Correct pronunciation??

swanny727

How do you pronounce Roatan? I am hoping the locals, and crewsweeper

can help me with this. For years I have been pronouncing it

"Row -a -tahn" (rhymes with john) but have heard others say

"Row - a- tan" (rhymes with Dan). Maybe not a big deal to some people but I like to be respectful of the residents.

Thanks, Diane

How do you pronounce Roatan? I am hoping the locals, and crewsweeper

can help me with this. For years I have been pronouncing it

"Row -a -tahn" (rhymes with john) but have heard others say

"Row - a- tan" (rhymes with Dan). Maybe not a big deal to some people but I like to be respectful of the residents.

Thanks, Diane

I've always heard "tan" (but I'm deaf and "a" and "ah" aren't that much different to my 4 ears:)) Maybe watchdiva can tell us how the locals pronounce it.

I have been pronouncing it as "Row-a-tahn" as well, while others have said Row-a-tan" But I was thinking that my way was right because of how the "A" sounds in Spanish (wich is "ah").

But am curious to know as well.

Thanks Host Kat...

To the OP, no need to worry about being embarassed or dis-sing local if you mis pronounce Roatan. Unlike the French the locals won't snicker and point and stick their noses up in the air because of a small gaff.

Have a good cruise and enjoy your stay on the island.:)

Sorry, I should have done a search first. (I thought I was the only one confused) Thanks Kat and crewsweeper. Maybe Watchdiva will still weigh-in with her opinion. I also thought the "a" would be "ah" as I learned in Spanish class. Didn't want to look like dumb American tourists. In Italy, we actually heard one say "gracias", after asking "Donde esta el bano" The waiter responded in English lol.

It all depends on who you ask. This forum is mostly english speaking non Hondurans , including myself so take it all with a grain of salt. I spend most time on the island with Native Islanders and mainland Hondurans, both of whome regularly speak spanish and the pronounciation i hear most is more like Rowtahn spoken rather quickly but anyway you say it you gotta love it.

Archived