Passports

Black Lab

Hi,

This may sound like a daft question, but do you have to take your passport with you when you disembark at your Island destinations?

It's actually a good question. Most ships only require you to have your ship card and a form of photo ID on you (like a driver's license) to get on and off the ship at each port.

Whether or not you choose to keep your passport on you at all times is really a personal decision.

No--you are not required to even HAVE a passport by any of the Caribbean countries if you're a cruise passenger. You should, however, have some form of ID...your driver's lic. is the same size as your cabin key, so that's an easier (and waterproof!) option.

Quite a few cruise lines take, and keep, passports for the entire cruise, even for Caribbean and Alaska cruises. So if the cruise line knows you don't need it off the ship, then that's OK by me. Seeing you're from Scotland, the cruise line could very well take your passport as they tend to do that for non-North American passengers.

It is an individual decision; most people do not, some do. For me I rarely take my passport with me, but if I am doing an excursion that travels far from the ship and does not involve swimming or an activity where I would fear my passport being lost/damaged/stolen then I do bring it with me.

Quite a few cruise lines take, and keep, passports for the entire cruise, even for Caribbean and Alaska cruises. So if the cruise line knows you don't need it off the ship, then that's OK by me. Seeing you're from Scotland, the cruise line could very well take your passport as they tend to do that for non-North American passengers.

They aren't going to ever get MY passport and keep it. I don't see how that's legal *shrug*

3 cruises so far....I kept my passport on my person.

found this googling...not sure I understand it, but maybe it explains why mine wasn't ever taken...

=====================================

I'm pretty sure that passport keeping in Alaska cruise are specific to passenger nationality.

I have been helping my international friends arranging their Alaska cruises for almost five years now. I've heard this happening to more than 10 of my friends.

As I have posted earlier, the passport keeping mostly applies to Seattle roundtrip sailings.

The reason is the ship has to call Victoria or Prince Rupert, and Canadian entry procedure is done behind the scene for most passengers. To save time, there is no passport inspection when arriving Victoria.

Most passengers are from USA, Canada, and Europe. None of them need Canadian visa and they don't need to be inspected. Canadian officials just check the passenger list and identify those who require visa.

In this case, nationals who need Canadian visa have to surrender their passport before arriving Victoria so the Canadian officials have the opportunity to process the documents and stamp the passports "behind the scene". This should not apply to a NB, SB, or Vancouver roundtrip cruises, as all passengers go through USA or Canada immigration in Vancouver. No behind-the-scene passport inspection is needed in these cases.

They aren't going to ever get MY passport and keep it. I don't see how that's legal *shrug*

Well someday perhaps you're going to take a Mediterranean cruise, or other itinerary, where the ship is required by local authorities to hold your passport, and find you have no choice in the matter.

If you are planning to walk around the area near the pier I don't see a need to take it with you.

Same for an excursion made through your cruiseline, as they will wait for you if your excursion is late.

However, if you plan on private tours or touring on your own in unfamiliar surroundings, I would absolutely take it.

Being late to the pier and seeing your ship out in the water sailing away from you is not the position you want to be in. If you are left behind and need to fly to another destination you will need that passport.

On my cruise a couple weeks ago in 2 ports we were late in leaving as we had to wait for ship excursions that were late returning.

Have fun on your cruise.

It is not a matter of it being legal/illegal. While they can't force you to surrender your passport, if they request your passport and you refuse to surrender it, they can deny you boarding.

It is not a matter of it being legal/illegal. While they can't force you to surrender your passport, if they request your passport and you refuse to surrender it, they can deny you boarding.

traveller 20074 talks a good game but to no avail.. i did a Tahaiti cruise and said the same thing when i arrived "I AM AN AMERICAN CITIZEN AND NO ONE WILL TAKE MY PASSPORT" the port authority person said "either surrender your passport or fly home now, because we will not let you board without you giving up your passport"--"NEXT" i kept my mouth shut, gave up my passport and boarded the ship.. by the way, that was a wonderful 15 day south pacific cruise.......

No--you are not required to even HAVE a passport by any of the Caribbean countries if you're a cruise passenger. You should, however, have some form of ID...your driver's lic. is the same size as your cabin key, so that's an easier (and waterproof!) option.

Actually, seeing as the OP is from the UK, they are required to have a passport for Caribbean Cruises.

To the OP.

There is always a debate about this, you will need photo ID and your seapass for some, most, ports of call. If you have the 2 part driving license then the photo card part will surfice. You can always use your passport.

The only problem with not taking your passport ashore, is that, in the event that you miss the ship, you will have a tough time flying to either the next port of call to catch up with the ship, or home, without a passport.

I ALWAYS take my passport with me whenever I'm off the ship.

I agree, no one can "force" you to surrender your passport to the cruise line; just like no one can force them to allow you to board the ship.

3 cruises so far....I kept my passport on my person.

found this googling...not sure I understand it, but maybe it explains why mine wasn't ever taken...

=====================================

I've been on a few more cruises than you (65), and if you do not surrender your passport, you won't be going on the cruise. It's not the cruise line's rules, but the rules of the countries you're visiting. Being legal has nothing to do with it, as far as US rules go. Once you leave the US, you follow the laws of the country you're visiting. There are even countries where, if you stay in a hotel, they require the hotel to take, and keep, your passport for the duration of your stay. So, for many cruises, you either surrender your passport, or you don't cruise.

I ALWAYS take my passport with me whenever I'm off the ship.

I agree, no one can "force" you to surrender your passport to the cruise line; just like no one can force them to allow you to board the ship.

