Help from anyone with Celiacs?

Dee777

Hello!

I was just diagnosed with Celiacs the day before yesterday. I have read that Carnival will work with you on the diet, so I called my PVP who told me that for sure I can arrange for a gluten free menu on board. I am just wondering if any of you have ordered from this menu, and what types of food do they offer?

Thank you for any help you can give me! Cruising on the Glory next month, so excited!

My husband is not celiac but is gluten intolerant and uses Carnival's gluten free menu every cruise. They can pretty much fix any item on the regular menu gluten free. We even did the chef's dinner one night and they fixed all his entrees gluten free. have a great cruise! Just make sure you fill out the form that states your allergy.

pat

I just read your post and would suggest that you make a call to Carnival to see if there is anything you need to do before your cruise to assure that you will have access to the special diet. I hope you have a good time on your cruise.

Thank you both very much for your replies, it is very much appreciated! I will for sure call them again to make sure there is nothing else I need to do prior to our cruise!

I am so looking forward to this cruise, I have been sick a long time and to finally have a name to the illness and to know I can manage it is just icing on the (gluten free) cake! lol

My sister has a number of dietary issues (gluten being one) and she had no problem on our cruise in September. I told my PVP (I made the reservations) and then once we were on board we spoke with the maitre d' and the first dinner a young woman came to our table, discussed with my sister her needs briefly and then a meal was prepared specially for my sister. She was very happy both in taste and presentation.

Have a great cruise!

Seeing the Mairte de once onboard is VEry important.

You can talk to a lot of people from your PVP and carnival by phone-- speaking to the people who will help you with your special diet is the best thing you can do.

I will post something on the gluten free foods available when I come back . We are leaving on monday..

Im going on a cruise with my parents. My mother has been on the celiacs diet for 25 yrs now..

others have posted on this, use the search function

My advise for you is to think and make a list of foods you can eat so when the matri di comes to ask you each night what you want for dinner you will have a list of foods that you like.

They will bring you the menu for the next day and you check it out to see what you are able to eat. I once saw a lady order some white rice, an avocado sliced and some other foods. It looked real healthy. She looked normal weight too.

Grocery stores have the gluten free pancake mix and other gluten free goodies. I know you will lose weight on this new diet and feel great.

Make your own breads at home because the store bought breads are lousy and hard/tough and not tasty.

I was on that diet for awhile and I liked it.

Thank you, Lucy! I am learning so much about this whole celiac diet thing my head is spinning! Checked out the breads at the store. Where I live, our choices are so limited, and the stupid bread is 6 dollars a loaf! :eek:

I have IBS, gluten intolerance and borderline celiac.

I also cant eat red sauce or peppers. After being sick for so long also and living with this I don't even make them aware onboard. I pretty much know what makes me sick or triggers and attack and try to avoid it. There are so many choices onboard, trust me I never go hungry but do crave and miss pizza. At home I use gluten free crust and add cheese and ham. They make gluten free cheese.

Being new to this I would do what others have posted but please be assured, it gets easier to live with as you go along. I remember how scary it was in the beginning.

Good luck, Good Health and enjoy your cruise:)

Also as mentioned gluten free is in no way cheap! Not at all but so worth not having excruciating pain!

DEE, That hard bread at the store is not worth the money. I even tried gluten free tortillas that were hard to digest.lol.

Better to make yourself some of those gluten free pancakes and use it as bread instead of the store bought rocks. Stores do sell gluten free rice flour so you can makes some goodies like cookies and cup-cakes.

You can also make a large pot of rice to eat with your dinners instead of bread. I am learning to eat without bread.

Wow, you people are simply AWESOME, thank you all for the great information AND the support! It's been a crazy week, seems like every time I turn around there is something ELSE I am finding out I can't eat. Thanks to you all again, it is appreciated. 15 more sleeps YAHOOOO!

DS 18 is celiac; poor kid was diagnosed on 12/24/08. Being a typical teenager, he doesn't strictly follow the diet as I wish he would, but I try to provide as much GF as possible at home.

I have a tip for anyone making GF pancakes. Find a recipe for buttermilk pancakes (I use the one from the Betty Crocker cookbook). For some reason, buttermilk really helps give the GF flours a nice lift, regular flavor and eliminates the grittiness. I have been substituting buttermilk in all my GF baking if the recipe calls for milk with great results.

Good luck on your cruise! Come back and post your meal experiences and photos; I'll be looking for it.:)

ANY gluten will continue to make a celiacs symtoms worse...you shouldn't eat ANY, EVER....it destroys the "inner workings" of your digestive track....

All of the cruiselines have "gluten free" offerings...you just have to inform them. Contact the 'special needs' dept. before sailing.

My husband is not celiac but is gluten intolerant and uses Carnival's gluten free menu every cruise. They can pretty much fix any item on the regular menu gluten free. We even did the chef's dinner one night and they fixed all his entrees gluten free. have a great cruise! Just make sure you fill out the form that states your allergy.

pat

My BIL has celiac's . The had chef ask's him the night before what will have at

dinner the next day. He looks at the next days menu points out what will have to eat.:cool:

I have been diagnosed with Celiac for 3 years. Yes it is very hard when you go out to eat. I have met people that have lost weight and gained weight. Unfortunately, I gained weight. They also serve GF Pizza too which is okay. Creme Brulee and melting cake they also make GF. They have bread which isn't bad if you use jelly. We had no problems on the Freedom Twice. Last year the Dream wasn't quite as good. They made a few mistakes but then they were okay. We are going on Miracle soon if we get out with all the snow. If you have to eat on Lido Deck. I just get a cheeseburger. French Fries were okay too.

Archived