posted as I you with the New and Improved Enchatment.

Did you hear about the new Princess Crown coming to NYC next year? For sure, I'm booking come April 1st. My 25th is next January so a sailing to Bermuda would just make that an "extra treat"!.

Be well, Tl,

Nan

We might be on the same cruise. I had a reservation but it went poof yesterday. Nobody can explain.

As far as the POAM I am surprised nobody else on any of the boards has posted that there is a problem with the trip or thier reservation. $50 OBC does not sound like the normal compensation for a cancelled cruise.

Can any of you TA confirm in fact this cruise has been cancelled.

One thing I have learned here is you need more then one source for any info. good or bad.

The cruise has in fact been cancelled, all NCL reps confirmed that. Maybe the obc is so low b/c it was only a 4-day cruise, I don't think it was that expensive to begin with.

Hi Nan,

I have been informed lately that the Maiden Voyage is still starting at June 8 from Dover to New York, I am booked on a balcaony cabin. So the POAM arrives in NYC at June 15 ! I have no idea why they canceld the NY- Miami cruise- I have been told that they make a few inaugural cruises then. I did not hear from the Princessship, when will it arrive??? Mabe I can book for another Maiden Voyage- LOL!

I am really curious about NCL- you know I were just on RCL, Cunard and Celebrity Ships- can´t wait to see if the freestyle cruiseing works for me.

Greetings and lets stay in touch !

Mike

HI all,

I am booked for the maiden voyage of the POAM, so I hope the will deliver the ship to NCL on time. The maiden voyage is scheduled from Dover to New- York.I curious about the " Freestyle cruising thing" Was on RCL and Celebrity on board serveral ships. Good pictures are on this site:

www.schiffsphoto.de

just look for the POAM. Very good pictures!

Greetings from cold germany

DISREGARD

Sure hope you make out on the Pride. NCL might just "spring" one up on you. My question here is, if they're coming to NYC, why didn't they just rebook us on that sailing? This isn't making any sense to me :confused:

Good news, I booked with RCL in Oct. a 5 day on the "New and Improved" to-be-soon extended Enchantment. To my unbelief the difference in air was $27 (plus penalty which I hope NCL keeps their word and reimburses me).

I'm going to call my CA when he gets back to see what's going on.

TL,

Nan

DISREGARD

I briefed through a lot of the postings on this thread, and it just brings back a lot of stress...

I, too, was one of those booked on the "original" Pride of America itineries that ended up on Pride of Aloha. My trip was fantastic, no complaints at all as I'm sure many know.

BUT - the stress that came with the anticipation and planning of this trip (because it occured early in the life of POA) was like no other. I will NEVER plan a cruise on a ship that is early in the ship's life again. Fortunately for me, NCL got it together before we sailed, and we had a great time. Unfortunately, we had to deal with the stress in vacation planning.

Some day, I will cruise the POAM, because it's something we want to do, and we know they will get it right eventually (and in saying this, IMHO it won't take long). However, it won't be until we can plan with enjoyment, not stress.

Like ShoreGuy says, it's Ground Hog Day. . . . wait for next Spring to plan a trip on this ship, if it doesn't look right....

I agree with you BoofD - The stress can hurt you and I'm still waiting for NCl to keep their part of the "bargain". No $$ for penalty in change of air.

Mike, the Crown Princess will "start" and we say that with lots of trepidition - in June of 2007. I won't book anything until late August early Sept. But my 25th Anniversary is worthy of such a vessel - its 116,000 tons and all!

Mike, it's not so warm here in NYC. I'll let you know about this "freesytle" cruising, it will be my first!

TL,

Nanny

Hi

thank you Nan, sounds like a real big one this crown princess- mabe- I don´t know yet. Will see how that freestyle thinkg goes for me!

Have a good weekend! Hopefully NCL is good to you after all the troubles they made!

Greetings Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Finally received from NCL reimbursement for penalty fee incurred for change of air. Let's see what the Norwegian Dawn is going to be like in May. Hawaii may be on another line.

Mike, hope all is well in your "neck of the woods".

TL,

Nan

Was this the Boston Cruise? Massport [The Port of Boston] only just posted the 19th as a 1 day port of Call.

http://www.massport.com

Without advance warning, nor offering a reason why - NCL dropped the bomb today and announced they're cancelling the Pride of America inaugural 6/19/05 sailing. They offered me $50pp credit for another sailing. The best my agent could do was to get NCL to reimburse me for airfare penalty change when and if I decide to rebook. I'm trying hard to stay calm.

Archived