Oh, yes they can. It's NOT the cruise line, but the countries you're visiting. You won't find this for Caribbean cruises or even European cruises, but if you take a more exotic cruise to Africa, South America, Asia and the Middle East, you have absolutely no choice. If you don't hand over your passport, you don't take the cruise. I was in line behind a couple who insisted they would not give their passport and the local agent at the port said if they don't give them the passport, they can fly back home, as they will not be allowed to board the ship. When you leave the US, you're not protected by US laws. You must obey the laws of the country you're visiting.

Oh, yes they can. It's NOT the cruise line, but the countries you're visiting. You won't find this for Caribbean cruises or even European cruises, but if you take a more exotic cruise to Africa, South America, Asia and the Middle East, you have absolutely no choice. If you don't hand over your passport, you don't take the cruise. I was in line behind a couple who insisted they would not give their passport and the local agent at the port said if they don't give them the passport, they can fly back home, as they will not be allowed to board the ship. When you leave the US, you're not protected by US laws. You must obey the laws of the country you're visiting.

Hi, I know this thread kind of got off topic, but I was wondering if anyone knows why this is? I haven't taken any exotic cruises so was just wondering...

I can understand every country asking you to hand it over so they can inspect it and what not, but why do they take it and keep it for the duration of the vacation instead of letting you carry it around with you? Also, has anyone had any issues getting it back?

Just curious...

Hi, I know this thread kind of got off topic, but I was wondering if anyone knows why this is? I haven't taken any exotic cruises so was just wondering...

I can understand every country asking you to hand it over so they can inspect it and what not, but why do they take it and keep it for the duration of the vacation instead of letting you carry it around with you? Also, has anyone had any issues getting it back?

Just curious...

It is to facilitate the process of passport examination. The process varies widely depending on what countries are being visited.

As one example, some cruises in the Mediterranean stick to visiting countries in the EU -- thus no problem with passport control. However, on cruises that visit Turkey, the passports all have to be examined and stamped prior to disembarking in Turkey, then if the next port (or the one after) is back in the EU, they must all be examined and stamped again.

A second example: on Holy Land cruises, ports often include both Israel and Egypt. Israeli officials meet individually with every passenger to review their passports. On the ship I was on with 2,000 passengers, this process took the better part of a day and some pax were grumbling due to the need to report to the lounge at a certain time, stand in line, etc. This is the sort of thing that is avoided in cases where the ship has all the passports and individual inspection for the majority is not required. Of course, not possible with Israeli security! To enter Egypt, a tourist visa is required, so Egyptian officials will also board the ship early (often on a sea day before arrival) and will review the passports and provide the appropriate visa stamp for each -- without the need for everyone to line up.

Even if one of these "special cases" doesn't occur, it was mentioned to me on the cruise I took this fall that covered some unusual ground (Lebanon, Syria, Egypt, etc), that at any time when the ship is seeking to gain clearance, officials can demand to review all the passports of passengers. Can you imagine trying to round up all the passports of passengers eager to get ashore, and the delay this would cause?

I have been on 4 cruises where versions of this have occurred. I have not heard of any cruiser who had a problem with getting their passport returned.

It is to facilitate the process of passport examination. The process varies widely depending on what countries are being visited.

As one example, some cruises in the Mediterranean stick to visiting countries in the EU -- thus no problem with passport control. However, on cruises that visit Turkey, the passports all have to be examined and stamped prior to disembarking in Turkey, then if the next port (or the one after) is back in the EU, they must all be examined and stamped again.

A second example: on Holy Land cruises, ports often include both Israel and Egypt. Israeli officials meet individually with every passenger to review their passports. On the ship I was on with 2,000 passengers, this process took the better part of a day and some pax were grumbling due to the need to report to the lounge at a certain time, stand in line, etc. This is the sort of thing that is avoided in cases where the ship has all the passports and individual inspection for the majority is not required. Of course, not possible with Israeli security! To enter Egypt, a tourist visa is required, so Egyptian officials will also board the ship early (often on a sea day before arrival) and will review the passports and provide the appropriate visa stamp for each -- without the need for everyone to line up.

Even if one of these "special cases" doesn't occur, it was mentioned to me on the cruise I took this fall that covered some unusual ground (Lebanon, Syria, Egypt, etc), that at any time when the ship is seeking to gain clearance, officials can demand to review all the passports of passengers. Can you imagine trying to round up all the passports of passengers eager to get ashore, and the delay this would cause?

I have been on 4 cruises where versions of this have occurred. I have not heard of any cruiser who had a problem with getting their passport returned.

Makes sense! Thanks for the explanation! :)

When I stayed at the Burj Al Arab hotel in Dubai, they took my passport and kept it until I checked out. There were various reasons for this such as security and liability. In Turkey the hotel also took my passport. They said it was in case of a terrorist attack (that didn't make me happy).

On my world cruises, it just made it easier for the local authorities to check the passports. Imagine how much time you lose if you had to stand in line with your passport at every single stop? By the third port, passengers would be complaining in droves about having to stand in line every day to have their passports checked. There are some countries that are very strict on this, such as Israel and a few Arab countries.

Even if your cruise is completely within Schengen nations in the Med, circumstances can still cause the cruise line to hold passports. We cruised from Barcelona a week after the G8 summit was held in Naples, but due to ongoing security increases associated with the summit, NCL held our passports for the first four days of the cruise.

More disturbing to me was the lack of attention NCL paid. I walked up and claimed 8 family passports and they simply handed them to me without question. All I gave them was a list of cabin numbers, and they handed them over.

Thanks Euro and Kitty~

I have a better understanding of why they do it now.I would hate to stand in long lines at every single port just to have someone inspect it my passport. At the same time, it's a little scary knowing that's its mixed in with 1000,2000, or more other passports, in the hands of strangers who might be inattentive. It sounds like it works out though since everyone is in the same boat (no pun intended..:))

Thanks again!

Archived